The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Went to see the new Spider-Man movie today. Thought it was really good. Afterwards I went for some dinner at a nearby pub/restaurant called Scots Bonnet. I've been there a number of times in the past and always enjoyed it, though its been over a year since my last visit. How time changes things...

UizkNd.jpg

They had a new starter they didn't have last time I was there, scallops with crispy bacon, on a minted pea puree with garlic and parsley butter. Oh dear, this was a letdown! I'm a sucker for a good scallop dish and this was not one. The scallops were very pale, with almost no sear. The pea puree wasn't awful exactly, but it wasn't nice and didn't go well with the scallops. The bacon wasn't all that crispy either...

I guess that's what you get when you order scallops from a pub. Shame really, cause I know they can do better quality starters. Their black pudding and bubble & squeak stack for example is lovely.

LHWXaK.jpg

The main was an Avocado & chorizo topped beef burger, served with two asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto, fries, coleslaw and spicy mayo dip. The burger was average, definitely nothing to rave above. I didn't taste much in the way of chorizo, so unless it was on the bottom I'm half suspecting they forgot to put it on. The asparagus spears were actually nice. The fries and coleslaw was also passable. And the spicy dip was ok. But overall I have to say this was an average at best meal. Quite let down, compared to meals I've had there before. Dunno if there's been a change in management or a new chef, but I wouldn't rush back :(

Soldato
Those Scallops look awful.....totally ruined.

Pea puree?? Looks more like mushy peas to me. Crispy bacon....looks like it's barely seen any heat at all!!

Soldato
Went to McPhabbs in Glasgow today to try out their Bottomless Brunch. Simple concept. Its £15 per person. You get a 2 hour reservation. You start with 3 plates, then you can order additional plates one at a time until you either can't eat any more or run out of time.

z8ns1d.jpg

7G6v6v.jpg

Zro0bu.jpg

These were my first 3 plates. In order, a chorizo and black pudding frittata with mushroom ketchup, which was freaking amazing! Seriously, the first dish I had was hands down the best. Wish I'd gotten more than one of those now. Second plate was a McMuffin Benedict - sausage, gruyere cheese, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. Also very nice. The third plate was a sweetcorn pancake with smashed avocado and poached egg. Again, very nice, though I think the pink stuff was some kind of onion. So I avoided that like the plague.

UrEJHn.jpg

For round two, moving onto single plates, I ordered the BBQ brisket beans with shallots and parmesan crumb. This was another really good dish. The beans were nice and the brisket was tasty. This and the first dish were the two that I would have eaten multiple helpings of.

0hWgZd.jpg

For round three I went for creamy mushrooms on toasted brioche with tarragon and fried egg. Gonna be honest, this one didn't do it for me. I would have much preferred a poached egg to a fried egg. The mushrooms were tasty enough, but I just don't think it worked well as a dish. Definitely would NOT order this one again.

kmip2o.jpg

Decided to round things off with a dessert plate. Banana bread French toast with strawberry cream cheese. This was nice, though honestly, even though the strawberry cream cheese was pretty nice, I would have much preferred it with maple syrup like they serve it during the normal brunch service.

Still, considering I got 6 plates and 2 soft drinks and my bill was £19, I really can't complain at all. Not all the dishes were perfect, but they really do put in a lot of effort into the food and the service is friendly. Anyone near Glasgow, I'd seriously recommend giving them a try when they do the next Bottomless Brunch :)

Associate
I wouldn't go there if you paid me. I've heard many horror stories. Next time you're in Kilmarnock try Dragon Royale on Titchfield Street, it's pretty good and reasonably priced especially if you go for the early bird menu.

Back
Top Bottom