• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm seeing between 2-5% GPU usage with this dwm thing. Seems to average about 3% or so. On a 5800X with 2080Ti and dual 1440 G-Sync DisplayPort connected monitors.

Ah well, it will be fixed soon :)

Ah. I was curious to see. I see 0% on GPU-Z and 1% in task manager on 497.29.

Soldato
I've gone back to the 472.12's AGAIN! :mad::mad:

Apparently if you have a GSNYC monitor, dwm.exe is spamming NV service REG queries ~1000 times a second and could use up to 5% GPU usage in certain scenarios (nvidia drivers 511.65 and 511.72)

Load up Process Monitor and see for yourselves ( Gsync Monitors )

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...ownload-discussion.441708/page-2#post-5990146

Nvidia are looking into it

Does this show up within task mgr?

Because I can't see it.

I don't install GFE though.

Soldato
OP
I've gone back to the 472.12's AGAIN! :mad::mad:

Apparently if you have a GSNYC monitor, dwm.exe is spamming NV service REG queries ~1000 times a second and could use up to 5% GPU usage in certain scenarios (nvidia drivers 511.65 and 511.72)

Load up Process Monitor and see for yourselves ( Gsync Monitors )

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...ownload-discussion.441708/page-2#post-5990146

Nvidia are looking into it

Is this still the case if you install with NVSlimmer and remove all the gubbins ?

NVSlimmer - NVIDIA driver slimming utility

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvslimmer-nvidia-driver-slimming-utility.423072/

Version 0.12

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2p9x5dt5l0ug1bv/NVSlimmer_v0.12.zip?dl=0

Caporegime
Is this still the case if you install with NVSlimmer and remove all the gubbins ?

Yes

It's looking more and more likely that it's Display port/GSYNC related

Scroll down, you'll see more reports of it now, with some saying it uses more cpu cycles than spotify or a browser running
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...1-72-driver-download-discussion.441708/page-7

Here's my Brothers PC with the same issue! Two completely different systems, but both GSYNC
Clipboard02.jpg

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
Never tried that. Let me download, how do I get Nvidia info from it ?

Load it up
Click Edit : Clear Display

Scroll down for dwm.exe, if nothing use Clear Display again sometimes it takes a couple of event clears before it floods the window again!

I just did a Process Activity Summary, it showed there were atleast 21,904 registry events compared to any other Windows process. Which is crazy!

Clipboard02.jpg

Soldato
OP
Load it up
Click Edit : Clear Display

Scroll down for dwm.exe, if nothing use Clear Display again sometimes it takes a couple of event clears before it floods the window again!

I just did a Process Activity Summary, it showed there were atleast 21,904 registry events compared to any other Windows process. Which is crazy!

Clipboard02.jpg

Okay I see a ton of that dwm.exe after following your instructions and scrolling way down. I have no idea what this means, will this slow down my PC?

Caporegime
Okay I see a ton of that dwm.exe after following your instructions and scrolling way down. I have no idea what this means, will this slow down my PC?

Most don't notice it, however it can use up to 5% CPU time even in games which it shouldn't be doing! It uses more cpu time than playing a game with spotify or browsers open in the background :cry:.

Not a problem pre 5x drivers

Soldato
OP
Most don't notice it, however it can use up to 5% CPU time even in games which it shouldn't be doing! It uses more cpu time than playing a game with spotify or browsers open in the background :cry:.

Not a problem pre 5x drivers

That's mad, yeah I thought Nvslimmer avoided this type of thing with Nvidia drivers. Is the only way to fix to roll back then ? Ugh xD

Soldato

Click on "Tools" and then "Process Activity Summary" and find "Registry Events", and click on the title to get ascending order.

Bloody hell, I looked at it a few minutes ago, dwm.exe was showing 299000 events, now it's showing 499000!

I reckon Nvidia is mining on my GPU! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom