The **Now Eating** Thread

Arent you meant to be cutting down on food or eating better because of health problems?

What?? They were two reasonably sized potatoes with no butter used. And a tin of chicken curry. Its my dinner. I'm at work so I need something I can prepare easily in the microwave. All I've had apart from that today is a slimfast milkshake and a meal bar for lunch. And I have an apple for my evening snack.

Not exactly stuffing myself, am I? :(

What?? They were two reasonably sized potatoes with no butter used. And a tin of chicken curry. Its my dinner. I'm at work so I need something I can prepare easily in the microwave. All I've had apart from that today is a slimfast milkshake and a meal bar for lunch. And I have an apple for my evening snack.

Chuck those spuds in the bin and get some butter down yer neck!

All this talk about butter, fair play butter is not the villain it is made out to and i do love butter my self and use it regularly but anything in excess is going to have an impact on your health.

Toast! (with butter on :D)

You said 'big' jacket potatoes before :p

You're not stuffing yourself, but could easily eat better foods! Chicken curry isn't exactly healthy :o

Yes it is! meat and spices, very healthy.

Also ideal for weightloss if he eats it with some fresh, fibrous/low carb veg. Granted, loads of spuds and rice with it won't help but the curry itself is fine.

I won't even bother to disagree with you if you think slabs of butter is good for you :p

He just needs to check the nutritional info on the tin to see how much fat, sugar and salt are in those curries.

Sorry - wasn't trying to badger or argue, just genuinely interested. As a lad growing up my Mum would only give me full fat milk (green top back then, which I belive is now illegal!) and proper butter.

Will certianly have a proper read, and maybe try going back to butter and full fat milk only, but I'm not even sure if I could get my beloved green top anymore :(

http://hunter-gatherer.com/blog/saturated-fat-making-comeback

Checkout the links to the official study carried out in The Netherlands (in 2011). (titled Saturated fat, carbohydrates and cardiovascular disease).

They concluded:

"We conclude that avoidance of [saturated fatty acids] accumulation by reducing the intake of [carbohydrates] with high glycaemic index is more effective in the prevention of [cardiovascular disease] than reducing [saturated fatty acids] intake per se.

The total body of evidence suggests that attention should be shifted from the harmful effects of dietary [saturated fatty acids] per se, to the prevention of the accumulation of [saturdated fatty acids] in body lipids. This shift would emphasise the importance of reducing dietary [carbohydrates], especially [carbohydrates] with a high glycaemic index, rather than reducing dietary [saturated fatty acids]. The chronic interaction of [saturated fatty acids] with our immune system elicits so-called chronic systemic low-grade inflammation, which underlies the metabolic changes referred to as the (atherogenic) dyslipidaemia of the metabolic syndrome or the lipidaemia of sepsis. The ultimate goal of the ensuing insulin resistance is the re-allocation of energy-rich substrates, such as glucose, to the immune system while the change in our lipoprotein profile aims at the limitation of the inflammatory responses and the repair of the resulting tissue damage. Dietary [saturated fatty acids] belong to the many false triggers of inflammation that result from the conflict between our slowly adapting genome and our rapidly changing lifestyle, but among these many factors they are not the most important. A reduction in the consumption of CHO with a high glycaemic index, trans-fatty acids and linoleic acid, and an increased consumption of fish, vegetables and fruit, and a reduction of inactivity, sleep deprivation and chronic stress seem more realistic approaches to fight the current pandemic of cardiovascular disease resulting from chronic systemic low grade inflammation.

translation: Don't eat high glycemic index carbohydrates, stay away from trans fats, don't cook with vegetable oils (like canola oil), cook with lard or coconut oil, exercise, get some sleep, relax.

Back
Top Bottom