1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The **Now Eating** Thread

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by J1234, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Kainz

Capodecina

Yes I know. Everyone giggled helplessly when the go karts induction video kicked in and stated you should not drive whilst under the influence :D

No pics but I’m destroying a large pack of Walkers Max Strong Jalalapeno and Cheese whilst watching Pennyworth. Mouth is on fire!

2. Craig1981

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Weekend special at Scran. Chinese style pork belly with mixed vegetables, egg noodles, in a rich soy & ginger broth, topped with a Thai spiced fried egg. Delicious! The broth was fantastic. So much flavour! I could have happily had a bowl of just that and drank it like soup. The pork and noodles were well cooked. And I liked the egg! Yummy! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tried out a newly opened taco place for lunch, Mezcal on Hope Street. I had pork tacos with braised pork leg marinated in achiote seeds, black beans and mezcal pico salsa. Was really nice! And I got a side of fresh corn with jalapeño mayonnaise, fresh cheese and chili powder.

Will definitely be going back there to eat again :)

3. Raikiri

Capodecina

I made rosemary, thyme and olive focaccia at work just as a tester (never made it before).

[​IMG]

Did a small one for myself and I'm having it with some salami atm.

4. billysielu

Capodecina

thought you'd made weeto bread

5. Craig1981

Capodecina

[​IMG]

I got a lift home from work from a work colleague. She mentioned on the way she was hungry and suggested popping into McDonalds. Why the heck not I thought. Got myself the Canadian stack burger to try, which was quite nice. Also got a 3 piece chicken select, a portion of cheese melts and a small coke zero. Not bad for a late night snack :D

6. Captain

Capodecina

I had the Indian chicken burger last week, wasn’t a fan at all. :(

7. robfosters

Caporegime

Giving that a miss. Burger Lad didn’t rate it at all.

8. Craig1981

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Weekend special at Scran. Slow roasted maple pulled brisket on spiced butternut squash puree & toasted sourdough, topped with poached eggs and tarragon hollandaise sauce. Damn that brisket was good :D

[​IMG]

Had lunch at Bar Soba. Starter was cheeseburger spring rolls with soba mayo. Really tasty and the dipping sauce was spicy! Very glad I tried this :)

[​IMG]

The main sadly was a let down. Chicken katsu curry, but the sauce was really thin, to the point of practically being soup. I prefer a thicker consistency. Also the chicken had a nice texture, but it was kinda lacking in flavour. I've had way better chicken elsewhere. It wasn't a terrible dish, but I was unimpressed and would never order it again.

9. Zico

Mobster

10. Minibiker

Soldato

@Zico We have a food van at Ashton Gate (Bristol City Ground) that does these wraps.... Very tasty indeed!

11. Zico

Mobster

Spent a few moments at work on Friday going through the photos :D

12. bsoltan

Mobster

Saturday morning pancakes, tried out a new recipe, was quite impressed with the thickness.

[​IMG]

Tonight, did some jerk fish with a celeriac slaw and sweet potato.

[​IMG]

13. Nevakonaza

Mobster

I had this also,Was horrible..dry,Why on earth they use chicken tenders on them now instead of actual burgers is beyond me,Because when you pick it up just all falls out regardless of how you hold it,They have done the same with the veggie burgers changed it from actual round burgers to "pieces".

imo Mcdonalds UK has gone downhill recently.

I've not long come back from Cyprus and their McDonalds is 10x better than ours so much nicer,fresh.

14. Craig1981

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Been a while since I last had breakfast at Bill's. The Garden Plate is nice! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lunch at Six By Nico, trying out the New York theme (which they've done before, but the dishes were different this time)

15. Marvt74

Capodecina

I've booked Six by Nico for December for our actual anniversary since we're going away in January for our main anniversary trip.

Figure it'll be a nice experience without spending too much. Can't wait.

16. Craig1981

Capodecina

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've been quite a few times and never had a bad meal there :)

17. jpaul

Capodecina

what was it then ?, personally tried the beaten egg-whites type, and airated beaten whole egg+milk, but currently on straight:melted-butter/buttermilk/milk/egg into
    flour+bicarb+baking-powder ... have not invested time in a yeast based pancake yet. Aunt Jemima's mix from Amazon remains very competitive though.

breakfast looks nice ... but seems quite a reliance on the deep fat fryer at Six - 3 of the courses.

18. bsoltan

Mobster

yep basically the butter, milk, egg, flour, etc.
    https://www.chocolatesandchai.com/fluffy-fluffy-pancakes/
    the link also has some good recommendations and tips to get best pancakes. In the past I think I'd been mixing the batter too much. My ingredients are usually quite old too. :D

19. jpaul

Capodecina

Yes - I'd never thought of flipping gently ... often they are pretty liquid on up side, so you haved to be deft.
    I do buy double acting baking powder which ensures you get CO2 when it is being cooked too
    - latest is https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/baking-powder-1kg.html with Sodium Dihydrogen Diphosphate , previously bob red mill

20. robfosters

Caporegime

Apparently it’s down to their revenue plummeting in the uk. They never wanted to start a delivery service, but have been forced to by the competition that’s now offered with the likes of Uber and Deliveroo.

They used to pay to have a menu extra produced for the new burgers, which is why you used to get nice big chicken burgers. Now they don’t want to pay for it, so they just stick chicken selects in its instead.

It’s like the Italian stack. They have always had pepperoni in them in the past, but they’ve dropped it this time round because of cost, so their Italian burger is made Italian by putting a little bit of mozzarella in the cheese sauce and a scoop of pesto. Pathetic.