Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
really tempted by this. was looking at a new ipad as im still rocking the first gen ipad mini and the ipad air has caught my attention. but then im thinking should i just go for the macbook air instead? i can get it for £899

Commissario
OP
I've just noticed the changes to the keyboard on the MacBook Air. There is the emoji button, bottom left and the change to the function keys. I'll never use the Spotlight one because I always use command space to invoke it but I'm using dictation to type this post (and I've been using it in messenger all day), and it's been flawless.

Associate
really tempted by this. was looking at a new ipad as im still rocking the first gen ipad mini and the ipad air has caught my attention. but then im thinking should i just go for the macbook air instead? i can get it for £899

May i ask where you have seen this for £899 please?

Associate

This is exactly what I did. Was going to get an iPad Air plus the Magic keyboard, but this worked out pretty much the same price and I'll get a lot more use out of the MacBook with my sort of usage.

Soldato
You can, but there are a few limitations. HDCP content is basically blocked if you're using Displaylink, so that's something to be aware of.

Yeah it looks like if multiple screens are something that’s part of your home set-up, even with the M1 Mini, you’re better off waiting for future models. I suppose Apple’s view would be that the vast majority of people buying entry level Macs are just going to use them solo or with a single display with the Mini, so why bother. Option would have been nice though.

Soldato
This is exactly what I did. Was going to get an iPad Air plus the Magic keyboard, but this worked out pretty much the same price and I'll get a lot more use out of the MacBook with my sort of usage.
yeah thats what i was thinking, i can imagine id want the keyboard too.

Soldato
Apple seldom release anything between December and Feb.

You generally need to get things out well in advance of Xmas, spending is normally way down in January and Chinese New Year in the middle of Feb which is a weeks downtime for the factories.

Stuff starts ramping up again in March.

Back
Top Bottom