Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Hope so @ChrisD. it only takes a trunker to move it from Stanford-le-Hope overnight and it’ll in your local depot and out for delivery tomorrow.

I was supposed to go and get one yesterday but my payment didn’t go through because the payment I’d made out of cycle to clear the balance on my credit card didn’t go through. So I didn’t go get it.
I could have just bought it on my debit card but I’d rather have that value purchase on a credit card with cashback. Now none are showing in stock again.

With my sensible hat on, I’m not annoyed. With my ‘I want new stuff’ hat on, I’m annoyed.
Ah that's a shame.

It's now in transit from Stanford-le-Hope to my local depot, fingers crossed.

Man of Honour
:):):)

IMG-5553.jpg

Excuse the messy desk.

Soldato
How do people find the screen real estate on the 14"?

I've always been a laptop + screen kind of person, but honestly I use just the 14" a lot of the time now for work, and just plug in to the screen when I need to get something which requires a fair few things open at once, or when diagramming. Most of my work is web browser windows, terminals and writing code/documentation. I'm a big fan of using multiple virtual desktops and gestures.

:)

IMG-5553.jpg

Excuse the messy desk.
woop woop!

Man of Honour
Initial impressions after using it for a couple of hours compared to my M1 Air (base spec, so 8GB RAM).

• It feels significantly faster. I guess this must be due to the Air paging to disk constantly as I usually have a lot of apps open
  • The screen is sublime
  • Screen real estate much better, although I think I would be better off with a 16" it's perfectly workable when mobile in comparison to the Air
  • More ports! I usually have 3 USB-C devices connected (monitor, NIC, external HDD) and having the freedom of not relying on a USB-C dock is great. Plus, HDMI!
  • I like the new design. Not sure on the notch just yet
  • It's quite fat, and heavier. Something I'll get used to no doubt and I can live with it
Overall no real regrets and my mum now gets the M1 Air which is a massive upgrade to the Intel Mobile 2016 MacBook she's been using.

I usually back up to a NAS, but figured I'd use my external NVMe drive as it'd be quicker to restore from. It took less than 20 minutes, and probably 35 in total from opening it to doing the latest software update and subsequent TM restore to being on the desktop. Impressive stuff.

Soldato
:):):)

IMG-5553.jpg

Excuse the messy desk.
Congrats! Definitely the biggest transfer saga of the summer regardless of what happens :p

Since I got my 16 I think I’ve used my monitor twice, the MacBook display is just sublime. It’s a shame because I waited for months to buy the right monitor that would cover my MacBook but also for my gaming pc (Alienware 34 btw).
I bought a small adjustable riser and now use my MacBook on that when at my desk along with mouse and keyboard.

Man of Honour
I’ve got the 38” Alienware I use for gaming and both MacBooks. I’ve also got a Dell 27” 4K that I use from time to time. I’m not sure I could do my job without a second screen!

Commissario
It's quite fat, and heavier. Something I'll get used to no doubt and I can live with it
It's actually slightly shallower than the MBA but only by a small fraction but it looks taller because it's not wedge shaped.

The weight and size is what concerns me and partly why I wasn't too upset my payment was bounced. I was very happy with the form factor of my 12" MB and I've got used to the M1 MBA being larger and heavier but there comes a point when the size/weight becomes just that fraction too large. Be interested to know what you think after a few days of using it.

Man of Honour
I think I'll get used to it, my previous personal machine was an Intel 13" Pro.

Another slightly frustrating thing is the notch and menu bar when using it as a laptop. I'm one of those with lots and lots of menu bar items. I'll have to experiment with that.

Man of Honour
I'd completely forgotten it has a notch!
You don't really notice it, apart from the menu bar icons. Bartender allows you to have a little drop down for the icons which would ordinarily be hidden by the notch. I guess it's something I just need to get used to and on external screens it's not an issue.

Mobster
Soldato
You don't really notice it, apart from the menu bar icons. Bartender allows you to have a little drop down for the icons which would ordinarily be hidden by the notch. I guess it's something I just need to get used to and on external screens it's not an issue.

It's quite poorly implemented, if you have too many apps they just disappear in the menu bar

Back
Top Bottom