The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
of to spa for the f1 in a few weeks me and a pal both love our whisky, every year we have been (past 7) we have just bought over there which seems to be jonnie walker red label, its ok after a few beers.

This year we are taking a bottle each of something decent. my Usual tipple is JD Single, Glenfidich green 12 yo and a bit of jura.

Anything that will send the ball out the park? under 60 quid?

Soldato
of to spa for the f1 in a few weeks me and a pal both love our whisky, every year we have been (past 7) we have just bought over there which seems to be jonnie walker red label, its ok after a few beers.

This year we are taking a bottle each of something decent. my Usual tipple is JD Single, Glenfidich green 12 yo and a bit of jura.

I took a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail to Le Mans this year. That went down well.

Soldato

Lagavullin 16 is my go to around that price now but more peaty than the ones you mention.

Soldato

Based off your usual tipples I'd try a balvenie 12yr doublewood.

Soldato
Went to my mates 40th at SMWS (Scots Malt Whisky Society) in London on Saturday.
They have their own bottlings from the majority of distillers and have a dozen or so new releases every month. You need to be a member to attend their events but in this case it was a private event.
Each bottle has a cask number (eg. 58.25) the 1st part being the distillery (I forget the 2nd part) and a description of what they think sums it up, usually only a few words. Everything is at cask strength.
So, my drinks list was (pretty much all bourbon cask)

So a few releases from the past couple of months;

58.25 - Tantalising and Teasing - Strathisla (Chivas Regal) 12yr
64.104 - Oat Cuisine - Mannochmore 9yr
73.138 - Sweet Memories of Autumn - Mortlach 12yr
58.24 - Melts in Your Mouth - Strathisla 9yr
13.58 - Remains of the Earl Grey - Dalmore 10yr

And then I started picking my own from the hundreds of options they have (I've forgotten one though as I forgot to take a pic of the bottle)

35.207 - Pine Nuts on Baked Apple - Glen Moray 22yr
37.61 - Refreshing and Relaxing - Cragganmore 29yr
76.137 - Complete Nirvana - Mortlach 30yr

A great night out and spoilt for choice.

Soldato
Any good deals at the moment? Looking to stock up, something around the £30-40 mark. Prefer Speyside style, no peat/smoke as I just taste that as too medicinal. Was debating trying something Irish as I love anything triple distilled (like Auchentoshan).

Soldato
Any good deals at the moment? Looking to stock up, something around the £30-40 mark. Prefer Speyside style, no peat/smoke as I just taste that as too medicinal. Was debating trying something Irish as I love anything triple distilled (like Auchentoshan).

some of my recents:

Tomatin legacy - very easy drinking, smooth and nice aftertaste. new top ten fav of mine now.
Penderyn legend - not bad, better than the penderyn original i think, nicer with a drop of water.
Scapa Skiren - now this was nice. little peaty but not to much as i don't like peaty whiskeys, will try the other scapas next that are more expensive.
balvenie - caribbean cask - my favourite, hadn't got that for ages as out of stock.

Soldato
Should have added, prefer oak casks for the vanilla'y flavours, over sherry casks. I think I tried a Tomatin which was crazy-sweet. Not to my taste if I'm honest.

GlenAllachie 12 sounds nice (just popped up on the news page of my local whiskey shop)

Soldato
Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch, makes a damn good Old Fashioned

When you go to Frankfurt with your pal and find a whisky bar (was a hotel) without looking at prices... doh

The Laphroaig was very different, i bought a bottle of amazon on my return for £27.00 :(

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is fantastic, one of my favourites

Soldato
At the weekend I popped into a Tesco Express and wasn't sure but thought I'd seen Hibiki 12 on the shelf.. in a Tesco Express..
Not wanting to miss-out on a bottle discontinued in 2015 I went all the way back across town today to the same shop.
Sure enough Hibiki 12 was there on the shelf, at normal retail price! So I do what any self respecting whisky fan does and buy all their bottles. :D

cuo33SUl.jpg

Soldato
Amazing find. If you paid anywhere near retail release price for each of those, you could make your money back by just putting 1 into an auction.

I don't think you'll see many age statement releases from some distilleries in Japan soon.

Soldato
At the weekend I popped into a Tesco Express and wasn't sure but thought I'd seen Hibiki 12 on the shelf.. in a Tesco Express..
Not wanting to miss-out on a bottle discontinued in 2015 I went all the way back across town today to the same shop.
Sure enough Hibiki 12 was there on the shelf, at normal retail price! So I do what any self respecting whisky fan does and buy all their bottles. :D

cuo33SUl.jpg
Just went into the Tesco express over the road to check, no such luck. How much was retail price? Will you keep any do you think?

Back
Top Bottom