• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
i actually have 2 bios profiles ... 1 with the power limits on auto and the other set to the motherboard...
I actually see better single core performance when limits are on Auto ... and the multi-core is good enough for the games and running r23 like that, never goes pass the 57c. I'm using an Arctic Freezer II 420

Soldato
Mine is certainly a warm chip. I have it under a custom loop and still seeing temps of high 80's while running r23. when gaming high 70's, i did notice my voltage going upwards of 1.4 which was causing the temps. So i have limited mine now to 1.3 and it hasn't lost any performance.

I have been wondering if i have a good contact with the block so planning on re-seating it over the xmas holidays.
With you limiting your chip to 1.3v you won’t boost as high when your doing single threaded tasks

Soldato
Any getting overclocks like this? My 5950x is hitting 95c with a 360mm AIO using 1.3v 4.5ghz all core. Is this normal or low?

Caporegime
Ok my friends, as for the CPU not boosting as intended ... here's the deal ... you need to go to the task manager > details > CB r20

And there change the priority to ... normal, above normal or high ... Mine was below normal so it was not boosting properly.

Meanwhile, my 5950x with PBO & Curve Optimization ( still under work )

unknown.png

Impressive score! What CO settings are you using?

Associate
Any getting overclocks like this? My 5950x is hitting 95c with a 360mm AIO using 1.3v 4.5ghz all core. Is this normal or low?

1.3v all core / manual generates a considerable amount of heat compared to boost. I ran 1.3v 46 out of curiosity on my 5900x and temps shot up to 90deg straight away. With normal boost around 72deg. Did change my r20 score from 8k to 8.5k though. :D Cool to see as goes to show the difference dark hero DOC could make... if I had one.

Associate
Ok my friends, as for the CPU not boosting as intended ... here's the deal ... you need to go to the task manager > details > CB r20

And there change the priority to ... normal, above normal or high ... Mine was below normal so it was not boosting properly.

Oh now that's interesting... I wonder why? Will look into this myself. OTOH it doesn't seem to only be cinebench, the CPU-Z benchmark also didn't work properly, until I hit "stress test", and then after 10+ seconds it would kick in.

Something very fishy is going on here.

Associate
Impressive score! What CO settings are you using?

Well, first things first, use HWInfo to see which are your top 4 cores on each CCD.

On the first CCD I divided the cores as Strongest, Strong, and others

Strongest cores: Negative 12
Strong cores: Negative 16
Others: 24

On the 2nd CCD
Since the 2nd CCD is "weaker"

Strongest and strong cores: Negative 16
Others: 24

--

I set the boost to 100 and I'm trying to "maximize" this boost setting before going to 125.
My Power Limits are set to Motherboard
My Scalar is 10x

--

I have 2 bios profiles, one with Limits to the motherboard and the other to use Auto. Temps are in check on both but when I'm just gaming I use the Auto power limits.

I'm still testing.

I started by setting the first CCD ( strongest in my case ) to 4 and the second CCD cores to 12 ... then I started dropping and testing. I started by dropping the weakest CCD cores first where I found the 24. Then I went with the strong cores and finally the strongest.

--

And before you ask why 16, 12, 24 and not 15, 10, 25 ... i have this thing that I only use multiples of 4, maybe because I'm a product designer and 4 and 8 are multipliers that can be used cross-devices and get absolute values but that's a different topic lol :)

Last edited:
Associate

Reporting back - this doesn't help me when it's set to "normal" and at "above normal" things like task manager and HWMonitor start to experience issues and stop responding. Cores still mostly sitting at 547MHz though.
Something is definitely wrong here. I've noticed a few people on r/AMD with the same issue.

Associate
that was a reply to my own question, sorry ... it was my problem.
Please check the other topic where a 5800x owner had a similar problem and was a bios setting ( he updated the post today so it should be top in the list ).
Also, be sure that your mobo doesn't have the "slow mode" switch that you may be toggled by mistake. This is not common but it happened to me where my cores were not going above 800Mhz ... and after checking and checking i saw that the slow mode switch was "on". ( btw, I'm talking about an actual switch on the mobo )

Associate
that was a reply to my own question, sorry ... it was my problem.
Please check the other topic where a 5800x owner had a similar problem and was a bios setting ( he updated the post today so it should be top in the list ).
Also, be sure that your mobo doesn't have the "slow mode" switch that you may be toggled by mistake. This is not common but it happened to me where my cores were not going above 800Mhz ... and after checking and checking i saw that the slow mode switch was "on". ( btw, I'm talking about an actual switch on the mobo )

I would expect if "slow mode" was on it wouldn't behave normally when PBO is off. Also when PBO is on one or two core (and it jumps around constantly which ones) got at full speed (4.5GHz+)
I will check out the other thread.

It's not that important in the end, this is a massively impressive processor at stock settings.

Associate
Yes, indeed, sorry i didn't read your problem correctly and I was actually reacting to a problem I had and not making sure that the behaviour where similar to yours :) Working and replying to forums in between is a mess. :D

Back
Top Bottom