• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Caporegime
Installed these last night and on launching BF 2 and GTAV my fans spooled upto 100% (Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme) previously they barely spooled up at all.

Uninstalled (didn’t use DDU which should be renamed “system bork” imo) and all good no spooling fans again.

Weird.

V F

V F

Soldato
I never touch these third party utilities. It sounds like it fubard it.

A reinstall of windows will probably be necessary.

I can't think of a single scenario where you would use DDU.

If it's fubard so badly your reaching for DDU then the cleanest thing is a reinstall.

I never trust them either.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32336323

Why was this guide created?

3rd Party software uninstallers (DDU, CCleaner, Nvidia Uninstall Utility) have been known to cause software corruption by removing essential chipset, audio and system library files. This may cause system instability, OS corruption or personal data loss.

Soldato
I have lost a couple of FPS with the new drivers on the Forza horizon 4 benchmark I'm getting CPU stutters too which definitely weren't present before.

This is with a mildly overclocked 1080 FE @4k Ultra setting and Ryzen 2600

Last edited:
Associate
I do believe with the newest driver 418.81 was causing me to BSOD. Since removed the drivers and rolled back to the last driver and seems okay now. Any else had this issue? Plus my GPU was running very hot compared to previous drivers.

Associate
Not BSOD but left my PC for half an hour and came back to a blank screen and was totally un responsive. Had to press reset button,as it would not power off at the power button
I've been having that issue since 417.71. Happens when the display tries to come out of sleep. Have completed a bug report. EDIT: Windows event viewer shows that a BSOD has occurred.

Associate
Hi all. Couple of questions - I'll be doing a first time set up on my new PC tomorrow, first time in ages. I've got a GTX 1070 so I'll be needing Nvidia drivers. Am I best letting Windows do my drivers, or do it direct from Nvidia? I remember Windows 7 being a bitch and installing crappy stock drivers which you had to nuke before installing the proper ones. Is that still a thing?

Also, what exactly are these 'clean' drivers from Guru3D vs whatever Nvidia release?

Soldato
Hi all. Couple of questions - I'll be doing a first time set up on my new PC tomorrow, first time in ages. I've got a GTX 1070 so I'll be needing Nvidia drivers. Am I best letting Windows do my drivers, or do it direct from Nvidia? I remember Windows 7 being a bitch and installing crappy stock drivers which you had to nuke before installing the proper ones. Is that still a thing?

Also, what exactly are these 'clean' drivers from Guru3D vs whatever Nvidia release?

I always install manually.

The "clean" driver is, to quote:

Everything removed except:
  • Driver itself
  • PhysX
  • HD Audio

Associate
Thanks @Kelt. I know this sounds so basic but is that as simple as heading to Nvidia, getting the drivers and installing them? I don't need to disable Windows Update or anything? Does Windows still overwrite drivers with its own best guest even if installed manually?

Also, what's the wisdom on clean vs full-fat drivers? Do the full ones come with anything useful?

Soldato
The blank screen issue on sleep I experienced this with an unstable CPU overclock when I had my 1700.

It was stable running prime 95 at 3.8Ghz but if it was to sleep after being unattended, no mouse or keyboard input would wake it.

So it may not be GPU issue.

Soldato
Does Windows update always install the latest whql version or are they always an older one? Do they only change it on cumulative updates?

I disable my ethernet connection when I update drivers.

You can get a scenario where during the update, windows be like 'ohhhh you need a display driver, let me install one for you'

You then end up with corruption as both drivers install at the same time (different versions as well)

Last edited:
Caporegime
GeForce 418.91 WHQL Released

Game Ready

Provides the optimal gaming experience when using DLSS and Ray Tracing in Battlefield V and Metro Exodus.

• nView - 149.34
    • HD Audio Driver - 1.3.38.13
    • NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.18.0907
    • GeForce Experience - 3.17.0.126
    • CUDA - 10.0
Fixed Issues
  • [Battlefield 1]: Lines appear in the terrain with NVIDIA Control Panel anisotropic filtering override enabled.[1969966]
  • [GeForce RTX 20 series]: Event ID 14 error appears in event viewer logs when Digital Vibrance setting is changed. [2488424]
Known Issues
Windows 10 Issues

• [G-SYNC]: With a G-SYNC and G-SYNC Compatible display connected in clone mode, flashing occurs on games played on the G-SYNC display with G-SYNC enabled. [200482157]
  • [Apex Legends]: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error message may appear and then the game crashes.[2503360]
  • [Hitman 2]: Pixelated corruption appears in the game. [2504274]
  • [Iray][OptiX]: Iray GPU acceleration crashes and falls back to CPU acceleration. [2503738]
  • [HDR][Ni no Kuni 2]: Enabling HDR causes the application to crash when launched. [2483952]
  • [ARK Survival]: Multiple errors and then blue-screen crash may occur when playing the game. [2453173]
  • [Batman: Arkham Origins]: PhysX fog renders incorrectly [2451459]
  • [Firefox]: Cursor shows brief corruption when hovering on certain links in Firefox. [2107201]
  • Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) is not available for monitors with 4k2k timings. [2496987]
  • Random desktop flicker occurs on some multi-display PCs [2453059]
Windows 7 Issues

• Random TDR events occur. [2500396]
  • [iRay][OptiX]: iRay GPU acceleration crashes and falls back to CPU acceleration. [2503738

Back
Top Bottom