****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
received my 3 5g hub today.

no matter what, i cant get it to receive 5g... My phone is fine

There is/was a bad batch of these around, thought it was fixed, not been able to connect to 5G. (Three NR5103E)

Check the firmware version if its on 10, leave it on overnight it should upgrade to version 12 of the firmware overnight, this fixed the issue for some but not all.
Hope it sorts itself out for you, long thread on the router here, including the issue you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Associate
Strange. And phone is same provider?
yes 3
Have you downloaded 3 app? It's great tool to find best signal
yes i have used that to know it was connected to 4g
There is/was a bad batch of these around, thought it was fixed, not been able to connect to 5G. (Three NR5103E)

Check the firmware version if its on 10, leave it on overnight it should upgrade to version 12 of the firmware overnight, this fixed the issue for some but not all.
Hope it sorts itself out for you, long thread on the router here, including the issue you are experiencing.

already on version 12
Make sure you untick auto 4G/5G and tick the box B1, B3, B20, N78 see what happen? If it leave on auto, it won't connected to 5G
managed to connect it. getting speeds of 1-2mbps....

tbf 3 does say outdoor coverage only around my area (but it let me order without issues)

Last edited:
Associate
Is there a way I can find out the maximum speeds in my area, I have full 5g coverage and am about 300 yards from the mast....?
Speedtest apps for 5g from your phone in an area of your house you actually use the service.

I found my router actually gave me better speeds and lower latency as you'd expect. But at least you get a rough idea of what you'll get.

But to be honest you won't know until you order a service. When I got my 5G router I was expecting half the speeds I ended up having. Aswell as 40ms latency instead of the 20 I would get, due to the discrepancy between phone and router

Soldato
Speedtest apps for 5g from your phone in an area of your house you actually use the service.

I found my router actually gave me better speeds and lower latency as you'd expect. But at least you get a rough idea of what you'll get.

But to be honest you won't know until you order a service. When I got my 5G router I was expecting half the speeds I ended up having. Aswell as 40ms latency instead of the 20 I would get, due to the discrepancy between phone and router
I've got 3 5g, had it for around 4 months but the max speed I've seen is 280mb and I love that but I'm wondering what the limit is and if I were to buy an outdoor antenna it would improve...?

The upload is 20mb which is pitiful.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got 3 5g, had it for around 4 months but the max speed I've seen is 280mb and I love that but I'm wondering what the limit is and if I were to buy an outdoor antenna it would improve...?

The upload is 20mb which is pitiful.
Outdoor antenna could improve speed and latency if you have a poor signal or one that fluctuates.

I have mine by the window upstairs and always get 4 and 5 bars of 5G signal with the internal antenna. I get speeds between 200-400. But I think that can also be based on congestion.

I know some people get double or more than what I get, but I guess they're in bigger cities or towns. I'm in a village.

Last edited:
Associate
Outdoor antenna could improve speed and latency if you have a poor signal or one that fluctuates.

I have mine by the window upstairs and always get 4 and 5 bars of 5G signal with the internal antenna. I get speeds between 200-400. But I think that can also be based on congestion.

I know some people get double or more than what I get, but I guess they're in bigger cities or towns. I'm in a village.
What's the difference in between your best signal indoors and outdoor antenna?

Associate
What's the difference in between your best signal indoors and outdoor antenna?
Speeds were the same for me and latency. I think I'm about a mile away from the mast in my village.

The difference is outdoor I always get 5 bars instead of it randomly going between 4 and 5 and less risk of it dropping the signal and connecting to a slower 4g signal.

I was told my connection was strong regardless over on ispreview so I just think 300-400Mbps is the limit for the deployment in my are. Not complaining yet as I don't think many others in my area are using it.

But I noticed 4G get worse over time. Same could happen here as its NSA 5G after all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at mobile options as my Virgin contract ends in July and don’t want to sign for another 18 months etc when noob maybe starting build at end of year for fibre.

I run my virgin in modem only mode, what devices do people recommend for modem only?

Teltonika RUT240?​

Had a looking at Smarty data, but understand CGNAT problems etc?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't bother with 5G for now. Don't like 5G NSA. I prefer 5G SA! I stick with EE / Vodafone 4G+ as I getting good speed 140 to 160Meg down / 50 to 70Meg up but three give me 450 to 550Meg down but poor upload 6 to 15Meg up (only from the windows or in the loft)

Associate
I've had my 5G broadband with Three for a few months now. I'll be moving house soon, and on their coverage map I see that my new place is in a very narrow strip of outdoor-only coverage, with indoor/outdoor and 4G-only coverage directly either side of my street. So it's safe to say I don't know how well my router will perform in my new gaff.

What are my options do you think if I can't get acceptable speeds? Do I really have to buy my way out of the contract (basically the entire cost of the £20 x 20 months or so left)? Could I sweet talk Three into letting me switch to a normal broadband package of theirs?

Soldato
I've had my 5G broadband with Three for a few months now. I'll be moving house soon, and on their coverage map I see that my new place is in a very narrow strip of outdoor-only coverage, with indoor/outdoor and 4G-only coverage directly either side of my street. So it's safe to say I don't know how well my router will perform in my new gaff.

What are my options do you think if I can't get acceptable speeds? Do I really have to buy my way out of the contract (basically the entire cost of the £20 x 20 months or so left)? Could I sweet talk Three into letting me switch to a normal broadband package of theirs?
Not sure but I understood that with any contract there is a 14 day cooling off period. So if you did take it out and it was rubbish within 14 days you are able to call and cancel. But if you read the T&C's it should say this.

Caporegime
They are already in a contract.

I'd say if you're moving to an area then it's hardly Three's fault if the reception is bad - it was fine until you did the thing that was nothing to do with Three (moving house). Your one angle could be to put the new address into the checker at www.threebroadband.co.uk and keep a screenshot of the result. If it says you can get 4G or 5G and says "great speeds" then keep a screenshot of the page, if you move and you're below 20Mb then you could make an argument to be released from the contract early. Three don't have any fixed line products so there's nothing they could move you to.

Associate
They are already in a contract.

I'd say if you're moving to an area then it's hardly Three's fault if the reception is bad - it was fine until you did the thing that was nothing to do with Three (moving house). Your one angle could be to put the new address into the checker at www.threebroadband.co.uk and keep a screenshot of the result. If it says you can get 4G or 5G and says "great speeds" then keep a screenshot of the page, if you move and you're below 20Mb then you could make an argument to be released from the contract early. Three don't have any fixed line products so there's nothing they could move you to.
Thanks, that’s more or less as I suspected. Hopefully it’ll be ok by a window.

Back
Top Bottom