• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't bother with any of that, everything runs fine, it's been a long time since you /needed/ to clean install NV drivers, several years... Just update using the installer and all's well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't bother with any of that, everything runs fine, it's been a long time since you /needed/ to clean install NV drivers, several years... Just update using the installer and all's well.

So they don't use telemetry no more is it? :p

What changed since you stopped needing to clean it by the way. I always do it still.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The installer doing the cleaning itself when simply updating the NV drivers.

As for telemetry, not seeing any of those processes in active connections or BG processes:

fCRMmSz.png

This may be because I use NV App instead of GFE and GFE uses telemetry to know when to auto download app/game profiles etc whereas NV App doesn't do that and only updates profiles with a driver update.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The installer doing the cleaning itself when simply updating the NV drivers.

As for telemetry, not seeing any of those processes in active connections or BG processes:

fCRMmSz.png

This may be because I use NV App instead of GFE and GFE uses telemetry to know when to auto download app/game profiles etc whereas NV App doesn't do that and only updates profiles with a driver update.

But what I am asking what changed for you to stop cleaning drivers some years ago? :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Exactly what I said above, don't need to "clean" Nvidia drivers, the updater already does it and has done for ages.

An update is a proper update.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Exactly what I said above, don't need to "clean" Nvidia drivers, the updater already does it and has done for ages.

An update is a proper update.

Still did not answer my question :cry:

I would still rather remove all the crap before installing. Just want the driver. Rather not leave the telemetry stuff to chance. Windows probably already sends a bunch of telemetry even though I disable everything I can see possible.

One of these days I will install pihole or something like that out of curiosity to see what is going on :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So when you say update, you mean just download the driver, run it and it will do the rest?
Whether through the manual installer download or via GFE/NV App yes. It removes all the old driver files properly and installs the new files. This has been the way for years now. Unless you are changing GPU vendor or switching mobos etc, then a "nv clean" is not necessary unless something drastic has gone wrong on your Windows or something along those lines.

You don't even need to click the "clean install" button on the driver updater window. All that does is reset the NVCP values to default which means when you boot back into windows you'll have to reconfig your NVCP settings and profiles again. I never check that box as a result and my settings retain over any NV driver update. The core installer itself does all the cleaning as part of the update.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you guys use the GeForce experience software for updating drivers?

I've been using that and it's very hit and miss, at the moment get a 504 gateway error. Would you suggest uninstalled the Geforce experience software and just download the drivers?
I used to, never had a problem with it as far as installing drivers is concerned. I use the new Nvidia App beta now, no issues there either and a much more useful thing than GF Experience was.

Caporegime
Found the cause of my frame drops...

Just played DayZ and it was stuttering, low frame rates just like Star Citizen. Saw my GPU was saying 0% which wasn't right. Alt Tabbed, came back in and game was running fine. Enabled GPU/CPU monitoring, instant drop/stutter and doesn't come back unless I alt-tab. So It's the Nvidia App :/

Caporegime
GeForce 555.99 WHQL

Game Ready for Pax Dei and Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree

This new Game Ready Driver provides the best gaming experience for the latest new games supporting DLSS 3 technology including Pax Dei and Still Wakes the Deep. Further support for new titles includes the launch of the Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree expansion.

Fixed Gaming Bugs

• [GeForce Experience] Flickering or black screen if Instant Replay is enabled [4665009]
  • [NVIDIA app] FPS overlay showing NA in multiple games [4608943]

Fixed General Bugs

• CUDA 12.5 does not work with CUDA enabled Docker images [4668302]
  • [Microsoft New Teams/Outlook] Visual artifacts when MFAA is enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel [4608670]
  • LG OLED48C4 TV is not detected as G-SYNC Compatible [4645783]
  • LG 32GS95UE is not detected as G-SYNC Compatible [4564083]

support AV1 encoding for nvidia app here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/software/nvidia-app/

Studio driver - https://us.download.nvidia.com/Wind...10-win11-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql.exe @mrk

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah a reboot is necessary as per always, even if it doesn't prompt you. A core driver has been updated, I don't ever expect everything to be usable until a reboot out of practice and experience really on Windows.

Soldato
Found the cause of my frame drops...

Just played DayZ and it was stuttering, low frame rates just like Star Citizen. Saw my GPU was saying 0% which wasn't right. Alt Tabbed, came back in and game was running fine. Enabled GPU/CPU monitoring, instant drop/stutter and doesn't come back unless I alt-tab. So It's the Nvidia App :/

Is this after turning on the stats overlay? I've had that lately, it was fine before I updated the drivers (prior to the latest release today) so I'm hoping it's fixed now that both the app and drivers have been updated again.

Back
Top Bottom