The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
I'm a whiskey novice and need some advice. I recently read a whiskey blog about how to find a decent whiskey at a decent price. One of the tips it gave was to always look for whiskey when your abroad. So, as I have moved to France a few years ago, I thought I'd do just that. A local supermarket here has a shelf full of Jameson 12 year special reserve. As I understand Jameson have discontinued this .Its obviously old stock they've put back out for Xmas. It's retailing at 32.29 euros for 70cl. So what's your opinion on this? Is it a good price and should I buy some?

I wouldn't be looking at Jameson 12 as an investment bottle. Yes, any bottle that goes out of production will gain some value, but the real value increase comes mainly from rarity. That rarity is based in quality however, and specifically within that, a cult following. Five years ago, a Mortlach 16 Flora and Fauna was about £45. Now it's £200. Purely because it's (imo) one of the best whiskies ever made, and it's no longer made. I've had 3 bottles in my life, they're gone now, because I buy whisky to enjoy, not to invest (don't regret). That said, there are few industries where you can make a 4x increase on your investment; Jameson 12 isn't one.

In fact, there are loads of Flora and Fauna bottles from various really good distilleries still hanging around at reasonable prices. I have tried many, and most are really good, but none have had the same 'cult' following the Mortlach did. Perhaps they still will...

Associate
I'm going to be out very early here with some advice. My dad is turning 60 in January 2020. He likes whiskey and me and my brothers have thought about getting a bottle for his birthday then. We have been talking about maybe get a bottle from his year of birth (1960) as we believe a 60 year old whiskey would be waayyyyyy to pricey for us (but a very cool present though). Any one got some ideas or suggestions around this?

Associate
I'm going to be out very early here with some advice. My dad is turning 60 in January 2020. He likes whiskey and me and my brothers have thought about getting a bottle for his birthday then. We have been talking about maybe get a bottle from his year of birth (1960) as we believe a 60 year old whiskey would be waayyyyyy to pricey for us (but a very cool present though). Any one got some ideas or suggestions around this?
How about 2 or 3 bottles that add up to 60? A 30, 20 and a 10 or 3x20 year olds is probably the way I'd go. It could still be pricey, but no where near a 60 year old bottle.

Associate
How about 2 or 3 bottles that add up to 60? A 30, 20 and a 10 or 3x20 year olds is probably the way I'd go. It could still be pricey, but no where near a 60 year old bottle.

That is one way to do it. Pretty good idea. I'm also thinking about trying to find a bottle that was bottled in 1960 but maybe only was stored for 12-18 years or so before being bottled.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I totally agree, about their "Rare Old, Special Strength, etc" range. Huge let down compared to the Flora and Fauna. I also had great examples of independent bottlers, specifically Signatory.

I'm not talking about any of those though, I'm on about the new range of 12, 16, and 20 year old expressions. For some reason can't be found on MoM but only on WE.
I always use the green welly stop at tyndrum

they have the 12 and the 16 but like I said the mortlach 15 from G&M is as good a drop as I have had recently..smooth and easy drinking (probably too easy drinking!)

Soldato

You would be hard pushed to find a 60yr old on the market, 50yr olds have been appearing a bit more recently (new bottlings).
Glenfarclas might be your best bet but you can expect to pay at least £7k.
A weekend in Aberlour and The Mashtun might be easier as you can buy your birth year (Glenfarclas) by the dram if they have it. And add a few distilleries into the trip (I highly recommend the Ballindalloch private and very personal tour).

How about distilled in 1960? I had a mix and match for my 40th (distilled or bottled in 1978 or 40yr olds).
And don't forget that Grain is cheaper than Single Malt. Old grain is pretty tasty.

Associate
That is one way to do it. Pretty good idea. I'm also thinking about trying to find a bottle that was bottled in 1960 but maybe only was stored for 12-18 years or so before being bottled.
Depends how much you are willing to spend really. It would be cheaper than a 60 year old, but you are still talking well over £1000 for one.

Edit
Your best bet is to check out the online whisky auctions, there should be ones popping up and you might get a bargain, but I think a distilled in 1960 is a better bet like this one.

Last edited:
Associate
You would be hard pushed to find a 60yr old on the market, 50yr olds have been appearing a bit more recently (new bottlings).
Glenfarclas might be your best bet but you can expect to pay at least £7k.
A weekend in Aberlour and The Mashtun might be easier as you can buy your birth year (Glenfarclas) by the dram if they have it. And add a few distilleries into the trip (I highly recommend the Ballindalloch private and very personal tour).

How about distilled in 1960? I had a mix and match for my 40th (distilled or bottled in 1978 or 40yr olds).
And don't forget that Grain is cheaper than Single Malt. Old grain is pretty tasty.

The distilled in 1960 is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that if I shall be honest. The distilleries trip is another good idea as well. Gonna look into that as well :)

Associate
Thanks everyone for the advice on the Jameson 12. Think I'll get a bottle for my own enjoyment then. I'll keep looking for something a bit more in demand.

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the advice on the Jameson 12. Think I'll get a bottle for my own enjoyment then. I'll keep looking for something a bit more in demand.

Japanese age statement. Hibiki especially as you won't see much of it in the future.
If you are looking to invest though, you need to get on the new releases in the first 10 mins of them hitting the shops/online stores.
But just remember, what it costs is not an indication of how good it is or whats its actually worth. A bad review will see the 2nd hand market prices drop very quickly. Speaking to friends that are involved quite heavily in flipping, its quite time consuming and you rarely make fantastic money and don't forget the auction fees.

Soldato
Got a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 from my girlfriend's parents which is going down pretty well already. Pretty run of the mill, but my gosh it's tasty. Almonds, vanilla, yum.

How strange that my mum thought one bottle of wine between 3 was enough for Christmas day! :confused:

Associate
Got a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 from my girlfriend's parents which is going down pretty well already. Pretty run of the mill, but my gosh it's tasty. Almonds, vanilla, yum.

How strange that my mum thought one bottle of wine between 3 was enough for Christmas day! :confused:

She probably thought you would bring a bottle...

Associate
im quite new to whiskey.

what are your thoughts of a japanese whiskey compared to the likes of traditional scotish / irish whiskey?

i have a bottle of chita from suntory which i need to open. ( to break my japanese cherry :p )

Associate
im quite new to whiskey.

what are your thoughts of a japanese whiskey compared to the likes of traditional scotish / irish whiskey?

i have a bottle of chita from suntory which i need to open. ( to break my japanese cherry :p )
Like most whisk(e)y producing countries they do some very good and some utterly awful (Fujikai 10 :eek:) whiskies. If you can find some going cheap give them a try and see what you think yourself, but many of them are quite expensive compared to Scotch and Irish Whiskey and not good value for money.

The other potential issue with Japanese whisky is that, unlike pretty much any other whisky producing country, it doesn't have much by way of regulation, it doesn't even need to be distilled in Japan, they can import whisky from any other producer and use that and still call it Japanese. Scotch, Bourbon, Canadian and Irish whiskies all have some degree of regulation about where and how it is made. Some people have an issue with that, others don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a bottle of Penderyn Myth as a leaving present from work last summer. I've just opened it and... wow. I don't think this will be lasting long :D

I'm not much of a Whisky drinker. I've usually got a bottle of Jura or similar in the house for the odd occasion that I fancy a glass. But I'm now wondering if I've just been buying the wrong Whiskies?

Associate
Has anyone else pre-ordered any of the Game of Thrones Whiskys? I've went for the Oban (Nights watch), I know there is a bit of a mark up due to the branding, but the bottle is pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom