• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
Not to fussed about that. Does it make any difference if I just game?
Direct storage is coming soon and will begin to be implemented into games. So a gen 4 M2 drive is more of a future proof option for you. And they don't cost a whole lot more than gen 3 now. So you want to be looking at b550 boards. You'll get one gen4 m.2 off the CPU and the 2nd is off the chipset and gen 3.

Soldato
Direct storage is coming soon and will begin to be implemented into games. So a gen 4 M2 drive is more of a future proof option for you. And they don't cost a whole lot more than gen 3 now. So you want to be looking at b550 boards. You'll get one gen4 m.2 off the CPU and the 2nd is off the chipset and gen 3.

Ah, knew nothing about this. I've been out of the loop for a long time. wife, kids, work getting in the way :D and I've not had a PC for 3 years.

Is there anything that you would recommend that will do the job but also usually sells at a good price?

Associate
ATX. No budget. Cheaper the better. I just want something that will run it really.
Quality power delivery without a crazy price tag. There's a b grade for £120 too. Or if you wanted sub £100......

My son uses this board with his 3700x.

Soldato
Quality power delivery without a crazy price tag. There's a b grade for £120 too. Or if you wanted sub £100......

My son uses this board with his 3700x.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably grab the cheaper one if it will do the job.

Associate
I know you said ATX, but thought I'd chip in anyway... I'm currently on the Gigabyte B450 DS3H with the 5900x and even though it probably don't have as many bells and whistles as more expensive options but it was good enough when it helped me placing the R5 3600 as - was it 2nd or 3rd - don't remember - 3600 in the multithread Cinebench benchmark thread here.

Currently looking at "upgrading" to the B550M DS3H for my 5900x so I have a mb for my good ol 3600.as well...

Soldato
Would a tomahawk max 2 do the job for a 5900x

Thing is. I found someone selling a 5990x cheap as chips. Now I'm picking it up from there house so if there is something wrong it's going back. But wanted to pick up a cheap board just to test it. Then I was thinking of selling it and getting maybe be a 5800x or even just disabling some core if that can be done. Want need all them core or the beat to go with it.

Associate
Would a tomahawk max 2 do the job for a 5900x

Thing is. I found someone selling a 5990x cheap as chips. Now I'm picking it up from there house so if there is something wrong it's going back. But wanted to pick up a cheap board just to test it. Then I was thinking of selling it and getting maybe be a 5800x or even just disabling some core if that can be done. Want need all them core or the beat to go with it.
A 5900x uses no more power out of the box than a 2700x. 12nm to 7nm power savings. 4 cores within the same power. A 5950x is better binned silicon so 16 cores at the same power. Are you planning on just running the CPU at our of the box settings?

Associate
Yeah I'll run it at stock.
Curve optimiser might be an option if you wanted to run it as lean as possible. Ryzen master has it built in to save hours of manual testing. It tests all the cores over almost 2 hours and sets them at less voltage to run cooler at stock speeds. Which cooler where you planning on using?

Soldato
Curve optimiser might be an option if you wanted to run it as lean as possible. Ryzen master has it built in to save hours of manual testing. It tests all the cores over almost 2 hours and sets them at less voltage to run cooler at stock speeds. Which cooler where you planning on using?

It will be on water eventually. But will a stock cooler be ok for testing? Once I know the chip is good, I'll then look at either selling and downgrading it. Or I'll put it on water and get a better board. If all is well it will be for my son's birthday. I have a 12700k thats ready to build:D

Associate
Soldato
Associate
If I knew this CPU was good I would probably buy that. But I've found a b450 tomahawk max 2 for £40 so if that will do? It's not a big loss of i end up stuck with that or need to sell that on.

If you purely need budget right now, sure.

But if you want to keep what you're building for a few years, I'd try and squeeze PCIe 4.0 into the mix. NVMe 4.0 storage will be dropping in price a good bit in the coming years.

Then again, if you want something to get you up and running just now and don't mind buying another mobo in a year or something, that's fine as well.

Soldato
Curve optimiser might be an option if you wanted to run it as lean as possible. Ryzen master has it built in to save hours of manual testing. It tests all the cores over almost 2 hours and sets them at less voltage to run cooler at stock speeds.

Oh, if you don't mind, could you explain briefly how to do that ? Currently I simply manually lower the PPT (and nothing else) to curb my 5900X's appetite for pulling as much vcore as it can on 12 thread loads.

Back
Top Bottom