The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
That looks great. I'm normally not a fan of carbonara as most examples I've seen are ridiculously creamy. As said though, that looks good. Mind sharing a recipe?

Umm there's not much too it, it's simply pancetta fried off, take it off the heat, stir in your pasta, then simply stir in a mix of egg yolk and Parmesan (Generally use 2 yolks per serving). Just be sure that it's not too hot to cook the egg.

That's it!

Man of Honour
Umm there's not much too it, it's simply pancetta fried off, take it off the heat, stir in your pasta, then simply stir in a mix of egg yolk and Parmesan (Generally use 2 yolks per serving). Just be sure that it's not too hot to cook the egg.

That's it!

That's a good enough recipe for me :)

...and sounds really good. Pretty much all carbonara stuff I've seen involves a white sauce, possibly wine...and either way you end up with a sloppy mess of cack.

To be fair I've never really looked into it properly as the mainstream carbonara is so hideous but the version you have posted looks really good. If it is a more authentic version then all the better.

Soldato

...and sounds really good. Pretty much all carbonara stuff I've seen involves a white sauce, possibly wine...and either way you end up with a sloppy mess of cack.

To be fair I've never really looked into it properly as the mainstream carbonara is so hideous but the version you have posted looks really good. If it is a more authentic version then all the better.

Yeah it's how I used to make it when I used to work in an Italian. It's really one of those dishes which benefits from a good quality egg, actual Parmesan, and fresh pasta (unlike say a rich bolognese which a heavier dried pasta can be just as good)

One of those dishes which I refuse to eat when I go out as it has been "britished", so most places will add cream, or bechamel or wine :(

Suspended

Everytime I look at a ready meal carbonara, it makes me feel quite nauseous. Even a home made one looks like slop. I think i'll have a bash at this recipe.

Is Parmesan Reggiano just normal Parmesan? If so, Asda do a nice pot of shavings for £2.

Suspended
Spicy tikka masala. I love CTM but it's got no spice, so my local indian puts shed loads in it for me, so it's really a tikka masala madras.

02250cd0cc52f7b3aeaddb232e841434_zps9cbf2dd7.jpg

Man of Honour
Yeah it's how I used to make it when I used to work in an Italian. It's really one of those dishes which benefits from a good quality egg, actual Parmesan, and fresh pasta (unlike say a rich bolognese which a heavier dried pasta can be just as good)

One of those dishes which I refuse to eat when I go out as it has been "britished", so most places will add cream, or bechamel or wine :(

Great. I completely agree on all counts. I'm really interested to try this massively superior-looking recipe now :)

Everytime I look at a ready meal carbonara, it makes me feel quite nauseous. Even a home made one looks like slop. I think i'll have a bash at this recipe.

Is Parmesan Reggiano just normal Parmesan? If so, Asda do a nice pot of shavings for £2.

Exactly! I don't eat ready meals but I still have that exact image in my head whenever I think of carbonara normally.

Man of Honour
Carbonara is amazing, not ready made and isn't sloppy at all. Although certainly still a *******ised version, as I still put some cream in it, not a lot. The pasta cooks the egg and it clings to the pasta, so shouldn't be sloppy at all.

Man of Honour
Carbonara is amazing, not ready made and isn't sloppy at all. Although certainly still a *******ised version, as I still put some cream in it, not a lot. The pasta cooks the egg and it clings to the pasta, so shouldn't be sloppy at all.

I quite like the idea of it completely without cream/white sauce. The gently heated egg yolk as a "sauce" sounds pretty delicious though.

Man of Honour
I quite like the idea of it completely without cream/white sauce. The gently heated egg yolk as a "sauce" sounds pretty delicious though.

I don't put a lot in but I like it, probably as that's what mist had growing up.
400g pasta
200g Pancetta
3 garlic cloves depending how much you like garlic.
100g parmesan
Bit of olive oil to cook bacon and garlic
And a splash if cream, probably 3 tablespoons.

Roughly as like most things I rarely measure stuff. Cook pasta, cook garlic and bacon.
Whisk eggs, cream cheese together. Drain pasta but not well, you want some salt water. Stick in the whisked eggs and mix round, should cook the eggs and cling to pasta. Mix in garlic/bacon. Add some cheese shavings if you wish.

I might have to go to the shop and make it now, or as I'm still in bed I'll it might be dominos. But after sat night the banks looking low.

Man of Honour
I never really liked white sauces growing up and that's not really changed - understandable if you grew up with it though and no reason to change it.

This might spur me to finally get round to making my own fresh pasta...

Soldato

If you can grab yourself a nice piece of Parmesan, it'll keep forever in the cupboard (get yourself a piece of cheese cloth) Then you'll always have it to freshly grate.

Reggiano will be fine though, again better to get a block. Just be sure to get some high quality eggs, I source mine from an organic farm, the difference is amazing.

Man of Honour
ive had some chicken breasts marinating in piri piri dry rub for a few hours, ive cut them into long thin strips and will serve them in tortilla wraps, with g/pepper and spring onion
i also have some extra hot Nando's piri piri sauce and some Nando's garlic sauce to try in them :)

EDIT: just tried a bit of the extra hot sauce :o il be using that one sparingly!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom