The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Associate
Am getting a little confused now, I have orderred a vertex 3 120Gb and a 2500k and a gigabyte P67UD4 Motherboard, is this a bad combination i.e. does it have a Marvell controller that people are moaning about?

regards,

Matt

Associate
Am getting a little confused now, I have orderred a vertex 3 120Gb and a 2500k and a gigabyte P67UD4 Motherboard, is this a bad combination i.e. does it have a Marvell controller that people are moaning about?

regards,

Matt

No you are fine the UD4 comes with the Intel controller. I think all the Sandy Bridge boards do.

Associate
you wont, the p55 board has a marvel sata3 controller as mentioned already.
the drive wont be getting its full bandwidth potential. whilst the performance will still be better than the sata2 performance of the board, it wont be running flat out.

Well now whats the point in me getting a Vertex 3? If im not gonna get near the speeds of 500mb.

I havent seen that pointed out anywhere in reviews that it doesn'tplay ball with marvell controllers.

Why should i bother with the higher speed when for the same money i can get a G3 which has pretty poor speeds for a next gen drive but seeing as i can't take advantage of anything much faster it seems a bit silly?

Would i not be better with a Intel Elmcrest which has marvell or the G3 160GB drive, think i will try and cancel my order until i find out all the pitfalls with the controllers.

Could i buy something like:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CC-000-AS&tool=3

Although i dont know what the controller is on that. If it was Intel couldi then get the vertex to run full capacity? or is it simply not possible to get a Intel controller on P55

Associate
Here is my Vertex3 on the Intel 6GB port of the P8P67 Pro
Benchmark looks spot on to me.

Vertex3_aTTo.jpg

Soldato
OCZ reckon 80% of writes to an OS drive are compressible, typically. Regardless, the drives feel fast so that's good enough for me. ;)

Associate
From my reading, RAID mode is AHCI. Can you boot up with it in AHCI mode without the RAID to test it?

You need the Intel Rapid Storage drivers if you haven't installed already. That gave me a massive speed boost over the Microsoft driver.

Yes already using the Intel Rapid Storage drivers... Got the latest 10.1.0.1008 from Asus site.

I will try in 'normal' AHCI mode (loosing the raid drives) to see if that helps..

But to move my raid drives to the Marvel controller will require a full backup and restore which I don't really want to do if I can avoid it!

Associate
I think someone needs to make a sticky in the forum.

To keep it simple:

Marvel SATA3 controller: Fine for SATA2 drives. Fine for SATA3 drives, but with reduced performance. Most people will be disappointed with the transfer rates of a Vertex 3 on this controller.

Intel SATA3 controller: Fine for SATA2 drives. Will get maximum performance for SATA3 drives.

If you don't have a Sandybridge you won't get the full potential from a Vertex 3.

Associate
In the box was a mounting bracket, screws, the drive, a tacky sticker (but hey, it's a sticker!), and the briefest of warranty/instruction guides that don't really do justice to the post-install tweaks needed (which are OK to do, no beef there, just lacking in the packaging which I think is odd since it can affect the lifetime).

(Edit: Compared to most mechanical drives I ever bought though, this is probably above par. Other drives I was lucky to get a bit of foam and an anti-static bag most times ;) )

Back
Top Bottom