• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
5950x is just that hot, unfortunately

Oh it's not a problem if it is warmer than a 3900xt, I'm not really arsed if its 70~75 gaming when clockspeeds are still good.

I was just paranoid after getting my loop back together I hadn't seated the CPU block properly or something. I redid some of my runs yesterday as well opting to discard my right angle joining pieces and do double bends on the same stretch. Finally manned up to do that rather than take the easy way out lol, heatgun "expert" now. Added that 120mm rad to the back of my Lian Li O11 XL case as well just for a tiny bit more radiator volume.

Seen my 2080Ti temps drop a few degrees which is nice, probably due to extra rad. It dumps a lot of heat into the loop but as I said my 3900xt was on the same loop with only two rads and it ran cooler than this.

Time to take a look at the curve optimizer. I think it's under Advanced -> AMD overclocking rather than the "shortcut" menu/AI tweaker section of an ASUS bios? I couldn't see it earlier anyway. I'll do my reading first before going into the BIOS and just setting offsets/messing around.

Associate
Upgraded from a 3900XT to a 5950x and I even added another rad into my build (2x360 and 1x120 now, was just 2x360 before). Had to default load my bios settings but after putting everything back except CPU settings which most are on auto (I need to do homework on curve tweaking) I'm seeing idle temps of around 45 degrees. Bit disappointing as my 3900x could go down to 37~39 on idle.

When gaming as well I am seeing 70~75. 3900xt was around 60~65 gaming.

Either I've somehow made a mess of paste/seating the CPU waterblock, the 5950x really runs warmer than a 3900xt or my dialled in 3900xt BIOS settings/overclock was just that more efficient than default PBO 5950x.

I guess I'll try overclocking the 5950x and seeing if some undervolting/manual EDC/TDC/PPT settings cools things down a bit.

I did switch over to the Windows balanced power plan as I read not to use the installed Ryzen power plans on 5xxx, they were for last gen only.

You can disable pbo limits to drop the temps down a little.

Oh it's not a problem if it is warmer than a 3900xt, I'm not really arsed if its 70~75 gaming when clockspeeds are still good.

I was just paranoid after getting my loop back together I hadn't seated the CPU block properly or something. I redid some of my runs yesterday as well opting to discard my right angle joining pieces and do double bends in the same stretch. Finally manned up to do that rather than take the easy way out lol. Added that 120mm rad to the back of my Lian Li O11 XL case as well just for a tiny bit more radiator volume.

Seen my 2080Ti temps drop a few degrees which is nice, probably due to extra rad. It dumps a lot of heat into the loop but as I said my 3900xt was on the same loop with only two rads and it ran cooler than this.

Time to take a look at the curve optimizer. I think it's under Advanced -> AMD overclocking rather than the "shortcut" menu/AI tweaker section of an ASUS bios? I couldn't see it earlier anyway. I'll do my reading first before going into the BIOS and just setting offsets/messing around.

Yes you go to advanced > amd overclocking > pbo

Associate
You can disable pbo limits to drop the temps down a little.

Yes you go to advanced > amd overclocking > pbo

Thanks, yeah, just confirmed that googling some curve optimizer guides. I'll take a proper look in a few hours and begin trying to do a per core curve for maximum efficiency over the brute force all core undervolt.

I'll try and reign in some manual PBT/EDC/PPT settings too from the chip. I believe when I did that on my 3900xt it really helped both push some more juice out of it, but also keep temps in check.

But good riddance to the 3900xt even if I managed to snag a decent bin and seen some good temps with good performance. Already just looking at the 5950x on default bios settings it smokes it in lighter core workloads (like gaming).

Seems AMD truly fixed the biggest complaint with last gen Ryzen.

MFNMMlJ.png

HWINFO from some idling/desktop use.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, yeah, just confirmed that googling some curve optimizer guides. I'll take a proper look in a few hours and begin trying to do a per core curve for maximum efficiency over the brute force all core undervolt.

I'll try and reign in some manual PBT/EDC/PPT settings too from the chip. I believe when I did that on my 3900xt it really helped both push some more juice out of it, but also keep temps in check.

But good riddance to the 3900xt even if I managed to snag a decent bin and seen some good temps with good performance. Already just looking at the 5950x on default bios settings it smokes it in lighter core workloads (like gaming).

Seems AMD truly fixed the biggest complaint with last gen Ryzen.

MFNMMlJ.png

HWINFO from some idling/desktop use.

Worth a watch.

Soldato
Upgraded from a 3900XT to a 5950x and I even added another rad into my build (2x360 and 1x120 now, was just 2x360 before). Had to default load my bios settings but after putting everything back except CPU settings which most are on auto (I need to do homework on curve tweaking) I'm seeing idle temps of around 45 degrees. Bit disappointing as my 3900x could go down to 37~39 on idle.

When gaming as well I am seeing 70~75. 3900xt was around 60~65 gaming.

