****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
People on this forum will buy hideous routers with antennas the size of a donkeys **** over looking into the security history of a vendor.
The onus shouldn't be on end users to validate the security of a product which is authorised to be sold in the UK, least of all one that is provided by a major ISP.

Man of Honour
My BIL has bought the Three 5G Router and where the router is he's getting 470 Meg.
He has a Three extender in his kitchen but the download is 18meg!!
Any advice on this?

He has got an ethernet cable from the router that goes behind the TV in his kitchen and that showed 85 Meg, I expected a lot more being cabled!!

Any advice appreciated

Soldato
My BIL has bought the Three 5G Router and where the router is he's getting 470 Meg.
He has a Three extender in his kitchen but the download is 18meg!!
Any advice on this?

He has got an ethernet cable from the router that goes behind the TV in his kitchen and that showed 85 Meg, I expected a lot more being cabled!!

Any advice appreciated
Is it a 1000mb router or 100mb router as the 85 mb by cable is probably close to correct if its 100mb? Also will the TV take more than 100mb?

Last edited:
Soldato
My broadband deal runs out soon and I am fancying a mobile broadband setup.

Although I don't have 5G coverage in my area I'd like one of those units that can flick between 4G and 5G as required - if they're any good of course.

Can anyone in this thread point me to the best place to get started? Any good deals going?

Man of Honour
Is it a 1000mb router or 100mb router as the 85 mb by cable is probably close to correct if its 100mb? Also will the TV take more than 100mb?

It's the one Three supply on their site.
We have now tried the router in the kitchen and we're getting 750meg on our phones, the Firestick in the kitchen via WiFi is now 350meg.
It's all about supplying the rest of the house with decent WiFi.
He has a T-Link extender but no idea the specs.
When the router was in the living room I connected to that extender in the kitchen and got 18 Meg download :(

Soldato
It's the one Three supply on their site.
We have now tried the router in the kitchen and we're getting 750meg on our phones, the Firestick in the kitchen via WiFi is now 350meg.
It's all about supplying the rest of the house with decent WiFi.
He has a T-Link extender but no idea the specs.
When the router was in the living room I connected to that extender in the kitchen and got 18 Meg download :(
Aye ditch the TP-Link WiFi extender. Not worth it. If you can't get a cable to the area you need, then perhaps mesh might help. Or perhaps powerline adapters might be worth a punt / cheaper alternative.

Soldato
Think I've found a decent deal with Three. It's cheaper than my home broadband, but only 4G for the moment so a risk.

Is it simple enough to situate the hub in the loft and fun an antenna to it for maximum signal?

Man of Honour
My BIL has bought an ethernet adapter for his Firestick and attached it directly to the Three 5G router by an ethernet cable.
He is only getting 50meg download which is better than WiFi but not the amount I was expecting.
His Firestick in the living room reached 350meg via WiFi so was expecting the cable to give a lot more!!

Any ideas?

Caporegime
What are they using a Fire Stick for where 50Mbps is a limitation? What generation hardware is it? I wouldn't be surprised if the I/O of some of the older devices weren't capable of doing any more.

Man of Honour
What are they using a Fire Stick for where 50Mbps is a limitation? What generation hardware is it? I wouldn't be surprised if the I/O of some of the older devices weren't capable of doing any more.

You're reading too much into it, of course 50 meg is OK for a Firestick.
It does 350meg on WiFi in the living room so why can't it do way more than 50meg on a cable?
Does something need turning on?

On my Virgin router I reach about 110meg on WiFi and 350meg on cable so why isn't his doing the same?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is it on a cable, or is it on a cable plugged into a powerline adaptor?

Back of the router directly to Firestick

Update
Tried an ethernet adapter in the back of my Firestick to Virgin router and the results:

WiFi - 170 meg
Cable - 90 meg

No idea what's going on.

Update again
Just found this basically WiFi is faster on a Firestick

The Ethernet on the Fire TV is only Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) so with overhead and all that, 70 Mbps is about what you should expect

Last edited:
Soldato
The company doing the install haven't done anything yet but she was given the greenlight for the gov funding to pay for the kit and install so i'm just wondering whether I should ask the company to fit 5G kit rather than 4G? Or is it going to be a case of that the 4G reliability, signal and speed is going to get even better so just stick to that (just had a look and 5G kit is quite a bit more costly than 4G).

Hi mate, is there a gov scheme to get 4g/5g internet for elderly people?

Soldato
No i sent it back and got a Poynting XPOL-1-5G V2 4x4 instead, I haven't set it up yet. I am going to take the router apart and install some ufl to sma connectors as the external antenna ports are crap. I got rid of the Bluespot as I realised I would need 2 of them so got the Poynting for a fraction more than what I paid for the Bluespot. Just gotta work out what each internal antenna does.

Did you end up doing this?

Associate
ok, i'm not in the UK, but have the same zte-router with a firmware crippled by the ISP.

has anyone tried updating the firmware manually? any success?

the instructions @ https://androidmtk.com/use-qpst-flash-tool seem kinda complex, but...

specifically, i need ddns & back-up. anyone know if these exist in stock?

Last edited:
Soldato
Found some info on the upcoming Zyxel NR7501. Interesting compared to the NR7101 it is now only 5 bands on CA for DL on 4G, compared to 7 bands. But it has the added benefit of 2 band CA on 5G which the NR7101 doesn't have. Looks like as well the antenna dBi is up from 10 to 12 on the NR7501. And then obviously the 2.5Gb POE port and the Sub-6 Ghz support. Tidy.

NR7501.jpg

NR7501-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom