1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The **Now Eating** Thread

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by J1234, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Raikiri

Capodecina

The secret is lots of vinegar. Like 5% vinegar. Also don't salt the water, and use cold eggs.

2. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

I find the freshness of the eggs makes the biggest difference. We get our eggs straight from the farm shop and don't need to use vinegar in the water. With supermarket eggs we do put a good whack of white wine vinegar in the water.

Agreed with no salt though, that'll break down the egg white so season after cooking.

3. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Had the great pleasure of having the England Team for this years culinary Olympics do a practice run for 9 of us the other day. Was absolutely incredible. I'll post pics later, been waiting for the competition to be over before posting pics and stuff.

4. Captain

Capodecina

Tonight’s takeaway.

Mixed kebab with chips, sweet chilli sauce and cheese.

[​IMG]

5. robfosters

Caporegime

Looks good. Who needs arteries anyway?

6. One More Solo

Capodecina

I can just see the chef preparing that, standing back and

[​IMG]

It’s the care and attention to detail that make it.

7. Merlin5

Capodecina

Had a movie night with nephew and others the other day, we ordered a Dominos large cheeseburger pizza with classic crust and a Hawaiian with super thin crust. Garlic dippers and coleslaw side dishes. Delish!

8. Captain

Capodecina

Can anyone give me some tips for cooking greggs sausage rolls and steak bakes from frozen?

When you buy them from greggs the pastry is always soft but cooking from frozen at home turns the pastry very dry and flaky.

The recommended time is 200’c for 25 minutes.

Can I add water to the pastry to try and keep it from flaking or just cook for longer at a lower temp?

9. robfosters

Caporegime

What about brushing them with some oil before baking?

10. jpaul

Capodecina

defrost in the fridge/ambiant, and then, bake, even wrap them in foil,
    re-heating puff pastry in a fan oven's going to dry it ... you've frozen them yourself .

I can't unsee 'Tonight’s takeaway.'

11. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

KFC
    Korean Fried Chicken.

[​IMG]

12. Craig1981

Capodecina

Ray! Good to see you back buddy! Where ya been?! Nice looking chicken btw! :)

[​IMG]

Dunno if you saw or not, but I had some Tonkotsu ramen at a new place in Glasgow a few weeks back. Does it meet with your approval? :)

13. robfosters

Caporegime

I bet it came out looking exactly the same as it went in

14. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I took a self sabbatical.

Went to Tokyo Japan in November, then last couple of weeks I spent time back in Japan again, this time Kyoto and Osaka and then flew to S. Korea, went to Busan and then Seoul.

Everything in Korea is spicy, well, every hot food practically, if it is a Korean dish.

I mean the pickles are spicy, all 3 of them, even the cabbage soup is spicy. It was just their base level Korean spice...seriously, it makes indian food look lame.

[​IMG]

That ramen looks good, not too radical which I like, not a fan of this fusion stuff for the sake of fusion.

15. Craig1981

Capodecina

I love poached eggs, but I absolutely suck at making them. I've read guides, watched videos, tried various methods and they always come out horribly. I looked around for an egg poacher, but they always had such mixed reviews. I finally decided to try something that seemed to get pretty good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poachies-p...d_r=9468PJMBT5GKH0QVH49W&psc=1&qid=1582744326

[​IMG]

First time trying them today. I think they came out pretty darn good! Only downside was I was a bit overcautious with the cooking time and left them in a little too long, so the egg had gone firm. But they still tasted good! And I'm sure with a little experimenting with the cooking time I can get them coming out with runny yolks! :D

[​IMG]

Tesco's cheese & black pepper muffins toasted, with Tesco pork & herb sausage patties, cheese slices, the poached eggs and a slathering of ketchup. Hardly restaurant quality, but I think they came out pretty good for a first attempt. Tasty little treat :)

16. Merlin5

Capodecina

Well after 2 hours making, 1 hour baking, 1 hour cooling, a few minutes making the glaze and 20 minutes to set, my coffee cake came out pretty well with a lovely tender sponge. It's a big ol' cake and weighs quite a lot! Tastes really nice. In fact what I thought was too much espresso powder was not too much and I'll add even more next time. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jpaul

Capodecina

you went wit the 3 teaspoons .. as opposed to 20g ?
    20g freeze dried coffee, if it were 100% disssolvable solid , should be about 100g coffee beans ... so about 8 double espresso , which doesn't sound too much on a per slice basis.
    ... does caffeine content survive baking ? if so maybe I just need a slice of cake for elevens's

18. Merlin5

Capodecina

Well as far as caffeine surviving baking, apparently it does according to one review on the cake. "If you’re not a coffee drinker (and I’m not), be prepared for the caffeine in this cake, as it packs a wallop. It actually kept me awake!"

I went with 3 tablespoons which weighed 13g. Now that I've tasted the cake, the coffee is there but subtle, it's much more prominent in the icing glaze. 20g and even a bit more would have been better.

19. MrMarvelous

Soldato

That cake looks biblical!

20. Craig1981

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Tried making the Heinz Creationz pouch again tonight. Spanish beans mixed with egg, cooked under the grill, then finished off with grated cheese. Came out better than last time. A very quick and easy to make dish. Tasty too :)