The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
Trying to build a bit of muscle of my slender frame, and a 40/30/30% split with a calorie target of 2500 in MyFitnessPal gives me that target.

Personally I'd move the ratios a little so you've got a bit more fat in there and less protein. Even when bulking/building muscle the amount of protein you're eating is needlessly high. It's probably not going to do you any harm (aside from potentially making your toilet breaks less frequent...) but it's probably more expensive and needlessly limiting your diet.

edit: Also, if you're bulking, hitting your kcal target is probably more important than hitting your protein target.

Soldato
250g protein / 188g carbs / 83g fat is my target, and I have never managed to break 180g protein since I started last week (not running any powder yet), yesterday was different due to the bread, haha, I ended up on 300g protein! Whoops, still under my calorie target though.

Trying to build a bit of muscle of my slender frame, and a 40/30/30% split with a calorie target of 2500 in MyFitnessPal gives me that target.

As I suspected that is a horribly high intake. What is your weight, heigh and current bodyfat level/%?

The body's muscle building capability isn't linearly linked to protein consumption, unfortunately. Eating an unnecessarily high amount of protein is just an expensive way of obtaining glucose.

It would be more beneficial to reduce your protein macro to around 0.7lb/g of body weight (which is under the 1g/lb pumped by the fitness industry) but is still plenty for the unassisted lifter. And replace the shortfall with carbohydrates.

Your carb aversion is unfounded and will hinder your ability to grow muscle and also train sustainably.

Generic suitable macros for the average male would be 150p/320c/70f which will bring you out around 2500 calories.

Seriously, 300g is even too much for someone on gear.

As FrenchTart mentions, providing an adequate calorie surplus is essential for growth, doesn't matter how much protein/fat/carbs you consume if you're in a deficit you aren't going to grow :)

Caporegime
As I suspected that is a horribly high intake. What is your weight, heigh and current bodyfat level/%?

The body's muscle building capability isn't linearly linked to protein consumption, unfortunately. Eating an unnecessarily high amount of protein is just an expensive way of obtaining glucose.

It would be more beneficial to reduce your protein macro to around 0.7lb/g of body weight (which is under the 1g/lb pumped by the fitness industry) but is still plenty for the unassisted lifter. And replace the shortfall with carbohydrates.

Your carb aversion is unfounded and will hinder your ability to grow muscle and also train sustainably.

Generic suitable macros for the average male would be 150p/320c/70f which will bring you out around 2500 calories.

Seriously, 300g is even too much for someone on gear.

As FrenchTart mentions, providing an adequate calorie surplus is essential for growth, doesn't matter how much protein/fat/carbs you consume if you're in a deficit you aren't going to grow :)

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have taken the 1-1.5g per lb ratio, haha.

That saw me looking at 180g-270g per day, which I moved to the higher end 250g.

Wouldn't mind shifting some of that to fat, as my trail-mix, whole eggs and oily fish push the fat up to my current 'limit' very quickly.

For reference, I'm 5'11/180cm, weigh 180lbs, 32 years old, and burn around 2200 calories a day. Hence the 2500 target for putting on some mass.

I'll tweak my ratios after this meeting.

Soldato
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have taken the 1-1.5g per lb ratio, haha.

That saw me looking at 180g-270g per day, which I moved to the higher end 250g.

Way waaaay too much :eek: 1g/lb absolute maximum. You'll soon realise you don't need the gimmicks of 'protein this' and 'protein that' to hit your protein macro, it's very easy to do with solid wholefood. They make a nice treat though but it just mass marketing for the over consumption of protein.

Wouldn't mind shifting some of that to fat, as my trail-mix, whole eggs and oily fish push the fat up to my current 'limit' very quickly.

As long as it's good fat sources like the mentioned eggs, oily fish, nuts & nut butters etc then bumping fat to 100g shouldn't be a problem. :)

For reference, I'm 5'11/180cm, weigh 180lbs, 32 years old, and burn around 2200 calories a day. Hence the 2500 target for putting on some mass.

I'll tweak my ratios after this meeting.

Where did you get that TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from? it seems fairly low unless you have been quite sedentary until recently?

If you're not already keep tabs on your body weight and see how it responds to different calorie intakes.

Generally speaking carbs should be your heaviest macro, followed by protein and then fat. :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Double beef yes :D It was very nice I admit, not sure what it was but the spicy beef has a nice kick to it and the peppers and onions compliment it well. Good stuff Cainer! :)

i was tempted to go get myself one for lunch, but Rocco's are doing 50% off all their pizza's so got a 12" create your own from there, with double tandoori chicken and double kebab meat toppings ;)

14ctmw2.jpg

Caporegime
Where did you get that TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from? it seems fairly low unless you have been quite sedentary until recently?

Well I didn't do any sort of exercise, like, not since 2004, I have an office job, 20 minutes of brisk walking each week day as per my commute, but I also fidget which clearly burns something as I have never been fat, and I am the kind of guy that will happily eat 150g crisps or a 500ml tub of ice-cream in a single sitting. Lucky genes in that respect.

I'm also aware that my historic protein intake has always been very low, my diet was probably around 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein (if not lower, 300g of meat maximum a day, and some pulses/legumes).

But enough of derailing this thread, haha, I'd best get going to Sports Arena and get crucified :D

Back
Top Bottom