Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I ordered it on the 13th of April. Base specs seems to be in stock in some places but I wanted a custom build and then all the lockdown stuff happened in China.

Looking at the emails again I don't think I'll have it on Thursday, the Apple order page shows this Thursday but their dispatch email shows the 31st. What's a few days after waiting for so long? :cry:

A few more months and I'll have the 16" as well as my work laptop. Part of me is tempted to enrol my 14" to get all the certs and use it for work as my 15" i7 is a power hungry heat generating beast.

Yeah the base models don’t really work for me, I’d want 32GB of RAM (available on Base Studio but not Base MBP 14) - and at least 1TB of Storage (MBP fine but not on the Studio!) so its quite a long wait for the spec I’d ”want”

I could pick up a 14" base spec tomorrow from my nearest store. I wouldn't want any more than that.

Not going to though, I want the Studio before I consider changing the laptop.

I could maybe get by with 512GB SSD on the base Studio but it seems a bit stingy!

Man of Honour
Yeah the base models don’t really work for me, I’d want 32GB of RAM (available on Base Studio but not Base MBP 14) - and at least 1TB of Storage (MBP fine but not on the Studio!) so its quite a long wait for the spec I’d ”want”
Yeah I’ve gone for 10 core CPU with 32GB RAM and 1TB of storage.

Commissario
Base model 14" is showing available for store pickup today from the closest five Apple stores for me via the Apple website. Delivery is a different matter, it's showing August but you could walk into an Apple store and get one today.
I need to up memory and SSD size so very doubtful for me.

Man of Honour
I need to up memory and SSD size so very doubtful for me.
You could always check the refurb store, before I ordered mine I saw a decent spec one on there. I decided against it as my mate sorted me out with student discount so the refurb discount no longer made sense and I was prepared to wait.

Personally, as someone said to me when I ordered mine - order it now via Apple for delivery, they won't take full payment until it's shipped, only a pre-auth for a day or so. It may come early, it may not. Either way, you're free to find one elsewhere and cancel the order should you find one.

Commissario
You could always check the refurb store, before I ordered mine I saw a decent spec one on there. I decided against it as my mate sorted me out with student discount so the refurb discount no longer made sense and I was prepared to wait.

Personally, as someone said to me when I ordered mine - order it now via Apple for delivery, they won't take full payment until it's shipped, only a pre-auth for a day or so. It may come early, it may not. Either way, you're free to find one elsewhere and cancel the order should you find one.
Thanks - don't want to use the refurb store as it's for business. I don't necessarily need an upgrade but the i9 with 32gb is starting to struggle with these mem dump files :/

Commissario
Thanks - don't want to use the refurb store as it's for business.
I don't think it makes any difference, does it? It still counts as new, you still pay VAT on it and you still get the full year Applecare.

/edit - But I thought the 14" and 16" were still too new for the refurb store anyway

Man of Honour
I don't think it makes any difference, does it? It still counts as new, you still pay VAT on it and you still get the full year Applecare.

/edit - But I thought the 14" and 16" were still too new for the refurb store anyway
They’ve popped up, although I haven’t checked recently. They had a 14”, 10 core, 32GB, 1TB model in.

Man of Honour
Apparently it's due tomorrow. I'd be both happy and impressed, given that there have been a few issues with it passing through the UPS network. I also wouldn't be unsurprised if I don't get it before the Bank Holiday given the fact it's still in Stanford-le-Hope and not at my local distribution centre.

/petulant child

Commissario
Hope so @ChrisD. it only takes a trunker to move it from Stanford-le-Hope overnight and it’ll in your local depot and out for delivery tomorrow.

I was supposed to go and get one yesterday but my payment didn’t go through because the payment I’d made out of cycle to clear the balance on my credit card didn’t go through. So I didn’t go get it.
I could have just bought it on my debit card but I’d rather have that value purchase on a credit card with cashback. Now none are showing in stock again.

With my sensible hat on, I’m not annoyed. With my ‘I want new stuff’ hat on, I’m annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom