• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
Just bought a 5900X! I was going to go for a 5700X to replace my 2700 but at the new 5900X O/C price i figured the extra £90 was worth it, This will keep me going for years!

Soldato
I've not installed my 5900x yet - I intend to do that tomorrow when I've got an uninterrupted block of time. I've been unable to find a reliable way to check what stepping the CPU is from the codes on the lid. CPU-Z seems to be the only reliable way.

Soldato
Just got my 5900x up and running and it is indeed a stepping 2.

How I hate that Thermal Grizzly paste, despite reviewers calling it one of the best. It never spreads properly. I couldn't get an even spread so I just had to hope the heatsink pressure and processor heat will even it out.

Initial temps seem ok. I ran a burn test and it didn't exceed 67 degrees with the case side off.

Soldato
Just got my 5900x up and running and it is indeed a stepping 2.

How I hate that Thermal Grizzly paste, despite reviewers calling it one of the best. It never spreads properly. I couldn't get an even spread so I just had to hope the heatsink pressure and processor heat will even it out.

Initial temps seem ok. I ran a burn test and it didn't exceed 67 degrees with the case side off.

You ain't the only one with difficulty spreading it , they make it look so easy in the videos :cry: I tried the X method but I get OCD not knowing if it fully spreaded so I have to do manually spread it :o

What makes it slightly easier is to heat up the tube well using hair dryer

Soldato
You ain't the only one with difficulty spreading it , they make it look so easy in the videos :cry:

What makes it slightly easier is to heat up the tube well using hair dryer

I heated it up in a cup of hot water, and it was pretty gooey but it just wouldn't spread evenly. However, looking at the various core temps under load they're all identical so it seems to have spread ok.

Just been running some tests, the 3D Mark CPU tests shows it boosting up to 4939Mhz, which is astonishingly fast compared to my 3900X which I could barely get 4200 out of. :eek:. CPU temp never exceeded 77 degrees.

Previous CPU score was 747 to 8814, new CPU is 973-10360.

In Cinebench 20 the old multicore score was 7123, single core 498, new 8146, and 617, so the single core boost is excellent.

Soldato
I heated it up in a cup of hot water, and it was pretty gooey but it just wouldn't spread evenly. However, looking at the various core temps under load they're all identical so it seems to have spread ok.

Just been running some tests, the 3D Mark CPU tests shows it boosting up to 4939Mhz, which is astonishingly fast compared to my 3900X which I could barely get 4200 out of. :eek:. CPU temp never exceeded 77 degrees.

Previous CPU score was 747 to 8814, new CPU is 973-10360.

In Cinebench 20 the old multicore score was 7123, single core 498, new 8146, and 617, so the single core boost is excellent.

Mine with running stress tests CPU gets to 64c haven't ran it recently probably be higher now with the warmer weather that's with 360 aio z73

You can look into pbo got mine boosting to 5ghz :) with yours being stepping 2 might get better results

Soldato
Going to pull the trigger on a 5900X this week I think. Was eyeing up the X3D but at 1440P ultrawide, the difference should be negligible in games, but bigger in productivity (in favour of the 5900X).

Did you get yours from OcUK @Ravenger ?

Yep, got mine from OCUK.

I have been running a 3900X since it came out, and that has been amazing for productivity, especially video conversion. Hoping the 5900X will improve on that somewhat.

Soldato
Hmm, I think my temps are a little high. Getting into mid 70's while gaming. Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler. However I am running in a very quiet fan profile so maybe it's ok. I don't really fancy having to take the GPU out and the cooler off (which involves removing a fan) to re-paste!

It's not hitting the thermal limits though, so good enough for now.

Noticed some definite improvements in VR games. Noticably smoother and able to sustain 90fps more often in demanding games.
Skyrim VR pegged one of the cores at 97% which seemed a bit weird, but it definitely felt smoother, but it's heavily modded so it has some very poor performance in places anyway.
No Mans Sky VR seems massively smoother. I noticed the game was running better anyway since the last patch, but this really seems much better.

Associate
Hmm, I think my temps are a little high. Getting into mid 70's while gaming.

If you're doing VR with a 3090 and only getting mid 70s on a 12/16 core cpu, I would argue that your temps are a litle low. Not even joking. I have a 5950x and a 3070. I can hit 68c playing Elden Ring. I can idle at 25c and about 65c in Cinebench all core so nothing wrong with the cpu cooling. The extra heat these GPUs put into the case is so hard for an air cooler.

The days of like < 50c in gaming is over. 65+ is the new norm especially if the rumors of 4000 series being 500w+ cards is true.

Soldato
My 3090 runs cooler than the CPU funnily enough, as I've undervolted it.

I'm running a quiet fan profile so my PC barely makes any noise, even under full load. I could undoubtedly get the temps lower if I ran with an aggressive CPU fan profile.

I also found that I'd selected the high performance Ryzen power profile so I was seeing higher idle temps than necessary. Running on balanced and it's running about 35-40 degrees during idle/web browsing, so I think the temps are now ok.

Associate
Very quick one, I'm running my ram at the below speeds.

Would gaming benefit from running at 3733 at tighter timings? I can run at 14-14-14 or is higher frequency better or is the difference minimal?

I always read the Ryzen benefited from tighter timings, but at what point? Is 36000MHz at extremely tight better than 3800MHz at relatively tight? Is 16 even considered tight timings at 3800MHz? I don't know.

Would appreciate some input.

Associate
Got a 5900x incoming from the MM. Paid 270 quid for it and if I can get around 140 for the 3700x, that's a 130 quid net spend to get to 12 cores. Couple that with selling my 2080 for 490 quid a few months ago and snagging a 3080 FE, I'll have gone from 3700x + 2080 to 5900x + 3080 for around 290-300 quid.

Love the MM.

Associate
Didn't really mean to take the step just yet from my rather potent Ryzen 5 3600 (2nd best 3600 in the Cinebench 20 thread with 4074pts@4525MHz) that I have kept at an all core 4300MHz since june 2020. But then came Easter, and I ran into an offer I couldn't refuse and got myself a 5900x.

I have read through this thread and have come to understand that the 5900x is a completely different animal to tame and I also understand that I won't achieve any miracles under my current conditions (cheap MB, air cooling and not the best RAM you can get).

I also understand that everyone's goals are a bit different, and for me that goal is to achieve a decent all core clock that I can run for longer periods of time while at the same time keeping temps under control (my 3600 has been known to do quite long runs with Handbrake). For the 3600 I got where I wanted by first doing some testing of Voltages and speeds in Ryzen Master and Cinebench and then translating these into bios where I set a fixed max clock with an VCore offset. (my primary OS is Linux Mint, so anything I set has to be set in bios)

So - with all that rambling out of my system... If I want to mimic a similar setup as the one I had with my 3600, what would be the best way to go about doing that? And what kind of clocks can I hope for (if I intend to run something all core over a longer period of time)? Would 4300MHz or 4400MHz be plausible? (or more?)

In other words - I don't really need (nor want) a CPU where one core shoots up to 5GHz pulling 1.5V once in a while... I'm more interested in multi core at moderate voltages (the lower the better obviously) than single core performance.

My current set up - apart from the 5900x - is:
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Dark Rock TF
4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz

Thanks in advance (and apologies if my lingo with regards to terminology is off),
/gosa

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom