• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Caporegime
2m1uvc.jpg

:p

V F

V F

Soldato
Hmm i am getting quite a few crashes in bf v with these at clocks that were fine benching and playing bf 1 for a while. Either bf v hates gfx overclocks or this driver ain't

Hmm...

Game Ready

• Provides the optimal gaming experience for Battlefield V.
I've always questioned these listings on each release because I've never really noticed anything different from old to newest drivers.

Soldato
Hmm i am getting quite a few crashes in bf v with these at clocks that were fine benching and playing bf 1 for a while. Either bf v hates gfx overclocks or this driver ain't

What card are you running?

If Pascal then I wouldn't be surprised if your clocks don't hold.

I had a similar situation when I was running a 780Ti...absolute stable clocks until I installed a newer 9 series driver, only fixed when I went back to the older driver.

If you're running RTX then god knows!

Soldato
Titan pascal (2016). The previous driver 416.34 (cleaned) seemed fine. Though to be fair I haven’t had the card that long so maybe my overclock that was just fine just didn’t have enough time to fail. I’m getting the device removed error if that’s helpful

Last edited:
Soldato
Titan pascal (2016). The previous driver 416.34 (cleaned) seemed fine. Though to be fair I haven’t had the card that long so maybe my overclock that was just fine just didn’t have enough time to fail. I’m getting the device removed error if that’s helpful

And tonight no crashes at all!! So weird!!

Soldato
Interesting....

With these new drivers, I've just had my first "display driver stopped responding". And on checking Afterburner, my GPU is clocking a good 30MHz higher than it has ever before! So dropped my OC back by 20MHz to compensate. Seems OK now.
Game I've been playing for a while now is Shadow of the Tomb Raider (almost finished by the look of it). So some 40 hours of total stability prior to this (and in everything else). Strange is the way of Nvidia....

Soldato
Interesting....

With these new drivers, I've just had my first "display driver stopped responding". And on checking Afterburner, my GPU is clocking a good 30MHz higher than it has ever before! So dropped my OC back by 20MHz to compensate. Seems OK now.
Game I've been playing for a while now is Shadow of the Tomb Raider (almost finished by the look of it). So some 40 hours of total stability prior to this (and in everything else). Strange is the way of Nvidia....

In my experience no overclock is 100% stable 100% of the time given all possible scenarios.

This is why I run my PC at stock* (CPU stock, GPU stock and ram at DOCP (which in my classification is stock)

Partly the reason why I upgraded the Ryzen 1700 to a 2700x. The 1700 wasn't fast enough at stock and unstable after about a 10 months at 3.8 - 3.7Ghz... so I said enough of this mucking about and bought the 2700x which gives me 4 - 4.2Ghz at stock.

Soldato
In my experience no overclock is 100% stable 100% of the time given all possible scenarios.

This is why I run my PC at stock* (CPU stock, GPU stock and ram at DOCP (which in my classification is stock)

Partly the reason why I upgraded the Ryzen 1700 to a 2700x. The 1700 wasn't fast enough at stock and unstable after about a 10 months at 3.8 - 3.7Ghz... so I said enough of this mucking about and bought the 2700x which gives me 4 - 4.2Ghz at stock.

I suppose every ones experience/s are different.. But can't say that in some 20+ years of building PC's I've ever had any real problems. Many PC components are very conservatively rated. And it's all about finding a happy balance. Part of the fun as far as I and many others are concerned. As an example, I've got a sever that runs 24/7 with an over clocked old pentium processor and that's never given the slightest problem and I shudder to think how many countless thousands of hours that's been running. But each to their own.

Not wanting to wander off topic too far.....

My comment was really just trying to point out that the current driver's for some reason allow my graphics card to start clocking higher than it previously did, hence introducing instability (as any pc ccomponent will if you push it too far).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

You are on the wrong forum then mate, this is overclockers uk! :p

That’s why one makes adjustments when that happened though. Same happened to me 4.7GHz OC, after about a year or so after I purchased it I got a couple blue screens randomly. I added a little bit of extra voltage, solved the problem for 4 years after that, no problems. Then this summer it happened again. Again I added very little voltage together with for the first time repasting my watercooler, problem solved again.

Overall I still use a lot less voltage for my stable oc than majority of people, so I have huge amount of headroom.

The trouble with Ryzen cpu’s or cpu’s in general these days is they get most the performance out of it and leave very little room for overclocking. Still, I like to oc and get the most out of my chip (without pumping in crazy volts) if you get lucky with silicon lottery, it is worth it. Part of the hobby also :)

Same goes with my GPU, in a handful of games that need the extra grunt, I enable my oc profile which gets me 15-20% extra performance. Some people pay hundreds of extra pounds for that.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You're doing it wrong then. My OC'd system (as per sig) has been up 24/7 since 9th September and before that on the 1950x it had 118 days continuous usage - and that's running some pretty hefty workloads such as 7+ day 3DSMax renders, Blender renders, Terragen renders, VM's, machine learning algorithms, particle simulations and some gaming thrown in here and there.

Soldato
In my experience no overclock is 100% stable 100% of the time given all possible scenarios..

then you are doing it wrong! sure some times you lose the silicon lottery but...... well look at it this way... my gpu is factory overclocked out of the box... this IS an overclocked card, does that mean it is not stable?

often a bottom of the range CPU is from the same run as a top of the range one which runs faster and market forces just mean they are badged at what ever level the market needs.

if your overclock is unstable you are just pushing it too hard.

None of that is to say that *some* overclocked systems are not less stable than others and in many cases that is just fine... my pc is a games pc, i can live with a crash every 100hrs of solid use or so if that means i get another 10fps in a game.

and lets not forget, stock pcs crash sometimes too!.

Soldato
Slightly off topic but - I remember overclocking a Pentium 2 350 to 450mhz and that was rock solid never had problems. Its nothing new.
Bit of an illogical statement though - "in my experience" - "given all possible scenarios". Does that mean Opeth had every CPU and GPU ever made and overclocked them all at some point : :p

Back
Top Bottom