• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
I can honestly say I have never had any issues with any drivers for years that I have been aware of. It is interesting reading nvidia forums or here about all the issues.

Some issues are very platform/system-specific and some people simply don't know if something isn't working the way it should and think it is normal.

Caporegime
I can honestly say I have never had any issues with any drivers for years that I have been aware of. It is interesting reading nvidia forums or here about all the issues.

Every driver has an issue, hence why Nvidia always does a Release Note [Fixes] and [Issues]

The 461.x are plagued with them

Soldato
Its true every PC is different and people play different games. So not everyone will experience issues. One thing is fairly true though when people comment about problems with a certain driver you can usually conclude there is an issue with it even if you dont experience it first hand.

I normally dont have issues with Nvidia drivers but I agree the 461.x's are a bit dodgy for me.
460.x drivers you will find less comments as these are generally what people with 461.x are going back to until we see 465.x or whatever.

Caporegime
460.x and above seem to have brought countless browser crashes when watching YouTube/Prine/Netflix for me, either that or my GPU is giving up the ghost although that said I’m not having any issues gaming wise, no crashes whatsoever, rolling back to an older 450 series driver seems to cure the video playback crashes so I’m hoping they come up with a fix soon if indeed it’s a bug somewhere.

Soldato
460.x and above seem to have brought countless browser crashes when watching YouTube/Prine/Netflix for me, either that or my GPU is giving up the ghost although that said I’m not having any issues gaming wise, no crashes whatsoever, rolling back to an older 450 series driver seems to cure the video playback crashes so I’m hoping they come up with a fix soon if indeed it’s a bug somewhere.

I think I read that "Use hardware acceleration when available" being on was the cause in the browser.

Caporegime
I think I read that "Use hardware acceleration when available" being on was the cause in the browser.
Yes, I’ve read that myself somewhere but surely that would just be the case with a particular browser? - I get the same browser crashes watching videos in Firefox, Chrome and Opera, I’ll have a look to see if hardware acceleration is an option in each one tonight although I’ve never previously had cause to look....

Thanks. :)

Caporegime
GPU : Nvidia 980 GTX
Motherboard : z68xp ud3p ( Latest Bios )
CPU : I7 2600K
Sound : Asus Xonar ( Latest Low Latency Drivers ) : Nvidia HD Audio Disabled
OS : Windows 10 ( All updated ) : High Performance Mode in Power Options
Drivers Issue : 461.06, 461.33, 461.40, 461.51 - High Latency : Sound Popping/Cracking
Drivers working fine : 432.00,457.51. 460.79.

GPU : Nvidia 2070 RTX Super
Motherboard : MSI Gaming 5 ( Latest Bios )
CPU : I7 4790K
Sound : Asus Xonar ( Latest Low Latency Drivers ) : Nvidia HD Audio Disabled
OS : Windows 10 ( All updated ) : High Performance Mode in Power Options
Drivers Issue : 461.06, 461.33, 461.40, 461.51 - High Latency : Sound Popping/Cracking
Drivers working fine : 432.00,457.51. 460.79.

Wonder why the latest drivers have such higher latency?

Caporegime
NVIDIA: V-Sync OFF Not Recommended as a Global Setting

This communique slipped through the mazes, but apparently NVIDIA V-Sync OFF is no longer recommended as a Global Setting Starting with Driver Version 461.09.

One of the problems is that several Windows APPs can produce screen tearing (doh). The following statement has been made by NVIDIA:

Beginning with the NVIDIA Driver version 461.09, setting V-Sync OFF as a global setting from the NVIDIA Control Panel will likely result in tearing even when viewing content in windowed mode.

When V-Sync is enabled, the application's frame rate is synchronized with the display refresh rate in order to eliminate tearing. Typically, tearing would occur when viewing applications in full-screen mode, so V-Sync is useful in eliminating tearing in this case.

Prior to driver version 461.09, only a single plane was available to the OS. The Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) would composit the contents from all the windows and then present everything at the refresh rate cadence. This means that tearing was avoided by DWM design even without V-Sync.

However, driver version 461.09 and later supports multiplane overlay (MPO). (MPO provides benefits, such as reduced latencies, for gaming in windowed mode.) With multiplane overlay, the application is allowed to present its contents independently and with its own V-Sync setting. The OS, outside of driver control, decides which apps get promoted to their own MPO plane. If V-Sync is OFF, then there will be tearing (even in windowed mode) because, as in full-screen mode, there is now no desktop compositor controlling the presentation. Setting V-Sync OFF now has the same effect in windowed apps as it does for full-screen apps.

To avoid unexpected tearing in windowed mode, NVIDIA recommends leaving the V-Sync global setting at the default "Use the 3D application setting".

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/n...recommended_as_a_global_setting_starting.html

Permabanned
I have G-Sync+Fast-Sync as recommended in that big write up years ago, a few games may have issue with Fast-Sync so simply disable it for those.

Soldato
That's interesting. I've had a couple during web browsing too of late. Screen freezes, a brief black screen and then it recovers. Opening the Event Viewer notes it was nvlddmkm that crashed and recovered. I figured perhaps my curve overclock was slightly unstable, but I didn't see how as I didn't touch any of the lower points at all and it's been rigorously tested in games.

Yep definitely interesting. I'm getting a freeze for maybe about 10 seconds when Youtube is on with browser open and then everything back to normal so I assume it's this issue then. It's only when YouTube is on though I reckon , games etc are fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its true every PC is different and people play different games. So not everyone will experience issues. One thing is fairly true though when people comment about problems with a certain driver you can usually conclude there is an issue with it even if you dont experience it first hand.

I normally dont have issues with Nvidia drivers but I agree the 461.x's are a bit dodgy for me.
460.x drivers you will find less comments as these are generally what people with 461.x are going back to until we see 465.x or whatever.

How do you install an older nvidia driver? A noobish question eh!? I mean you have to roll back. Do you uninstall the newer one first?

Soldato
I had read, just comments within other forums not an article, that I would need to have the global VSync settings OFF within the Nvidia control panel for it to work ok with my Gsync 165hz monitor.
I guess I'll change that to on now, Gsync being picked up correctly.

This seems to cover it....

altho the preference noted is to set the VSync within the game rather than globally.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do you install an older nvidia driver? A noobish question eh!? I mean you have to roll back. Do you uninstall the newer one first?

Just install the older one over the top of the current one. You can always tick the "clean driver install" option if you want to. The installer removes the current one automatically.

I had read, just comments within other forums not an article, that I would need to have the global VSync settings OFF within the Nvidia control panel for it to work ok with my Gsync 165hz monitor.
I guess I'll change that to on now, Gsync being picked up correctly.

This has been a long old discussion (in the old gsync thread) on here but traditionally the best way for gsync has always been in Nvidia Control Panel, gsync on, vsync on, in game vsync off. Nvidia's recent comment about having vsync on in NCP has something gsync owners have been doing for years its nothing new. Nvidia current reasoning is a different reason though.

There has also been the added recommendation of setting your frame rate one below your monitor refresh rate. So if you have a 144mhz monitor cap the frames to 143fps. (previously done by Riva Tuner now can be done in Nvidia Control panel)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom