****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
Been thinking about it as EE have offered me an unlimited data offer. Currently with them and tested out what I could get and got this on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Defo beats my home 46/6mb VDSL

I'd buy a 5G router, grab a one month SIM only Unlimited SIM and try it out for a month and see if you actually need the speed, and if your 5G reliability is good. EE don't have truly unlimited data btw, it has a cap at around 600GB on consumer tariffs and 1TB on business, and sometimes the business tariffs work out cheaper, and you don't need to be a business to get one.

Associate
Hey all, I wonder if anyone is using Three 5g Home Broadband and has the same issue as me or any solutions:
It works absolutely fine on my laptop. However, when using on Firestick or PS5, they both say connected to wifi, but cannot use any services, e.g. Netflix, Prime and on PS5 it's connected too but I'm not allowed to sign into the Playstation Network. When I use my 5g hotspot from my phone I can use both no problem, so the issue is clearly the 5g home broadband router (Huewaei). Anyone had something similar or have a solution? Many thanks.

Caporegime
Hey all, I wonder if anyone is using Three 5g Home Broadband and has the same issue as me or any solutions:
It works absolutely fine on my laptop. However, when using on Firestick or PS5, they both say connected to wifi, but cannot use any services, e.g. Netflix, Prime and on PS5 it's connected too but I'm not allowed to sign into the Playstation Network. When I use my 5g hotspot from my phone I can use both no problem, so the issue is clearly the 5g home broadband router (Huewaei). Anyone had something similar or have a solution? Many thanks.

Are they being assigned IP address correctly? They show up properly in the router settings. DHCP mode on router? try connecting them to 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz on the router?

Soldato
I will be contributing to this thread from early July as I am moving apartments to Manchester.

Will be giving 5G a good whirl with the usual suspects and the Huawei 5G Cpe router.

Soldato
OP
Might sound strange, but what's your ping/speed you normally get?

I occasionally get an issue where my ping (normally 16ms) goes down to 6-8ms, and the upload speed disappears completely, and pretty much nothing works. A quick move of the router into one of the 3 locations within 2ft of each other normally sorts it. Ping goes back up to 16ms and the UL speed goes back to 3-10mbps from zero.

Caporegime
Oh jeez i hate Zyxel stuff, the first ISP we got in Sweden supplied them as their default router and back then the WIFI would pack up a few times a month
;p Im sure they are better now.

Soldato
Good luck! :D

Thank you! Well we're on to a winner here. Love the physical toggle switch to go from internal / external aerials. And it actually works! The GUI. Amazing. So feature rich and full of useful diagnostic information on your Cellular information. It's literally acronym overload. Lots of good logs by the looks of it as well showing WAN traffic, LAN traffic, Routing Table information and so on. So pleased to finally get the nitty gritty detail that the Huawei and TCL were lacking.

It is fast and responsive too and there are lots of options to tweak. I've been on about an hour but I'll no doubt come back for another pass and another as I tweak things. Nice and clear layout. And definitely what makes this a winner; Band selection! Amazing. I have literally been able to say what tower I want by limiting the bands. And because of that, a quick speed test has taken me from ~200Mbps to....

:cool:

Quick screenshot of some of the interface:

All hooked up to the Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi kit without issue.

That's enough for now. I'm off to enjoy my new found speed for a bit. :)

Soldato
My TalkTalk home broadband is about 50mbps which is exceptional around these parts, but I'd like better. I thought I had found the answer when I discovered Starlink, but that's beyond budget at the moment. This thread however, might have the solution for me. Thanks OP, I'll have to look into it.

Has anyone done this and linked their router/hub to an external antenna? I'm probably getting one fitted for my Helium hotspot anyway so another can't hurt right?

Man of Honour
And definitely what makes this a winner; Band selection! Amazing. I have literally been able to say what tower I want by limiting the bands. And because of that, a quick speed test has taken me from ~200Mbps to....

Very nice. How do you know where the towers are and which bands they're using? Are you going to try and external antenna or is this using one already?

Soldato
Very nice. How do you know where the towers are and which bands they're using? Are you going to try and external antenna or is this using one already?

Thanks! Erm so I think it was @Journey that told me what to do. So use cell mapper to see what towers are around you. You can click them to show cell IDs. To get your cell ID, just check your LTE router. Then it is just a case of tracking down which tower matches the cell ID number and there you go, you know which tower you are using. :) Cell mapper shows the bands the tower supports. So you may have one that does bands 1 and 3. And another that may do 7 and 20. If you disable bands 1 and 3, the Router will have to connect to the other tower. I have an external aerial on the roof which is directional. So I work out where the tower is on cell mapper, use Google Earth to then find it, and basically aim the aerial best I can in the relative direction. :)

Man of Honour
Thanks! Erm so I think it was @Journey that told me what to do. So use cell mapper to see what towers are around you. You can click them to show cell IDs. To get your cell ID, just check your LTE router. Then it is just a case of tracking down which tower matches the cell ID number and there you go, you know which tower you are using. :) Cell mapper shows the bands the tower supports. So you may have one that does bands 1 and 3. And another that may do 7 and 20. If you disable bands 1 and 3, the Router will have to connect to the other tower. I have an external aerial on the roof which is directional. So I work out where the tower is on cell mapper, use Google Earth to then find it, and basically aim the aerial best I can in the relative direction. :)
Interesting, thanks & nice set up :)

Soldato
Just installed my Huawei.

Vodafone 5G result is 300 meg down 30 up 28ms latency. Will try EE later in the week.

I am happy with that !

Soldato
@Besty does that mean the phone line is completely pointless now and the box can be taken off the wall? It's in an ugly position in our house so would love to take it off and plaster over it.

Soldato
@Besty does that mean the phone line is completely pointless now and the box can be taken off the wall? It's in an ugly position in our house so would love to take it off and plaster over it.

It's a good question, it depends on your own circumstances. In my building Sky wanted a 24 month triple-play contract for 16 mbit speed (lol!) however, I am in a new block and I have wired and wireless (300/300) built into the apartment for £50pm no contract which, quite cleverly, matches the 5G deal I can get via Vodafone, who run the nearest 5G mast.

If you are in a place where you can only get Sky/Bt/Talk Talk ADSL then theres no question about doing a switch to 5G imho.

If my circumstances were different, I would be running my internet via the 5G hub, no question. As it stands, I am taking it to my parents place to do some testing there as they live in a place where max ADSL speed is 4mbit but they live in a 5G area.

Back
Top Bottom