Either I've somehow made a mess of paste/seating the CPU waterblock, the 5950x really runs warmer than a 3900xt or my dialled in 3900xt BIOS settings/overclock was just that more efficient than default PBO 5950x.

I guess I'll try overclocking the 5950x and seeing if some undervolting/manual EDC/TDC/PPT settings cools things down a bit.

I did switch over to the Windows balanced power plan as I read not to use the installed Ryzen power plans on 5xxx, they were for last gen only.

Temps could be a little bit better than those but it's not far away from what is fairly normal For 5950x regardless of cooling setup.

Off the top of my head mine can idle down to 30c but it really depends what's running in the background as even the slightest load will get it into the 40s. Load is between 60c and 70c for games and 80c absolute max in cinebench r23

I do note these temps are with PBO enabled, I can't remember what my temps were at stock. I think my 3950x used to max out at like 50c when it was stock but I think the 5950x is hotter than the 3950x

Last edited:
Associate
Temps could be a little bit better than those but it's not far away from what is fairly normal For 5950x regardless of cooling setup.

Off the top of my head mine can idle down to 30c but it really depends what's running in the background as even the slightest load will get it into the 40s. Load is between 60c and 70c for games and 80c absolute max in cinebench r23

I do note these temps are with PBO enabled, I can't remember what my temps were at stock. I think my 3950x used to max out at like 50c when it was stock but I think the 5950x is hotter than the 3950x

Yeah, I'll be working on it later. Hoping I can knock a few degrees off on the basis that maybe default PBO and whatever my mobo is default pumping to the chip in terms of current is a bit too high for efficiency.

My chip seems decently binned (going on max boost under light loads), so I'm sure once I go through the long process of tuning it down to the very last drop of speed/undervolting, I'll have something more in line with the temps I'm seeing in here.

I do remember by 3900xt running a bit hot out of the box. Only after optimising it I brought the temps to where they were before the chip was taken out of my system. If the 5950x runs even hotter than the 3900xt I have my work cut out for me :D

My other headache is the dreaded dark magic RAM stability marathon. Mainly because this chip is now easily booting 1900FCLK for me. I could never do that on my 3900xt. Max I got was 1866/3733. 3800 might be a tall order for this RAM.

Associate
I wouldn't say the 5950X runs hot. Mine sits a degree or two cooler (9C over ambient at Windows desktop) than the 3900X that went before it. Max temp I've seen when benching is 38C over ambient.

Associate
I wouldn't say the 5950X runs hot. Mine sits a degree or two cooler (9C over ambient at Windows desktop) than the 3900X that went before it. Max temp I've seen when benching is 38C over ambient.

What are your idle temps?

Lowest I've seen on idle literally doing nothing is like 40.25~40.75 degrees. Coolant temp around 28 degrees. My 3900XT could go a bit lower than that.

41~45 degrees is more often seen when doing very light desktop tasks, outwith the random boost a bit higher when the CPU obviously spikes to like 5ghz for a second or two.

eFhJLr7.png

I know AIDA64 isn't the best stability test, but even running it pumps my 5950x a bit hotter than my 3900xt. IIRC my 3900xt was in the 70s. Low 80s here. Got the pump running on full speed just now to help bleed air.

Supposed to be doing work right now lol so when I get a chance to spend a few hours in the bios later I hope I can get temps down a bit and it's not a bad paste/CPU block sitting. Just applied my kryonaut as I did on my 3900xt and the Corsair waterblock is pretty simple for tightening down.

edit - On an unrelated note, flush ICUE 4.x down the toilet. Had to go back to 3.x due to how broken 4.x is. Have to redo all my profiles as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Alright, the fun begins. That video earlier was really informative, will be using it to narrow down a specific overclock/undervolt.

For a quick mess around though, I've just gone 280/235/235 on manual PBT/EDC/TDC settings, a +50mhz boost and -15 on all of the curve optimizer.

a6yKLVK.png

Two cores tapping 5.1ghz, now I'll do an hour stability test to see if this base is OK, before zoning in on a per core undervolt and finding out what PBT/EDC/TDC settings get me the best balance between clock speed and temperature.

^ like I said 9 degrees centigrade over my room ambient temperature. So under 30C when I first set it up and the weather was still cool.

I've got an XC7 cpu waterblock, so it might just be it's a bit average, I do need to reseat it or my setup will just run warmer than yours. I'll see how I get on with undervolting and what have you and if temps are reasonable enough, there is no way I'm stripping down this build again for the time being LOL.

Associate
Evening

I put together a system on Friday last week, parts include a 5950X, a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F motherboard and a Asus Strix 3090.

The CPU is cooled by a H100i Capellix.

It's been a bit odd and I'd appreciate some advice.

The motherboard BIOS is fully updated, XMP is enabled, PBO is disabled and every other BIOS setting is set to default.

