• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
I stopped the NVidia telemetry service yesterday, didn't follow all the instructions, just stopped that service.

Earlier today, SOTTR wouldn't start, it took me ages to find a log file complaining about the NVidia driver, that made me remember what I had done - Restarted that service, and the game started immediately!

I need to retry with the full "clean up" instructions...

Just download them from here.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/430-39-whql-430-53-hotfix-clean-version.421390/

The page gets updated with the newer drivers so worth bookmarking.

Suspended
Thing is tho I imagine the telemetry is for gathering information for use with the GFE.

It needs to be done some how.

So why do Nvidia install the spyware even though you don't install GFE?

Sheild TV - Game Stream requires Telemetry to stream games.

The Shield controller won't work in Windows without Telemetry service working either.

Found out about the above when I first disabled them and my Shields wouldn't connect.

'NV Cool and quiet' for laptops could use telemetry-but that ones a guess.

Telemetry does have its uses for crash reporting/non critical errors.

Hotfix driver has 5 telemetry services.

When I first checked telemetry after reading a post in here years ago there was only 3 running instances.

Caporegime
I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about the telemetry aspect of the driver, so what does it do or is it more of a case of hogging system resources rather than exposing the colour of your favourite underwear?

Soldato
I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about the telemetry aspect of the driver, so what does it do or is it more of a case of hogging system resources rather than exposing the colour of your favourite underwear?
Nobody knows exactly what it does, other than that it collects unspecified information about your system and sends it off to Nvidia. It really comes down to whether you care about that or not. Though I don't see any excuse for silently installing it and running it in the background even if a user chooses to install the display driver only, rather than letting people know it's there and giving them an option to opt out if they wish. I suppose that data is just so valuable in today's world that they're more than willing to take any criticism for it in exchange for the vast amounts of data that they'll be collecting from the large majority of their userbase that won't even know the telemetry exists, let alone care.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Downloading a larger file, then the messing about. Why bother when someone has been good enough to do it for you?
Larger file takes a few extra seconds to download for me so no issue there. As for the rest I guess in my case it is being sure the file that person has done it has not messed with. I know that is very unlikely, but I don't update drivers often and that extra piece of mind of me cleaning it myself is worth it for me. Not like it takes long :)

Soldato
Larger file takes a few extra seconds to download for me so no issue there. As for the rest I guess in my case it is being sure the file that person has done it has not messed with. I know that is very unlikely, but I don't update drivers often and that extra piece of mind of me cleaning it myself is worth it for me. Not like it takes long :)

Yeah I would prefer to do that dont wholly trust Guru3d.

Back
Top Bottom