Macverick (4.2%)
Vitael Spark (4.4%)
Holy Daze (5%)
Sanda Blonde (5.5%)
Sanda Black (5.5%)
Ruvaal (5.5%)
Sublime Stout (6.8%)
Zombier (6.9%)

Not going to bother with tasting notes for each, as these are easily available but my favourite were the Ruvaal which was quite a bitter (the hops had 20+% alpha acid!) beer. Pretty flat, and I suggested to the Loch Fyne brewers that were there that it would be better carbonated, but ultimately a lovely drink. I had a couple glasses of this!
I also really enjoyed the Hurricane Jack which was an IPA (I love my IPAs!) and a pretty competent one at that but it did lack body.
Mention to Sublime Stout, the two Sanda's and the Vital Spark - all great beers. Avoid the Highlander & Maverick though, not great.
Ultimately they were all decent beers (bar the Highlander & Mav'), though they did all seem to lack body but they did really coat your mouth and that lasted for a long time. I guess that's their style. The guy running the tasting (head brewer, I think) said that they like to make balanced beer, rather than 'stunt beers'.
A good selection though, and again I highly recommend a beer tasting night to anyone!

Followed that with a visit to the Pot Still where we had a pint of bitter (forgot which one), two Coal Ila 12s & an Auchentoshan 10. Coal Ila is stupidly good whisky.

Now just munching on a cheese and pickle sandwich whilst working through a hefty Talisker 10.

Caporegime
Bottle of Bud :)

EDIT: One for the BrewDog people on here...

What would you pick from this selection... Dead Pony Club, Trashy Blonde, Dogma, International Arms Race, Liberitne Black Ale, Hoppy Christmas, My Name is Beastie as well as their limited edition Abstrakt range?

OK I've had the My name is Beastie, and enjoyed it too :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just read on google that they ceased production when Diageo took over. It was shortly after the takeover that we stopped working in it as well.

Having a few draught guinness to pass the evening in.

Soldato
Last drop of Talisker in the bottle.

Bottle of Bud :)

EDIT: One for the BrewDog people on here...

What would you pick from this selection... Dead Pony Club, Trashy Blonde, Dogma, International Arms Race, Liberitne Black Ale, Hoppy Christmas, My Name is Beastie as well as their limited edition Abstrakt range?

OK I've had the My name is Beastie, and enjoyed it too :)

Which Abstrakt? There are quite a few now. Of them, I'd go for the International Arms Race though I haven't had Hoppy Christmas yet.

Sierra Nevada :)

Got a bottle of red warming up for later also.

It's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's 32nd birthday today, don'tchaknow.

Is this a nice whiskey?

ickH8l.jpg

I had that Glenmorangie yesterday, for £2.10 a dram. I said to my friend, "£2.10 is about £2 too much." ;)
As for the JD Whiskey, it's pretty niche. If you were giving it to a whisky fan, I doubt you'd get a particularly favourable reaction.
Get to Tesco and buy a Talisker, Laphroaig or Doublewood. All £25 atm.

Caporegime
Which Abstrakt? There are quite a few now. Of them, I'd go for the International Arms Race though I haven't had Hoppy Christmas yet.

Not honestly sure about the Abstrakt, just that have some... I'll let you know next week when I make a trip down to see :) Cheers

... a cup of tea

@raymond ... thinking of trying them or buying them as presents?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not honestly sure about the Abstrakt, just that have some... I'll let you know next week when I make a trip down to see :) Cheers

... a cup of tea

@Raymond ... thinking of trying them or buying them as presents?

You're best looking at the Brewdog website and seeing which ones take your fancy. I can't remember if the labels are particularly helpful.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Caol Ila Ahleckz, do get it right! You are right though, it's one of my favourite drams.

And Raymond, pass on both of those. The JD is an odd taste and the Glenmorangie is marginally better than Bells/Grouse, far better out there for similar price

Soldato
My wife's birthday today - so we've both enjoyed a few alcoholic beverages. I'm currently on my usual (John Smiths) however I was forced to try Black Grouse earlier on round the in-laws and never again! :eek:

Bit of a smoky and slightly peaty taste with a horrible after taste - think I'll stick to the decent smooth Speyside malts in future :p

Back
Top Bottom