Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Linux is still in alpha testing on M1 Macs if you're thinking about installing it. MacOS is pretty controllable via the Terminal but it's not Linux. Having said that, one of my pals lives in Vi and he has a MBP.

Not so much intalling Linux, but using the machine like you would Linux.

Eg typing (sudo apt get update && apt get upgrade -y) in the Linux terminal would automatically update and install everything.

Soldato
I don't have any experience of using Terminal for upgrades but MacOS is pretty good at auto updating apps and the OS in the background so you don't have to actively check for upgrades especially if you let the machine sit in sleep mode.

Soldato
Linux is still in alpha testing on M1 Macs if you're thinking about installing it. MacOS is pretty controllable via the Terminal but it's not Linux. Having said that, one of my pals lives in Vi and he has a MBP.

It's more UNIX/BSD and is POSIX compatible and certified SUSv3 - saying it's 'pretty controllable' via the terminal, it's completely controllable akin to any UNIX/BSD System. Seeing as Vi was created for UNIX, I don't blame him :)

Man of Honour
Eg typing (sudo apt get update && apt get upgrade -y) in the Linux terminal would automatically update and install everything.
For one that doesn't do a distribution upgrade and two it only updates things installed via apt, so technically not everything.

It's not how macOS works. Nearly every Linux command is available however it's a desktop OS, updates are driven through Apple's Software Update, App Store and from the apps themselves if installed outside of the store. Sure, there will be command line ways around it but you probably can't (and shouldn't) operate it as a headless system.

Soldato
I think i’m going to take the plunge on my first macOS device, an m1 air. I have a gaming pc but i don’t really game anymore so just want something for coding, web browsing ect. Shall i get one now or are there going to be new airs out this year?

Hopefully i can get 400 ish for the pc , it has a 1070ti and a i7 3770k.

Soldato
I think i’m going to take the plunge on my first macOS device, an m1 air. I have a gaming pc but i don’t really game anymore so just want something for coding, web browsing ect. Shall i get one now or are there going to be new airs out this year?

Hopefully i can get 400 ish for the pc , it has a 1070ti and a i7 3770k.

This is what I have been thinking. But then I Thought about how much time I spend in a Chrome browser when on the PC - And as that is 90% of the time, I just stick with my Pixelbook and SSH into my Pi when I need something for Linux.

I would also like to get my first Mac, but unfortunately, breaking down my PC for parts hasn't yielded enough cash

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Seems i will need an adapter. Anyone got any recommendations for a hub? Needs to have either hdmi/display port, 2x normal usb and ethernet would be nice.

This one ticks all the boxes.

Anker [Upgraded] USB C Hub Adapter, 5-in-1 USB C Adapter with 4K USB C to HDMI, Ethernet Port, 3 USB 3.0 Ports, for MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, XPS, Pixelbook, and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X8ZLYLR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VG3T3FY2V62VWT0QKH2D

If you drop Ethernet you can get one like this:

Anker USB C Hub for MacBook, PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port, 100W Power Delivery, 4K HDMI, USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, SD and microSD Card Reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YZ48...abc_QMPPTYVHSNBEHXY045PC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Commissario
OP
Why would it be useless? I am interested in running office apps and chrome. I wanted to find out the current state of performance.
Because the number of apps that will work on ARM is about six :D

It may well be Windows but don't expect to be able to download any software that's written for Windows and expect it to run.

Associate
Because the number of apps that will work on ARM is about six :D

It may well be Windows but don't expect to be able to download any software that's written for Windows and expect it to run.

Office insider now has Office 64ARM which is meant to be running great, even with non-arm extensions.

I did have the preview of parallels that run on the M1, although it was slow, it run all the apps I needed. After doing a bit of reading, it seems V17 it much much faster and running well.

Back
Top Bottom