• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Associate
Last Sunday I enterd the Ryzen 5000 series owners club when I received my 5800x, but unfortunately I've had a very bad experience so far.
I updated the BIOS on my MSI B550 Carbon to the latest available version and used all default settings, but I've had horrible instability since installing it.
I can't play for more than 10 minutes before my system crashing, and I have also noticed fairly high temperatures (but this might be normal from what I'm reading online).

I think I'm going to send it back, but reading online it almost looks like everyone is having issues with this CPU.
Should I expect similar issues with a replacement, or is it just likely that I got a defective unit?

The rest of my system is:
Noctua NH-U12s
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio
Corsair RM850x PSU
16 GB DDR4 3600

Caporegime
Last Sunday I enterd the Ryzen 5000 series owners club when I received my 5800x, but unfortunately I've had a very bad experience so far.
I updated the BIOS on my MSI B550 Carbon to the latest available version and used all default settings, but I've had horrible instability since installing it.
I can't play for more than 10 minutes before my system crashing, and I have also noticed fairly high temperatures (but this might be normal from what I'm reading online).

I think I'm going to send it back, but reading online it almost looks like everyone is having issues with this CPU.
Should I expect similar issues with a replacement, or is it just likely that I got a defective unit?

The rest of my system is:
Noctua NH-U12s
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio
Corsair RM850x PSU
16 GB DDR4 3600
What do your Windows event logs say as to the reasons for the crashes? Look for consistent error messages and research them on Google to try and pinpoint the weakness. Could be a PSU problem.

Also, saying "very high CPU temperatures" without actually telling us the actual temperatures is not helpful for troubleshooting. Install HWINFO and get some data. Provide details, don't be vague.

Soldato
I've just bought a 5800X for £350 (Fair price?) and now wondering if I should have waited. Perhaps a bit of buyers remorse as I was planning on waiting to see if a XT variant was released later.

Caporegime
I've just bought a 5800X for £350 (Fair price?) and now wondering if I should have waited. Perhaps a bit of buyers remorse as I was planning on waiting to see if a XT variant was released later.
The XT variants of Zen2 are just overprice and slightly higher clocked versions of the X... why would you wanrt to wait for them for Zen3? :confused:

Soldato
So any pointers in getting the best from the chip? I've never even ran PBO on my 3600 which I'm upgrading from. I just plugged it in and away I went. Anything worth doing or checking for and is it worth using CTR 2.0?

Associate
What do your Windows event logs say as to the reasons for the crashes? Look for consistent error messages and research them on Google to try and pinpoint the weakness. Could be a PSU problem.

Also, saying "very high CPU temperatures" without actually telling us the actual temperatures is not helpful for troubleshooting. Install HWINFO and get some data. Provide details, don't be vague.
Yeah you're right, should have been more detailed about the temperatures :D
Completely idle (1 or 2% CPU utilization) I'm seeing around 45 C. During cinebench multicore it was at a constant 90.
Anyway, I think I'm seeing the events that happened around the crashes. There are quite a lot of these:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 14

Or other instances of the same kind of error, but with Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Soldato
Yeah you're right, should have been more detailed about the temperatures :D
Completely idle (1 or 2% CPU utilization) I'm seeing around 45 C. During cinebench multicore it was at a constant 90.
Anyway, I think I'm seeing the events that happened around the crashes. There are quite a lot of these:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 14

Or other instances of the same kind of error, but with Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Event 18 or 19 or both?

Soldato
Got around to fitting the 140 exhaust fan to the back of my case that I forgot to fit when I transferred to my new Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2 case tonight. Amazingly my idle / light usage temps dropped by about 8 degrees to 37. I had 3 x 140 fans at the front and a 360 radiator exhausting out the top of the case before fitting the rear exhaust tonight. As a result, boosted my highest cpu scores in R23, Firestrike & Timespy. Further evidence of how sensitive the 5800X is to temperatures for performance.

Caporegime
Got around to fitting the 140 exhaust fan to the back of my case that I forgot to fit when I transferred to my new Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2 case tonight. Amazingly my idle / light usage temps dropped by about 8 degrees to 37. I had 3 x 140 fans at the front and a 360 radiator exhausting out the top of the case before fitting the rear exhaust tonight. As a result, boosted my highest cpu scores in R23, Firestrike & Timespy. Further evidence of how sensitive the 5800X is to temperatures for performance.
Yes, good call, 2 at the front and one at the back is meant to be the best overall config and that's what I have. I am still likely going to still add a low powered one to the top just above the rear exhaust to vent out any air that gets trapped as I think it must be hard for a single rear fan to move all of the air out quickly and efficiently enough when I have a 5800x and 3090 dumping heat into the case.

Associate
https://ibb.co/ygBRRx8
ygBRRx8
That is a fair difference!
Wow amazing difference congrats! :D

Yeah really impressed, been readin this thread for ages seeing people getting wey higher so stumped for a new cooler.

Build pretty much finished now.... if you don't count the GPU nonsense :(

Back
Top Bottom