The **Now Eating** Thread

Here we go again.

:D

The people who don't visit sports arena will perceive Benny as;
hqdefault.jpg

Haha, nope but the heat caused the peanut butter to melt and lose all aesthetic :p taste still hnnnng though.

(Before anyone "ermergherd sugar, diabetus etc etc" - 1,164 calories, 35g fat, 172g carbs, 39g protein. (91g sugar, 68g of which came from the Hot Cross Buns.)

Haha, nope but the heat caused the peanut butter to melt and lose all aesthetic :p taste still hnnnng though.

(Before anyone "ermergherd sugar, diabetus etc etc" - 1,164 calories, 35g fat, 172g carbs, 39g protein. (91g sugar, 68g of which came from the Hot Cross Buns.)

Oh my god..you must be really fat! :mad: :p

On a more serious note, do you tend to have less frequent larger meals rather than snacking throughout the day? My meals tend to be less kcal but I eat a lot of them...

Heh fatty Benny! :D

He's right though, sugar in itself isn't "bad" for you, but this is only really true if you're getting a decent quantity of fibre, as this helps to regulate blood glucose levels.

That said, too much sugar is not good. I personally wouldn't exceed around 1/4 of my carbs from sugars. I get most of my sugars from fruits - I generally avoid processed foods, but like everything in life, everything in moderation. :) That said your liver doesn't really care what source glucose is brought from and if you're eating a balanced diet with lots of fibre you'll be fine.

IF you're curious get blood glucose measuring devices and try going for a few days without fibrous foods (e.g. lots of veg), and then do the same with it, you'll see quite a difference to your blood glucose levels and insulin responses:

icz4P14.jpg

It's a very basic example, but it's more sinusoidal over a period of time. The peaks and troughs aren't so bad from time to time, but crashing from high sugar can have adverse effects on mood and behaviour and performance.

On a more serious note, do you tend to have less frequent larger meals rather than snacking throughout the day? My meals tend to be less kcal but I eat a lot of them...

Followed IF (Intermittent Fasting) for about 6/7 years now, suits & works for me. Usually just eat in two sittings with the majority of my intake in the evenings or post exercise.

Very interesting about the fibre intake. I didn't realise it helped buffer like that.

Yep it's often overlooked in most peoples diets and particularly with individuals that embark on IIFYM on the misconception anything goes.

Maintaining a sufficient fiber intake 10-15g+ per 1000calories forces fruits, vegetables, beans/pulses and other wholefood fiber sources in to your diet.

It's especially important if you want to consume a moderate to high sugar intake fairly frequently for the reasons FF listed and also general gut & digestive health.

I don't think I could do IF, especially as I do so much cycling almost every day. Also, I love food too much :p

Tbh I've never seen the point of eating for the sake of it, so I don't. At a weekend if I'm not hungry I won't eat until I am, occasionally 3,4,5PM if I'm really busy. This isn't so I can fit a load of junk in but purely because I just don't feel the need to eat. I still hit my calorie requirement for the day but obviously in one much larger sitting.

I can exercise/train/ride fasted quite happily but as you would expect after about 90 minutes start to feel the need to consume something.

I love food too :D but always found constant grazing and small regular meals to 'stoke the metabolic fire' myth (lolololol) left me unsatisfied and with a tenancy to over consume calories without satisfaction. IF means I'm not over eating, enjoy the effects of satiety and can be much more flexible and social with my nutritional approach. It's not for everyone though. :)

Yeah I prefer eating when I'm hungry - which is about 3-4x a day. Force feeding yourself to fit some sort of metabolic myth is daft, that said if you find it easier to eat smaller meals (which generally are easier to digest) then do that - if you want you can eat all your calories in one meal and fast for the rest of the time - many animals do that with no issues, but it takes some getting used to and discipline as it is so easy for humans to get food.

Getting a balanced meal with protein, fibre, fat and carbs is always the thing that people ignore and think that protein alone, will be fine (atkins et al.) it's not a healthy way to live.

Back
Top Bottom