****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
Just moved place from a 100MB Virgin line, got 110-115Mb wired connection. The new address doesn't have fibre and all the normal providers were quoting 4-6Mb MAX SPEED!!! I would have really struggled with that.

So I got the Three 5G hub, the map showed my new place was just on the edge of 4/5g so wasn't certain I would get good speeds.

Plugged it in, full 5G signal on the LEDs - Speedtest 545Mb LOL I was blown away. I did it 4 times and the lowest I got was about 450Mb.

I have a question though, the two antenna sockets on the router, are they for improved WiFi or improved 5G?? I suspect Wifi but thought I would check..

Also if there are any tweaks in the firmware/special settings I can change for even better performance, my ears are open!

Sounding good! I think the antenna ports are for 5G as in for external antenna......

Have you tried much yet, as in streaming 4k/HDR Netflix and/or gaming yet?

Associate
Sounding good! I think the antenna ports are for 5G as in for external antenna......

Have you tried much yet, as in streaming 4k/HDR Netflix and/or gaming yet?

Not fully moved in yet, will be the weekend. I did quickly try downloading a large file via FTP and saw a download speed of about 35 Megabyte (I hate all the MB/mb haha). I was getting about 12.5/s download before.

However, I cancelled it and tried again and it would not even start the download. I will have a proper play the weekend and report back.

Oh cool, I may as well grab an antenna, it's only going to ensure the signal remains as strong as it can!

Thanks!

Associate
Ok everyone can stand down my 5G dream is dead....got my Three Sim and can't get any 5G at all on phone so clearly not a good sign for broadband..... might have been a reason they would not let me order it....

Soldato
Ok everyone can stand down my 5G dream is dead....got my Three Sim and can't get any 5G at all on phone so clearly not a good sign for broadband..... might have been a reason they would not let me order it....

You'll be wanting to take a walk with your phone, and have Cellmapper installed and setup then watching the signal to which mast you are connected to see if you are getting 5G as you get closer. It may be a setup issue as well if you aren't or a SIM problem. Lots or reasons before you write it off totally.

Associate
You'll be wanting to take a walk with your phone, and have Cellmapper installed and setup then watching the signal to which mast you are connected to see if you are getting 5G as you get closer. It may be a setup issue as well if you aren't or a SIM problem. Lots or reasons before you write it off totally.

I'm right on edge of coverage and Three does say it won't work so I will just test again in a couple of months.....but checking closer into town will be next step in my next attempt....

P.s Cellmapper is a good tip....

Soldato
I'm right on edge of coverage and Three does say it won't work so I will just test again in a couple of months.....but checking closer into town will be next step in my next attempt....

Three UK said I had no coverage and it was nowhere near me, when in fact I did, hence why I am offering you actual advice to see if it is a signal issue (or lack of) or another technical/setup problem.
f you don't want to investigate further then I understand, lots of people can't be bothered with anything more than plugging something in, and if it doesn't immediately work calling it a day, me on the other hand prefer to persevere and do some data gathering to determine where the issues are, and seeing if they can be solved. :)

Associate
Three UK said I had no coverage and it was nowhere near me, when in fact I did, hence why I am offering you actual advice to see if it is a signal issue (or lack of) or another technical/setup problem.
f you don't want to investigate further then I understand, lots of people can't be bothered with anything more than plugging something in, and if it doesn't immediately work calling it a day, me on the other hand prefer to persevere and do some data gathering to determine where the issues are, and seeing if they can be solved. :)

It is solid advice.....I have 3 kids a job and using my wife's 5g phone..... but at some point I will come back to this and update! Thanks for the info/advice....

Soldato
OP
It doesn't take long to work out the best position for the router tbh, first job is finding where your mast is - once you know this you know which side of the house to place the router. And then its basic rules like higher is better, and even 3ft in one direction can make a huge difference.

Depending how far you are away from the mast and how clear your line of sight is will determine what download speed you get.

Then of course you have to remember that upload is handled by 4g so you also need to take that into account when positioning the router.

Essentially, an hour with an extension reel and the phone app can give you up to several hundred Mbps extra speed.

Associate
Hi, does anybody know how to find the location of Vodafone masts please (UK) I want to check where the nearest one is in relation to a property I'm moving to, I've looked but can't find any info, cheers

Associate
Ok so I am moved in fully now. I am getting 550-600 Mbps with my phone on wifi (5g Mi 10 T light think its called)

However, using the supplied ethernet cable 0.5m or so into my PC por (2.5gb port) I am "only" getting 90-150 Mbps.

Does anyone know what up?

Soldato
Ok so I am moved in fully now. I am getting 550-600 Mbps with my phone on wifi (5g Mi 10 T light think its called)

However, using the supplied ethernet cable 0.5m or so into my PC por (2.5gb port) I am "only" getting 90-150 Mbps.

Does anyone know what up?
NIC drivers up-to-date? Tried a different ethernet cable maybes?

Associate
NIC drivers up-to-date? Tried a different ethernet cable maybes?

Switch out the cable just to be sure. Drivers appear to be older but downloading from Gigabyte did not seem to override the one Windows wanted. Then it occurred to me, I have PIA VPN on. I did a speed test again and got about 170Mbps, I turned it off and hooray I got about 550Mbps!!! It appears VPNs can not keep up with 5G at least not PIA anyway! Thanks

Soldato
Switch out the cable just to be sure. Drivers appear to be older but downloading from Gigabyte did not seem to override the one Windows wanted. Then it occurred to me, I have PIA VPN on. I did a speed test again and got about 170Mbps, I turned it off and hooray I got about 550Mbps!!! It appears VPNs can not keep up with 5G at least not PIA anyway! Thanks
Aye VPNs always take a chunk of speed. Sure I read with Nord, which I use, it can be like 20% of your total speed. Something like that anyways. :D

Caporegime
The new Wi-Fi 6 version of the MikroTik Chateau has been announced:

Associate
Have you tried switching PIA to use wireguard instead of OpenVPN?

Associate
Hello all - I have the ZTE MC801a and having a disconnect pretty much daily. It often seems to happen when downloading at full speed (I get 350mb down and about 15 up), usually a Steam download etc. I am using a Smarty sim as this is a Three device (the disconnects happen with a Three sim too)

Ive tried various things, resetting the device etc but nothing seems to stop it from wanting to disconnect. I can acess the device through the local address and it responds fine, but the internet will be down.

Is the router just a dud?

Back
Top Bottom