****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Permabanned
Anyone using a separate router/WiFi 6 with the three 5G?
What do you mean?

I have Wifi-6 running on the Zyxel NR5103E, but I've actually got 1Gbps Ethernet cable connection directly to my device instead.

Still trying to find a solution for the random cutouts but I'll probably just have to hope enough other people have the issue as well and an auto firmware update is release in the near future.

Soldato
What do you mean?

I have Wifi-6 running on the Zyxel NR5103E, but I've actually got 1Gbps Ethernet cable connection directly to my device instead.

Still trying to find a solution for the random cutouts but I'll probably just have to hope enough other people have the issue as well and an auto firmware update is release in the near future.
A few people I know have 1gig Internet with different companies and all have bought new routers, can't think why other than extra ports?

I've got connection drops, erratic speeds and very poor upload speeds, although I have had the issues being fixed message for my postcode since I signed up in December!

Associate
I consistently get 20-30ms so I can cloud stream perfectly fine on it as well speeds of 200-300Mbps

My biggest issue is losing 5G connectivity twice a day requiring a router restart doesn't matter what bands or apn I turn off or switch too still a daily issue.
Wish I could lock onto cell ID's
20-30ms is not bad, I'm taking you're not living directly opposite mast, but this disconnects and router restart is enough for me to put a pass on this tech...

Permabanned
20-30ms is not bad, I'm taking you're not living directly opposite mast, but this disconnects and router restart is enough for me to put a pass on this tech...
On ispreview not everyone has this issue, but some customers do. After a restart it takes 2-3 min to go back to 5G but yeah it's annoying as the cut out times are random so I could be in a meeting or in a game when it decides to go awol.

I'm on the Three monthly rolling contract at £24 a month and for me it's worth it as I won't get any other service with speeds like this until 2026... so my options are this or a solid 30Mbps line instead I'd rather have 6-10x speed and deal with a couple of restarts on the daily. I haven't tried using my EE 5G phone sim in the router to see if it'd have the same issue, but for some people this also solved the issue for them.

A few people I know have 1gig Internet with different companies and all have bought new routers, can't think why other than extra ports?

I've got connection drops, erratic speeds and very poor upload speeds, although I have had the issues being fixed message for my postcode since I signed up in December!

Newer routers at a certain price point, handle multiple devices better than older routers but if you already had a capable one from say 2020 etc then it's really the wi-fi upgrades that will be most relevant if your phone or new laptop etc support them.

People have had better performing 5G with older Huawei's than the new Zyxels and vice versa... so nothing is a guarantee of superior performance.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yea 2-3 min restart is unacceptable for me, it will lead to ban in game -.-
You should try the monthly rolling contract and if you're not happy with the service you can get your money back no risk involved or worst case out 1 month's isp cost.

As I said some don't have this issue at all.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Might do that in April
It's worth at least trying :)

And the price is decent, I haven't actually raised the issue further as I think three's support is dreadful, so I'll just hope someone finds a solution for me on ispreview (I returned the 1st router I had from them) and the 2nd still suffers from the random cutouts. Something the updated firmware resolved for lots of people but not me.

Soldato
I got Zyxel NR5103E with unlocked with Smarty. I have to say this router not bad at all. But I hate the Hub too big and ugly with horrible to push nano sim in and out plus the power cable far too short. I agree with other's about restart 2/3 minutes is painful long wait before 5G come on. The most annoying when u find the best speed from 5G cellular ID it won't last long until it revert you to other cellular ID mast as I prefer the lock onto cell ID's but I do think Three won't allow this for some good reasonable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any recommendations for both a 4G and 5G router that will go in bridge mode? - I have a nice pfsense setup with vlans etc on, so I can't really go back to a basic router.
Maybe this one: China Unicom VN007+ 5G Modem Router will do bridge mode called "pass through"

Last edited:
Soldato
EE have been doing loads of work in and around my area lately and they've certainly improved things. I'm just over 4KM away as the crow flies, from the 5G enabled tower, with no real LOS. My speedtest pings always used to be around the 40ms mark +-5ms. But I'm now seeing 26-29ms. Which for the distance I think is a nice improvement. Speeds are also still awesome with the NR7101 mounted outside. Anywhere between 200-400 down and 60-80 up. Couldn't be happier. Although saying that I have just switched my mobile over to Three; I can't keep paying EE's prices for every device I have. :p And I'm still waiting on Zyxel to release the NR7501!

Soldato
EE have been doing loads of work in and around my area lately and they've certainly improved things. I'm just over 4KM away as the crow flies, from the 5G enabled tower, with no real LOS. My speedtest pings always used to be around the 40ms mark +-5ms. But I'm now seeing 26-29ms. Which for the distance I think is a nice improvement. Speeds are also still awesome with the NR7101 mounted outside. Anywhere between 200-400 down and 60-80 up. Couldn't be happier. Although saying that I have just switched my mobile over to Three; I can't keep paying EE's prices for every device I have. :p And I'm still waiting on Zyxel to release the NR7501!
Damn that's a lot of money for an aerial

Back
Top Bottom