The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Thanks! Hope you enjoyed it. I actually decided to skip the Best of 2019 theme. Its the first theme I've not went for in quite a while. I will be going to the next one though, Alps :)
It was great! We've just booked in for the alps menu later this month too.

What happens then. You get six courses, but can you choose between the meat and veg menus for each individual course?
Yes, 6 set courses and you can choose between classic or vegetarian for each course.
Also a wine pairing with a different glass of wine matched to each course but we didn't have the wine.

Soldato
I would swap the seafood dishes probably. Not a big fan of seafood.

I don't like fish and I'd never order any fish dish in a restaurant but i was quite excited to try the sea bass in the menu here. The only time I've eaten fish is home cooked when I was younger or from a chip shop. I've never tried 'properly' cooked fish. That's the good thing about a tasting menu: if you don't like something then there's plenty of other courses you will like.
As it happens, i didn't particularly like the flavour of the sea bass but there were other interesting flavours on the plate and it was such a small bit of fish that i managed to eat it all anyway.

Caporegime
I don't like fish and I'd never order any fish dish in a restaurant but i was quite excited to try the sea bass in the menu here. The only time I've eaten fish is home cooked when I was younger or from a chip shop. I've never tried 'properly' cooked fish. That's the good thing about a tasting menu: if you don't like something then there's plenty of other courses you will like.
As it happens, i didn't particularly like the flavour of the sea bass but there were other interesting flavours on the plate and it was such a small bit of fish that i managed to eat it all anyway.
What exactly are jamon bombas?

Soldato
FcEGkU.jpg

Another weekend, another special at Scran. Today its pulled Cajun brisket on cauliflower & grain mustard puree with champ potato cake, roast heirloom tomatoes and a fried egg. Really good! The brisket was delicious! :)

oK4k6E.jpg

Had lunch at Café Antipasti. Started off with garlic brushed bruschetta with roasted vine tomato, basil, rocket and balsamic reduction. Tasty and light :)

fOwbXf.jpg

And for main I had the Tuscan bollognaise with Fusilli pasta and a splash of cream, baked in foil with Mozzarella shavings. Also very tasty without being leaving me feeling too stuffed afterwards. Bargain meal, was 2 courses for £8.95 :)

WanFTT.jpg

Was in the mood for something sweet after lunch, so since Desserts is right next to Café Antipasti, I went there. I got the new Taste The Rainbow sundae. It has melon & kiwi and vanilla & strawberry ice creams, layered with skittles, drizzled with strawberry and bubblegum sauces and topped with 100s and 1000s. So good!! :D

Soldato
Grilled lamb chops, pea and mint giant couscous and tenderstem broccoli. The fat cap on the lamb chops was a bit excessive, tasted great though.

Is couscous a filling alternative to rice? I'd never heard of giant couscous, but apparently you fry it and then add water until it's absorbed, is that right? How would I add the mint, did you use mint leaves?

Tonight I had grilled mackerel seasoned with lo salt and black pepper, brown rice, steamed sweetheart cabbage seasoned with lo salt and black pepper, and tzatziki. I'm really liking brown rice more now than I used to plus dding tzatziki makes it more palatable. It'll never taste as good as white rice, and the brown basmati I have is not as nice as regular basmati nor does it have the distinctive basmati aroma, but it's a bit healthier.

20200212-021807.jpg

Soldato
Is couscous a filling alternative to rice? I'd never heard of giant couscous, but apparently you fry it and then add water until it's absorbed, is that right? How would I add the mint, did you use mint leaves?

Tonight I had grilled mackerel seasoned with lo salt and black pepper, brown rice, steamed sweetheart cabbage seasoned with lo salt and black pepper, and tzatziki. I'm really liking brown rice more now than I used to plus dding tzatziki makes it more palatable. It'll never taste as good as white rice, and the brown basmati I have is not as nice as regular basmati nor does it have the distinctive basmati aroma, but it's a bit healthier.

20200212-021807.jpg

Yep, just fry in a tsp of olive oil until it's darkened slightly, then add veg/chicken stock, cover and simmer for 7-8 mins.

The peas and mint go in for the last minute or so.

Soldato
SGC7Mj.jpg

Breakfast at Scran today. Wasn't really feeling this weekends special, so I decided to try out the brioche French toast with Ayrshire bacon, maple syrup and blueberries. Was good! :)

3gfHlt.jpg

Didn't really have much appetite around lunchtime. But I decided to try out somewhere I've not been before, Di'Maggio's. I got their chicken stroganoff with rice and seasonal veggies. Really nice sauce and meat. Nice mushrooms in it too. And it went well with the rice. Not too heavy, so didn't feel bloated afterwards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom