• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
Hi

normally i keep a driver for months on end without upgrading, however i got a new gpu and so it seemed as good a time as any to upgrade. However the one i chose was a stinker, (the 1st 416 driver) I upgraded to 416.34 which seem much better, i am still wondering if my gpu is running as fast as it can be with the driver i am currently using. (I have a new 1080ti)

basically i suppose i am looking for a new driver which i know is not gimping my 1080ti. my current driver may be it, but i am not sure?

so TLDR, how is the new 417 performing?

Thanks

Soldato
Unfortunately, for me, the latest drivers cause a black screen on first windows boot that requires a hard reset. Additionally, my frame rates with gsync on have taken a significant dive since the last set.

Edit - 2080ti

Last edited:
Soldato
i suppose i am looking for a new driver which i know is not gimping my 1080ti. my current driver may be it, but i am not sure?

Try it and see, not going to see tech sites reporting on gimping due to being in Nv's pocket under nda due to fear of reprisals from Nv.

Users usually expose dodgy drivers-tech sites are the last to inform us unfortunately.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hi

normally i keep a driver for months on end without upgrading, however i got a new gpu and so it seemed as good a time as any to upgrade. However the one i chose was a stinker, (the 1st 416 driver) I upgraded to 416.34 which seem much better, i am still wondering if my gpu is running as fast as it can be with the driver i am currently using. (I have a new 1080ti)

basically i suppose i am looking for a new driver which i know is not gimping my 1080ti. my current driver may be it, but i am not sure?

so TLDR, how is the new 417 performing?

Thanks
I am currently on 416.94 and no issues. Though I am not playing any games recently released at this moment.

It doesn't auto add for me, and never has.
Strange. You guys on Windows 10? Cannot think of anything else really. Unless you are the type that never does a clean install for years on end, could be that.

I do at least one clean install per year, sometimes even two. Only takes a couple of hours these days. Secure Erase SSD and install windows from a usb stick takes 15 minutes tops. The rest of the time is for installing stuff really. Can be done watching a movie or a tv show. Nothing like a nice clean install of windows imo :)

Soldato
I would lend you my tinfoil hat but I see you have your own :D
Tinfoil hat discredit excuse...

You jump on new tech on release day, you're the last one to ask about drivers on old gen GPUs.

They've been caught out in the past with crap performance driver **** storms, hopefully they'll get caught out again if they do it again on new titles now Pascal is previous gen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea, I clean install every few months. I clean install the driver updates, too.
Strange no idea why it does not auto add then. The only other thing I can think of is something you do as a part of your installation process as habit and without realising that causes it. Not saying that is the case by the way.

A somewhat similar example would be with steam many years ago, the overlay would not work for me and it was the case for quite a while. Did not know why it was, then eventually one day I realised it was not playing well with msi afterburner. That no longer is the case by the way, they play well with each other :)

Caporegime
Tinfoil hat discredit excuse...

You jump on new tech on release day, you're the last one to ask about drivers on old gen GPUs.

They've been caught out in the past with crap performance driver **** storms, hopefully they'll get caught out again if they do it again on new titles now Pascal is previous gen.
Tommy, lighten up, I was joking and if they do stupid things like that, they deserve to be pulled over the coals and there is enough tech sites who would love to get one over NVidia.

V F

V F

Soldato
Strange no idea why it does not auto add then. The only other thing I can think of is something you do as a part of your installation process as habit and without realising that causes it. Not saying that is the case by the way.

A somewhat similar example would be with steam many years ago, the overlay would not work for me and it was the case for quite a while. Did not know why it was, then eventually one day I realised it was not playing well with msi afterburner. That no longer is the case by the way, they play well with each other :)

This is the guide I always go by:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/71-...emove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers-new-2016-a.html
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/417-01-whql-clean-version.421390/

Nothing complicated, no tools and it seems to be flawless but to be honest I cannot tell any difference in performance between 378.92 and 417.01 on a 1080Ti the way some people go on.

Soldato
Tommy, lighten up, I was joking and if they do stupid things like that, they deserve to be pulled over the coals and there is enough tech sites who would love to get one over NVidia.
All fine here, was just pointing out they have got previous, wasnt as big a deal as you must have thought.

Also stated better off keeping an eye on user feedback and not tech sites who are more or less PR wings now.:cool:

Soldato
This is the guide I always go by:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/71-...emove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers-new-2016-a.html
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/417-01-whql-clean-version.421390/

Nothing complicated, no tools and it seems to be flawless but to be honest I cannot tell any difference in performance between 378.92 and 417.01 on a 1080Ti the way some people go on.

I use those drivers and my win 7 64bit is 4 months old.
The games I have that are not steam do show up.

Back
Top Bottom