Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters

And

And

Associate
I run Photoshop via Rosetta as I have some third-party plugins that aren't 'm1' yet. You can set it via 'get info' on the application.

Soldato
Just wondering how good the new M1 Macbook pros are. Got an old 2017 MacBook Pro and wondering if the new apple silicon makes it worth an upgrade?

They're great, with a caveat that this is a new chip and not all software is optimised for it. Emulation works amazing, but you will always find edge cases which don't, so it would depend on various variables. From a noise perspective, going back to an Intel MacBook which was noisy as anything would be impossible now.

Associate
They're great, with a caveat that this is a new chip and not all software is optimised for it. Emulation works amazing, but you will always find edge cases which don't, so it would depend on various variables. From a noise perspective, going back to an Intel MacBook which was noisy as anything would be impossible now.
That's my biggest concern with the new chips. I know that with time they'll become widely supported. I imagine Adobe is optimised, if not then I would be screwed. Would like to see some 3D rendering software utilise the new power to this machines.

Soldato
That's my biggest concern with the new chips. I know that with time they'll become widely supported. I imagine Adobe is optimised, if not then I would be screwed. Would like to see some 3D rendering software utilise the new power to this machines.

I don't use those types of Apps, but you can see what is optimised at: https://isapplesiliconready.com/for/m1

For what it's worth, Emulation under Rosetta 2 is fantastic the majority of the team, with applications in fact sometimes running faster under emulation than under native x86.

Associate
I don't use those types of Apps, but you can see what is optimised at: https://isapplesiliconready.com/for/m1

For what it's worth, Emulation under Rosetta 2 is fantastic the majority of the team, with applications in fact sometimes running faster under emulation than under native x86.
Cheers for the link that's quite helpful. Hopefully native support becomes a standard for more apps. Might wait for next years model for the added benefit of improved Apple silicon.

Associate
Thats good to hear! I might nip into the Apple Store tomorrow and have a look; torn between a MBA or a MBP but doesn't seem a lot between them!

Air seems to run a tiny bit slower on ye olde benchmarks, likely because of the lack of cooling fan. To be honest though, unless you’re a fan of the Touch Bar though, I’d always go Air over a Pro, but the 512GB.

Base Air has the 7 core gpu, with the 512GB storage version getting the 8 core. Pro has 8 core on all versions.

Man of Honour
Air seems to run a tiny bit slower on ye olde benchmarks, likely because of the lack of cooling fan. To be honest though, unless you’re a fan of the Touch Bar though, I’d always go Air over a Pro, but the 512GB.

Base Air has the 7 core gpu, with the 512GB storage version getting the 8 core. Pro has 8 core on all versions.

Never used the touchbar but never really looked at it and thought "I need that!"; Really just wanting a good laptop with good battery life, nice screen and more than capable of photo editing, coding and video conferencing; the Air seems to tick those boxes!

Soldato

Pro also has a larger battery, a faster charger included in the box and +100 nits on the screen brightness. Overall, they're useful but hardly compelling differences given the price difference between the two models.

Soldato
There isn't a big difference between the M1 Air and the old upper tier 13" Pro, which should be the same as an M1 Pro? I left them both side by side at the same volume for a while when I had both, pause one and continue on the other... and I can't really say I'd choose one over the other. They're louder on the Air at the same settings as the Pro and slightly brighter sound.

If you're indoors you can't really tell much between the screen brightness and I use my air at ~40% anyway.

The choice is literally touchbar, slightly larger battery and the case shape.

I've made my Air become warm to the touch a few times now. Nothing like what I had before and the silence... such an impressive machine.

Man of Honour
Agreed, I love the Air M1 (I have the base spec) and it still blows me away with how good it is. The battery life is extremely impressive.

Associate
So potentially an issue developing with my MBA.

When I bought it back in March, I could open it with one hand without any issue. Just this week I've noticed the hinge has become tighter. It's not tight but it is certainly tighter and as such, I now have to hold the base of the laptop down when I open it. That doesn't bother me too much but it's changed so much that you can actually see the screen flexing ever so slightly in the middle because of this change in how it opens. I'm sure it's also changed with how it closes. I now go to close the lid and and just before it fully closes, there's a bit of resistence and you have to push it a tad harder to fully close. These aren't massive issues but I'm worried they could turn into bigger problems later on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Back
Top Bottom