• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Caporegime
Picked up a 5950X for £400 which is a pretty decent deal but is an older stepping going by the date code. Not sure whether it's worth testing.

Can't see anything really conclusive about the B2 stepping being superior, just vague single sample tests.

Associate
Picked up a 5950X for £400 which is a pretty decent deal but is an older stepping going by the date code. Not sure whether it's worth testing.

Can't see anything really conclusive about the B2 stepping being superior, just vague single sample tests.
Nice deal, im basically waiting for OCuk to drop it a little more - then im buying one :)

Soldato
Anyone using a Noctua NH-D15 with their 5900x/5950x or other air cooler? How do you find the temps with air cooling?
I was using the single-fan version (D15S ?) with my 5900X for a while.
Stayed very cool at stock. I tinkered with PBO / Cinebench and found the cooler started struggling over about 185w. (24C ambient in a Pure Base 500DX)

Soldato
What cooler are you using now? I assume you have change it.
I moved my CPU's around so the 5900x is uninstalled right now. (Going into my wifes sim PC once I get another motherboard)

My 5950X was under a Corsair 115 280mm AIO and it was good up to about 210w in my Corsair 500D case.(airflow is just okay in that case)

Associate
Have recently upgraded to a 5950x from a 3950x (only messed with memory timings)

My main use is rendering 1080p videos, would it be worth me going down the PBO/Curve Optimizer route or a manual overclock? I never messed about with settings on the 3950x as temperatures were mid 70's on a 360mm aio at stock.

Only thing changed in BIOS atm is enabling DOCP and temps are sitting in the low 60's.

I'm guessing Ryzen Master and running the "start optimizing" all cores is best ran before doing anything?

Associate
Have recently upgraded to a 5950x from a 3950x (only messed with memory timings)

My main use is rendering 1080p videos, would it be worth me going down the PBO/Curve Optimizer route or a manual overclock? I never messed about with settings on the 3950x as temperatures were mid 70's on a 360mm aio at stock.

Only thing changed in BIOS atm is enabling DOCP and temps are sitting in the low 60's.

I'm guessing Ryzen Master and running the "start optimizing" all cores is best ran before doing anything?
PBO + Curve Optimiser FTW.

Associate
I have the 5800x and been thinking about upgrading to either the 5900x or 5950x. The pc is used for Photoshop and Premier Pro

Running 32g ram and rtx 2700

Worthwhile upgrade and if so much advantage of the 5950 over the 5900?

Caporegime
I have the 5800x and been thinking about upgrading to either the 5900x or 5950x. The pc is used for Photoshop and Premier Pro

Running 32g ram and rtx 2700

Worthwhile upgrade and if so much advantage of the 5950 over the 5900?

Isn't Adobe software notorious for only use one or two threads like something from 2003?

The extra cores are only going to be worth it if you actually use them :)

Caporegime
Isn't Adobe software notorious for only use one or two threads like something from 2003?

The extra cores are only going to be worth it if you actually use them :)

They have steadily improved multithreading support. In some areas single threaded performance is still king though:

Caporegime
They have steadily improved multithreading support. In some areas single threaded performance is still king though:

Adobe Premiere Pro

5800X: 874 <>
5900X: 911 (+4%)
5950X: 997 (+14%)

Photoshop is even worse...

Associate

Do more cores make Photoshop faster?

Adobe has been making improvements in order to make more effective use of higher core count CPUs, but for now, having beyond ~8 cores is only going to give you a minimal increase in performance. In general, the architecture of the CPU is often more important than the raw number of cores.

Do more CPU cores make Premiere Pro faster?

To a certain extent, more cores should improve performance although this is more true for exporting than it is for live playback. However, Premiere Pro doesn't scale perfectly with higher core counts so extremely high core count systems such as dual Xeon workstations tend to do worse than a single CPU workstation due to their lower per-core performance.

In addition, keep in mind that scaling is not universal and can be different depending on whether you use an Intel or AMD processor. Because of this, we highly recommend that you look at straight benchmark performance for different CPUs rather than trying to pick a CPU based on core count (or any other specification) alone.

Quotes taken from Puget Systems

Soldato
Having used my new 5900X for a while, it's a significant improvement over my 3900x in VR - games which had poor performance like No Mans Sky and Fallout 4 VR now perform really well, hitting 90fps most of the time. I even find I can increase the Supersampling with little effect on the framerate.

I have tried the auto-curve optimiser's per core optimisation, but while the performance increase was significant, I get random reboots.
The optimiser put all cores at -22 which seems a bit suspicious that they're all set to the same value. I think I'll have to do some manual tweaking at some point.

I'd prefer if the temps were a little lower - it's going to 80 degrees regularly while gaming, but I understand these chips will boost as high as the thermal limit will allow. It's not reached 90 degrees at any point though, and there is the issue that my 3090 will be dumping quite a bit of heat into the case, which is not what you'll see when just doing CPU testing.

I did have a momentary twinge of regret that I didn't get a 3800X3D as that seems to have some huge advantages in some games, but the performance of the 5900X is definitely good enough for my use case.

Back
Top Bottom