• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Associate
Guy hall I get 5600 or 5800?
I will be mainly using the pc for gaming and light video editing. I have also AMD RX 6800XT
I recommend 5800X.
If you can live with high temperatures and adjust your cooling not to go full rpm at every move.
It is measurably faster, and its price came down a lot since launch.

Soldato
No, ive only adjusted PPT if i am honest, think i lost about 100MHZ while on multicore, games still boosting easily to 4800 so i dont think ive lost any performance there, was hitting 80% on R23 before adjusting PPT
I found adjusting PPT down to 120 or less had a considerable reduction on temps. On the Wraith Prism cooler I was able to bring it down to 79 from 90+ running R23 so I would say if you're still getting the expected performance then it's all good. I also noticed around a 100 Mhz reduction on multicore following reducing PPT so your experience is in line with own, if that provides you with any reassurance. :)

Associate
My FPS doubled after installing the 5600x! A huge improvement on my 1600. Really impressed with the improvement, and that's before I've installed ny new 32gb 3600hz ram.

I too made a similar upgrade just a few days ago. Went from 1600x + Freezer33, C6H, 2x8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz CL16 to 5600x + Dark Rock 4, Asus Strix B550-F Gaming, 2x8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4000Mhz CL18. The diference is bigger than i suspected, my system is more responsive, tje boot-up is much faster, and the 5600x boosts like crazy. I didn't have much time so far, but i managed to get 4850Mhz for SC and 4700 for ML boost. My Cinebench R23 scores are 1595 SC and 11698 MC, for now at least.

image-2021-04-29-112127.png

Soldato
Upgraded to a 5600X recently and noticed idle temp spikes randomly jumping up and down, is this normal as i'm running air cooled and well ventilated?

Caporegime
Upgraded to a 5600X recently and noticed idle temp spikes randomly jumping up and down, is this normal as i'm running air cooled and well ventilated?

Does you BIOS have a fan curve thing? set the fans to idle until the CPU get to about 60 or 65c, that way you wont get this annoying ramping up and down of the fans.

Soldato
yes
Zen 3 are very quick to boost at any small background task. Some RGB solftware and game libraries (cough-Epic-cough) are notorious for keeping Zen3 from idling.

Perfect, thanks for the update.

Does you BIOS have a fan curve thing? set the fans to idle until the CPU get to about 60 or 65c, that way you wont get this annoying ramping up and down of the fans.

Not the fans? Talking about random temp spikes? PC is literally whisper quiet. Just curious about the temps.

Caporegime
Perfect, thanks for the update.

Not the fans? Talking about random temp spikes?

Ah ok, usually that's accompanied with fans wiring up and down, which is annoying and people regularly complain about that, the temperature spikes are completely normal, even when apparently idle something is always making requests of the CPU from the background, when that happens the CPU wakes up from idling straight in to a sprint and just as quickly goes back to sleep again. as @alec said stuff like RGB software can exaggerate this behaviour as that type software tends to make a lot of random requests of the CPU.

Soldato
Ah ok, usually that's accompanied with fans wiring up and down, which is annoying and people regularly complain about that, the temperature spikes are completely normal, even when apparently idle something is always making requests of the CPU from the background, when that happens the CPU wakes up from idling straight in to a sprint and just as quickly goes back to sleep again. as @alec said stuff like RGB software can exaggerate this behaviour as that type software tends to make a lot of random requests of the CPU.

Thanks for the update, I pretty much stay away from any bloatware if i can help it.

The only RGB in my system is on my RAM, keyboard and mouse which are driver-less etc.

Soldato
I eventually got my replacement 5800x from AMD and got it fitted on Friday.
Definitely a performance boost coming from a 3600. With no tinkering it appears each of my cores can easily hit 4850mhz

7ybi7Yz.jpg

Soldato
Replaced my Wraith Prism with a Noctua Black 12s.
5800x curve opt -18, 4850 single, 4650 all cores

Idles 30-35
Single Core and Gaming 55-60 (down from 70-75)
All core start at 70 slowly creeps up to 80 (slight improvement here)
Noise reduced.

:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does the 5600x run hot like the 5800x?

No.

Can someone lay some curve optimiser knowledge on me?

with a goal of not over locking and reducing temps should I set the pco only to say -10 all cores?

Its easy to do and yes it will reduce temps, set PBO to advanced, that will open the curve optimiser, set symbol to negative, set value 10, stress test, keep setting a higher value until its not stable, 12, 14....

Soldato
My 5800x boosts to 4849mhz but it hits 90c under stress tests. I have not overclocked it yet.

Its a very fast CPU thats for sure and I hope it should last a long time. I just need get water cooling sorted and I think I can control the temps.

Caporegime
My 5800x boosts to 4849mhz but it hits 90c under stress tests. I have not overclocked it yet.

Its a very fast CPU thats for sure and I hope it should last a long time. I just need get water cooling sorted and I think I can control the temps.
Use Ryzen Master and undervolt it (and underclock a little if needed), your temps will drop 10c or so without losing tangible performance. I have mine set at 4.5ghz at 1.2v and I have a small drop in stock single core performance but the same multi-threaded performance and my system is a lot quieter and cooler.

Back
Top Bottom