Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Associate
So, I now have my MBP in to replace the MBA.

obviously very similar machines overall, slightly heavier though. But happy to report that I also haven’t heard the fan come on yet.

Soldato
Not with AppleCare+ of course ;)

Joking aside that is my only concern with jumping into the MacBook ecosystem. Some of the stories I've heard about Apple's aftercare, especially with the misnomer of Apple Genius, have me hoping nothing goes wrong with this machine once it's out of warranty. I'm not talking about expecting free repairs, but accurate diagnosis is a must. Anyone can sell you something, it's how you're looked after in after sales that gets you back.

Soldato
Joking aside that is my only concern with jumping into the MacBook ecosystem. Some of the stories I've heard about Apple's aftercare, especially with the misnomer of Apple Genius, have me hoping nothing goes wrong with this machine once it's out of warranty. I'm not talking about expecting free repairs, but accurate diagnosis is a must. Anyone can sell you something, it's how you're looked after in after sales that gets you back.

I think a lot of the problem is consumer expectation.
The amount of times I’ve had a customer demand a manager because I couldn’t tell them there and then exactly what component failed and thus the exact price is ridiculous.
And when you tell them it’s a 5 day TaT ..
Crap hits the fan!

Associate

My personal experience has been exemplary, and I am willing to bet most other people find the same.

The Apple Genuises have to deal with every sort of layperson coming into complain that their iPhone doesn't have the right ring tone.

I've felt that you just patiently go through their questions and process, and politely explain some of the more technical steps you have taken to diagnose the issue. They are smart enough to realise its not just a case of restarting it and will escalate it appropriately. I've always felt they treated you well and will do the right thing. Just don't take the mick and don't come across as a know it all.

Off the top of my head, I cannot remember a single incident where I felt they did me wrong. They have been great at repairing a bunch of issues I had with my iPhone battery, a previous laptop that was having some strange behaviour with the screen etc. And yes, you absolutely do get free out of warranty repairs IF they support staff can see you have done absolutely nothing wrong and they want to do right by you as a customer.

Soldato
I don’t think that was he is referring to.

For starts, Apple doesn’t to board level repairs which is fine, neither do most laptop manufacturers. Any issues with circuit boards require a whole new one.

But in the main they just replaces whole assemblies instead of individual components. That’s where the issue starts when talking about out of warranty repairs. Sometimes simple and cheap issues result in extortionate repair costs because of that repair methodology.

When an expensive out of warranty repair comes up they often push new devices, which isn’t totally unreasonable for most given their repair costs but the reality is that you may be able to get it repaired elsewhere for a fraction of the price. The second issue is that Apple doesn’t make parts available and actively goes after people who do, that’s pretty anti consumer.

There are authorised 3rd party repairers but in reality they are just Apple in another name and charge the same price for the same issue.

For example, remember the issues they had with screen flex cables? Apple wanted hundreds to fix that issue when in reality it was a few $ cable.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-macbook-pro-owners-cry-foul-6-problem-costs-600-to-fix/

In warranty repairs are great though, because they replace whole assemblies and your device often comes back better than it left. Other devices like iPads they just give you a factory refurb one back in mint condition.

Soldato
Apple doesn’t actively go after third party repairers - only those who claim to use authentic parts.
Your other points are legit but also non exclusive - it’s an industry thing.
The cable thing you cite - part of the reason cables were integrated and inventory simplified is because most consumers kick off about being with out their Mac for 5-7 days, it’s speeding up TaT to appease the masses

Soldato
I’m sure customers would kick off more if they realised there £600 repair could have been fixed for £6 though.

I don’t agree that it is industry wide, you can get parts for other phones/laptops far more easily. Apple takes it way further by hard coding certain components to the device so you can’t even break a damaged device for parts.

Apples control over the repair market is boarder line obsessive and it’s all about the £. Why repair something old when you can keep repair prices sky high and sell something new?

Of course that only applies to out of warranty but just look at what happened when they charged a reasonable (arguably a little too reasonable) price for battery replacements. The result was millions of more devices being kept operational instead of being ditched. Surely for a company who keeps bleating on about their environmental credentials as much as Apple should want to keep their existing devices operational for as long as is reasonably possible as that has a far lower environmental impact. That doesn’t really work when one of the aims of your company is to sell new devices and continue to fuel rabid consumerism.

Reasonable availability and prices for parts isn’t too much to ask. That and not needlessly coding parts to devices in the name of ‘privacy’ when in reality all it does is just lock out 3rd party/DIY repair.

Don’t get me wrong, I own a lot of Apple kit and I like their products but I can’t back them when it comes to 3rd party repair and it worries me that people do.

Associate
Evening

So 2 questions is Apple care worth getting ?

And i assume my son could plug an external mouse via usb to use in stead on the pad ?

Still debating the base unit 8/7/16/256 for homework and a bit of coding he's learning and streaming on twitch

Thanks

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Evening

So 2 questions is Apple care worth getting ?

And i assume my son could plug an external mouse via usb to use in stead on the pad ?

Still debating the base unit 8/7/16/256 for homework and a bit of coding he's learning and streaming on twitch

Thanks

That will be a solid machine with the 16GB RAM. Storage is fine unless he plans to store a lot of files locally.

You can use a dongle to connect a USB-A mouse, but may as well get a bluetooth mouse and free up a port.

This accessory is worth while as well, instead of buying separate dongles.

Anker USB C Hub for MacBook, PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port, 100W Power Delivery, 4K HDMI, USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, SD and microSD Card Reader https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YZ...i_fabc_dlC_m4NWFbSA1YEGK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
What is he streaming?

If it’s games, most aren’t mac compatible and a windows machine is a better option. 256 storage is very small if games are also a thing.

Associate
That will be a solid machine with the 16GB RAM. Storage is fine unless he plans to store a lot of files locally.

You can use a dongle to connect a USB-A mouse, but may as well get a bluetooth mouse and free up a port.

This accessory is worth while as well, instead of buying separate dongles.

Anker USB C Hub for MacBook, PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port, 100W Power Delivery, 4K HDMI, USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, SD and microSD Card Reader https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YZ...i_fabc_dlC_m4NWFbSA1YEGK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you will take a look not sure how of a difference for what he would use it for 16gig would bring to the party ?
Home work web browsing and unity coding ( basic coding)

What is he streaming?

If it’s games, most aren’t mac compatible and a windows machine is a better option. 256 storage is very small if games are also a thing.

Yeah he won't be playing games on it etc Think from what i can gather Twitch he can't speak ( or type chat ) or something when streaming games off if his xbox. He uses my very old 10 year old laptop atm to do work and coding and this streaming stuff ( again no game son that laptop either)

Just weighing up really to pay the base unit price £999 or add more ram , or go for the 8 core gpu . Never used Apple macs before ( have phone and love it ).

Same with adding Apple care is it really worth he £250 they ask ? Never had it with my phones too

Thank you

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What I’ve found is that when the system is pushed and memory is low it starts to get choppy. I presume because the memory is shared with the integrated GPU so it has a knock on effect on GPU performance.

Associate
What I’ve found is that when the system is pushed and memory is low it starts to get choppy. I presume because the memory is shared with the integrated GPU so it has a knock on effect on GPU performance.

Did read that on the Mac forum to be fair not sure how much he's going to push it for normal every day stuff to warrant it

Back
Top Bottom