In quite a few games the CPU is hitting 90 degrees Celsius, that's with the pump speed set to extreme and the fans set to balanced, at first I thought the AIO wasn't mounted properly but in the Cinebench multi core test it's hitting 66 degrees under full load, the Cinebench score is 23489.

I believe that it's hitting 90 degrees when just one core is being used and the games are running at a high frame rate (300+), short of lowering the frame rate is there anything that could possibly need changing in the BIOS? The CPU is performing under average compared to other 5950X's in Timespy so I'm a bit confused as to what is going on.

Associate
Evening

I put together a system on Friday last week, parts include a 5950X, a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F motherboard and a Asus Strix 3090.

The CPU is cooled by a H100i Capellix.

It's been a bit odd and I'd appreciate some advice.

The motherboard BIOS is fully updated, XMP is enabled, PBO is disabled and every other BIOS setting is set to default.

In quite a few games the CPU is hitting 90 degrees Celsius, that's with the pump speed set to extreme and the fans set to balanced, at first I thought the AIO wasn't mounted properly but in the Cinebench multi core test it's hitting 66 degrees under full load, the Cinebench score is 23489.

I believe that it's hitting 90 degrees when just one core is being used and the games are running at a high frame rate (300+), short of lowering the frame rate is there anything that could possibly need changing in the BIOS? The CPU is performing under average compared to other 5950X's in Timespy so I'm a bit confused as to what is going on.

lol, you sound a bit like me, though I was having a moan about auto PBO hitting 70~75 degrees in gaming and that's with 3 rads.

I've just finished my stability testing from above and I think things are a little cooler. That's with a -15 all core curve set. I think on light loads, like gaming, this chip just loves to draw in as much current/power as it can and boost as high as possible. Diminishing returns at the top end and sometimes the chip is probably getting fed more than it even needs. Which leads to toasty temps.

While it's early tuning days for me my advice for you would be to do what I'm doing and try and undervolt/set some PBT/EDC/TDC limits. I have the same motherboard as you.

I'm going to guess you're using the fans that came with that AIO and they're good for radiators? I run QL120 fans which are lovely to look at but absolutely awful for radiators. I need to push 1000+RPM through them under loads for barely acceptable performance. That can also help lead to really poor temps.

Tempted to offload my 7 QL120 fans and buy 7 ML120 Pro, but that's for another day. They were "OK" with my 3900xt over the past year, at the cost of some noise.

Last edited:
Associate
lol, you sound a bit like me, though I was having a moan about auto PBO hitting 70~75 degrees in gaming and that's with 3 rads.

I've just finished my stability testing from above and I think things are a little cooler. That's with a -15 all core curve set. I think on light loads, like gaming, this chip just loves to draw in as much current/power as it can and boost as high as possible. Diminishing returns at the top end and sometimes the chip is probably getting fed more than it even needs. Which leads to toasty temps.

While it's early tuning days for me my advice for you would be to do what I'm doing and try and undervolt/set some PBT/EDC/TDC limits. I have the same motherboard as you.

I'm going to guess you're using the fans that came with that AIO and they're good for radiators? I run QL120 fans which are lovely to look at but absolutely awful for radiators. I need to push 1000+RPM through them under loads for barely acceptable performance. That can also help lead to really poor temps.

Tempted to offload my 7 QL120 fans and buy 7 ML120 Pro, but that's for another day. They were "OK" with my 3900xt over the past year, at the cost of some noise.

Yeah it's a hungry little beast, the AIO has ML 120 RGB fans, I think the ML fans are pretty good and I've used the non RGB versions before.

I'll try to undervolt at the weekend, can that be done via the custom curve optimiser?

Associate
Yeah it's a hungry little beast, the AIO has ML 120 RGB fans, I think the ML fans are pretty good and I've used the non RGB versions before.

I'll try to undervolt at the weekend, can that be done via the custom curve optimiser?

The ML fans are really good, in terms of Corsair RGB fans that still have good airflow. So I'd rule out your fans being an issue.

Yeah the curve optimiser is all about undervolting even though you can technically do a positive voltage offset.

Associate
Just built my new SFF build with a 5900x and a kraken X63 AIO.

Must say I’m really impressed with the temps, with PBO on auto I seem to be floating around 40-50c on idle and 75c in Warzone

Pump set to performance (2000/2200rpm and fans around 1250rpm)

iGfd4eK.jpg

Associate
My PBO was on auto, I think that is just within standard parameters, I set mine to motherboard which upped the watts and A for the various sections and all of a sudden my CPU suck down some proper juice.

CB23 went from 1616/25300 to 1680/30000

and now under sustained stressed load it holds ~4.6 all core and hits 90C at times with my weedy W/C setup but that's fine it'd rarely see that load :D

Can't wait to get this in my proper system and see what it'll actually do with good RAM and cooling

Back
Top Bottom