!!!! The OCUK Martial Arts Thread !!!!

Soldato
IceBus said:
What do you guys think of Tae Kwon Do?

I know it's a bit flashier, but I like the kicking styles etc :)

It looks impressive but if you get in a spot of bother the last thing you want to be doing is a spinning back kick or whatever. Having never done it though I can't really say much about it, I'm sure it less flashier stuff is perhaps more effective.

Soldato
I might well do both if time will allow it, I love the gymnastic side of TKD but as you say it'd be good to have some effective grappling too :)

Is it wrong to be hugely influenced by this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Im very biased towards ITF style TKD. But like everything, if your interested give it a try and see how you enjoy it.

That video was pretty cool......but those Xtreme martial artists are very athletic and well trained with a lot of practice. To me, that is glorified acrobatics....where are they ever going to use break dancing and flips to defend themselves? I wouldnt label that stuff martial arts just cos they throw the odd kick.
But hey, if thats what you want to do, then good luck, it takes a hell of a lot of dedication and training to get to that level. I think Parkour is cooler.

Soldato
There's a lad where I train who's into all this kind of stuff. Our style naturally takes into account what you're interested in, then he does gymnastics on top of it and kind of combines the two. He's a talented lad, but recently had a retina detatched and is only just getting back into the swing of things. :S

Soldato
I'm really really looking forward to starting MAs now, it's going to be totally alien to me but I can't wait for the challenge. I've started doing some stretches to try and get my flexibility decent to prepare myself.

Does anyone know what would be a realistic goal grading wise for my three years at University for TKD or Jujitsu?

Soldato
Depends on the style of Jitsu. At our club, 3 years would just about get you to 1st Kyu, which is one grade before you go for Black. We have 4 months between gradings though, and then 6 months from 2nd to 1st Kyu, then a further 6 from 1st Kyu to Dan.

I think Notts Uni is a TJF style club, they have gradings every 3 months but have restrictions on getting to Brown belt and above. In 3 years you could certainly reach brown, but to get a Dan grade you have to have taught on a regular basis/run a club. A Dan grade may be possible, but it's an outside chance.

Soldato
IceBus said:
I'm really really looking forward to starting MAs now, it's going to be totally alien to me but I can't wait for the challenge. I've started doing some stretches to try and get my flexibility decent to prepare myself.

Does anyone know what would be a realistic goal grading wise for my three years at University for TKD or Jujitsu?

I can only speak for ITF taekwondo, but a good instructor and school can see you to your black belt in about 3.5 years, providing you train on average twice a week and grade regularly.

Soldato
Sweet guys that's awesome :) I basically wanted to try and get to an intermediate standard, maybe Green-Red in TKD or Blue+ in Jujitsu :D

I know the belt doesn't matter etc. etc. and it's all about your form and how well you know the art, but it's nice to have a feeling of achievement and a mark of progress at the end :) Also it gives me something to aim for from the start!

I really can't wait to start out, everyone I've spoken to about MA has been really helpful and supportive and I can't wait to get stuck into getting my arse kicked ;)

Soldato
Cool man, glad your psyched about starting!! You would make green tag in one year with a good amount of training in TKD. Including all the uni work you will be putting in, with an average amount of training, I reckon that by the end of the 3rd year you would have made red tag at least.

Soldato
Can you guys recommend any good TKD or Jujitsu books? Preferably autobiography, I would love to read some technique stuff but as someone on another forum suggested it might be unwise to start filling my head with one type of teaching, when I don't know how my teacher will approach it. I'm going to get a Bruce Lee autobiography for general inspiration purposes.

Anything along the lines of Angry White Pajamas as I loved reading it?

Associate
panthro said:
I can only speak for ITF taekwondo, but a good instructor and school can see you to your black belt in about 3.5 years, providing you train on average twice a week and grade regularly.

that is exactly the reason why I fell out with TKD, all they ever do in the classes are train for grading. Though I keep on meaning to go back to participate in the comps

Caporegime
OP
The_morrell said:
that is exactly the reason why I fell out with TKD, all they ever do in the classes are train for grading. Though I keep on meaning to go back to participate in the comps

Yeah it's very much a grading/sport activity. Great for fitness and social life though. :)

Soldato
mctrials23 said:
Thats what puts me off so many arts, they only seem to focus on pointless gradings. Id rather learn a combat art for self defence than earn a badge that says ** hard.

That's why I love the club I train at. We have 4 months between grading and that time is split roughly 1/3 sparring, 1/3 learning random new stuff and then 1/3 training specifcally for a grading. It works well and you don't feel like your just focusing on your next belt the whole time.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Ice...why did you choose tkd out of interest?

I like the variety of kicks, it's quit gymnastic and imo is as good an art as any to get a basic grounding of techniques.

I do plan to take Jujitsu at the same time, as long as it doesn't clash, as I think it'd probably be more useful in a SD situation, as usually you don't have the time and space to set yourself for a 720 flash kick. Jujitsu should be more useful where most fights end up, on the floor ;)

Apparently gradings at Uni are every 3 months, which imo gives enough of a break to concentrate on what you're learning, but gives you a new goal every term :)

Soldato
Dont get me wrong, a good class with have a good mix of syllabus training, cardio, technique, sparring, etc. Ultimately, whatever your doing in between your gradings in contributing to the next grading anyway.
Gradings and belts in tkd are not there to say "im hard". You should wash that mind from your head. They are there to test your proficency of the art and to show your seniors as well as others that you have progressed, and that people can recognise and know what your ability is.

You may be able to see for yourself that you have progressed, but when a senior level pracitioner says "yes - I believe you are at xxx level of xxx art and your progression is coming along very well", then it makes the recognition worthwhile.

There isnt one art that I can think of that doesnt have a systematic level of progression, be it belts, certificates, ranks, etc. Arts that dont have belts still have beginners, seniors, novices.

In tkd your a beginner up to your 1st Dan black belt, and then you become a novice. Its only until 4th dan that you become an instructor.

Back
Top Bottom