The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
Omg what are you doing in Helsinki? How long for? You know I will give ideas as I am Finnish :D Dont have salmon, we got better fish really!

Myself and a couple of friends are joining another after she speaks at a conference there. We'll only be there for 4 or 5 days but any suggestions on places to go/food to eat would be most welcome :)

I should've thought to ask you earlier really :p

kai

kai

Soldato
Meal 3 - rocket, red onion, spinach, crumbled feta, crisped up prosciutto and pan roasted chicken.

Capture.jpg

Finished with some coconut oil.

Man of Honour
we refer to them as emergency pies as they keep for years.

Can't beat a dirty Fray Bentos from time to time

although the minced beef & onion one i had a few weeks ago was pretty good,
i dont think id be stocking up on the whole range of them any time soon,
i remember having a chicken one years ago.. i binned it, tasted nasty :(

Man of Honour
Tesco clubcard just had a flash sale of Pizza Express vouchers :)
£2.50 for a voucher for 2 Pizza's (eating in), i bought a couple of lots :D

Associate
Myself and a couple of friends are joining another after she speaks at a conference there. We'll only be there for 4 or 5 days but any suggestions on places to go/food to eat would be most welcome :)

I should've thought to ask you earlier really :p

You should go to the old market hall in Helsinki and have lunch there. It is just such an amaizing place with great shops and cafes etc. http://vanhakauppahalli.fi/en/
I also dont know if they will have anything open yet at that time of the year but if you go to Kauppatori (big market place in Helsinki) they do these tiny vendace fishes fried whole and they are pretty awesome. But yeah might be too early as its really a spring/summer kind of place.

Lasipalatsi is supposed to be very very good but I think you might miss the blini weeks. It is quite expensive but so is everything in Finland and definitely eating out.

Ravintola Aino looks good too, again quite pricey. I might have to go there next time I go home mainly cos its got my name :D And real blueberries are so good.

What I would do is have a day cruise to Tallinn (takes about 6 - 8h) and have the buffet on the cruise. It has some amaizing stuff and includes wine and beer + soft drinks. Although it is not great for those who dont like fish as it has a lot of fish options. Herrings, gravdlax, cold and hot smoked salmon, roe selections, mussels, whole shrimps to name a few. They have meat and vegetarian stuff too and loads of puddings but the fish selection is why I always go there when taking the cruises. They dont have english menu on the website though.

Most restaurants do good lunch and it will be buffet type of setting often, not always though. It will usually be finnish "normal" food so it is best to walk around and see what they are doing that day as its different everyday on that kind of places.

Tomi Björck has some popular restaurants but I have a feeling they might all be pretty asian themed. I know gaijin is definitely asian food.

Thats just few. Dont know if you already looked at any of the places. Also suomenlinna is a nice place to visit... I will shut up now :D

Soldato
Reason #3,486 to own a 12in cast-iron skillet :cool:

Kale, goats cheese, leek and potato frittata. 12 eggs yo :p

j86NP6ol.jpg

Recipe if anyone wants it :p

Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Tear a bunch of kale into bitesize pieces, add a sploosh of olive oil, mix and leave to stand. Cover new potatoes in salted water, bring to boil and simmer until tender. Meanwhile saute a sliced onion and a few cloves of garlic until soft, add kale and cook down to about half the volume.

Remove from skillet and put aside, drain and slice potatoes, slice a couple leeks then cook potato/leek mixture in olive oil for a few minutes. Spread kale mix on top of skillet and push in little bits of goats cheese into the mixture. Whisk eggs and about third of a pint of milk and pour over mixture until the whole lot is covered. Heat on hob for 3-4 minutes then stick in the oven for 20-25 minutes until firm.

Remove from oven, allow to cool then slice and serve with a splash of hot sauce/ketchup :cool:

YX2EzXKl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
looks yum rich :)

breakfast smoothie for me this morning.
pomegranate, spinach, banana, flaxseed, orange juice and water.

the kitchen looked like I've beaten a cow dead after I was finished with the pomegranate :(

Man of Honour
That looks lush, Rich_L :)

You should go to the old market hall in Helsinki and have lunch there. It is just such an amaizing place with great shops and cafes etc. http://vanhakauppahalli.fi/en/
I also dont know if they will have anything open yet at that time of the year but if you go to Kauppatori (big market place in Helsinki) they do these tiny vendace fishes fried whole and they are pretty awesome. But yeah might be too early as its really a spring/summer kind of place.

Lasipalatsi is supposed to be very very good but I think you might miss the blini weeks. It is quite expensive but so is everything in Finland and definitely eating out.

Ravintola Aino looks good too, again quite pricey. I might have to go there next time I go home mainly cos its got my name :D And real blueberries are so good.

What I would do is have a day cruise to Tallinn (takes about 6 - 8h) and have the buffet on the cruise. It has some amaizing stuff and includes wine and beer + soft drinks. Although it is not great for those who dont like fish as it has a lot of fish options. Herrings, gravdlax, cold and hot smoked salmon, roe selections, mussels, whole shrimps to name a few. They have meat and vegetarian stuff too and loads of puddings but the fish selection is why I always go there when taking the cruises. They dont have english menu on the website though.

Most restaurants do good lunch and it will be buffet type of setting often, not always though. It will usually be finnish "normal" food so it is best to walk around and see what they are doing that day as its different everyday on that kind of places.

Tomi Björck has some popular restaurants but I have a feeling they might all be pretty asian themed. I know gaijin is definitely asian food.

Thats just few. Dont know if you already looked at any of the places. Also suomenlinna is a nice place to visit... I will shut up now :D

Cheers for all of those. I've passed the suggestions on to the others. I'm up for all of that though probably not the Asian food - I eat enough of that over here so unless there are some particularly Finnish twists on the dishes it seems a bit pointless to go abroad and eat food I could eat back home :p

Associate
Yeah I thought so. Im not sure what his other restaurants are like because I believe he has 3 in Finland and 1 in stockholm.

And to stay within the topic Im having a smoked salmon salad for lunch!

Back
Top Bottom