****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
Ive been playing the new league in PoE the last few days and notice I do not get the regilar lag spikes when I switched the PoE server to Amsterdam. I was using London server before and the experience was not great.

I still have issues with my work VPN that I dont think will get resolve anytime soon.

6 month experience so far with 5g iD mobile (3 network) is great bar the work vpn issue which I think is work specific.

Soldato
Ive been playing the new league in PoE the last few days and notice I do not get the regilar lag spikes when I switched the PoE server to Amsterdam. I was using London server before and the experience was not great.

I still have issues with my work VPN that I dont think will get resolve anytime soon.

6 month experience so far with 5g iD mobile (3 network) is great bar the work vpn issue which I think is work specific.
Vpn issue on 3 network. Is it slow upload per chance?

Associate
Virgin up in a month so looking at my options, so iPhone with three sim, best way to find three download speeds for three broadband ?

Soldato
Virgin up in a month so looking at my options, so iPhone with three sim, best way to find three download speeds for three broadband ?

1 month rolling SIM to try it out , smarty also uses three , I did test smarty in my phone and same place where I would have the 5g router placed was getting around 200mb+ but having to buy 5g router which is £120 I decided just to take up virgin's offer of £24 250mb

Smarty was £16 unlimited data 1 month rolling

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Great downloasd speedcand latency, shame about the upload. Is sub 10 Mbps typical?
in my experience, yes, 5-8mbps upload is usually what i get
download is between 250mbps and 500mbps depending on time of day/night and whether the two schools that i live nearby are in session or not lol

Soldato
Great downloasd speedcand latency, shame about the upload. Is sub 10 Mbps typical?

It's area and user specific, there is no typical. Most 5G in the UK is still NSA rather than SA meaning it uses a 4G upload and hence the speeds being significantly less, and the latency not being as good as it could be.

I have set quite a number of routers up for people in various places, and I'd say (for Three at least) the average upload was in the 30-40Mbps range, but again it all depends on making the most of the location of the device, proximity to the masts/cells and how busy those cells are, and many, many other variables.

Man of Honour
It's area and user specific, there is no typical. Most 5G in the UK is still NSA rather than SA meaning it uses a 4G upload and hence the speeds being significantly less, and the latency not being as good as it could be.

I have set quite a number of routers up for people in various places, and I'd say (for Three at least) the average upload was in the 30-40Mbps range, but again it all depends on making the most of the location of the device, proximity to the masts/cells and how busy those cells are, and many, many other variables.
ah yes i just checked my settings and it is indeed 5g-nsa.

is there any way to force 5g-sa?

Soldato
ah yes i just checked my settings and it is indeed 5g-nsa.

is there any way to force 5g-sa?

Only Vodafone have an SA in the UK at the moment, and it isn't wide spread. Well technically O2 have some as well but they haven't actually disclosed how much coverage they have, it might just be one cell site in a few cities, so not really coverage. EE are supposed to be rolling out in H2 '24 and they have sites with n1, n3, n7, n28 and n78 currently deployed as NSA, so should have a great SA network once they flip the switch and enable NR CA for the 5G. Not sure about Three but I know they are doing a serious core upgrade that could delay things, but then again their network is pretty robust for NSA, I've seen just shy of 2Gbps down and 180Mbps up on a Pixel 8 Pro, so they are still making improvements on the current network it seems.

Soldato
I think it is related to slow upload but it's hard to confirm as there are times i get the same upload speed as my personal machines without vpn.

I also tried changing the APN similar to your previous post but I had no luck.
That's what I had my issue with. In the end they just said that VPNs are not supported and basically go elsewhere. I've gone back to EE and my uploads are working fine. So if it is that same thing, then there is nothing your place of work can do to sort sadly. The issue is with Three.

EDIT: This is me today using a VPN with EE.

3508430942649582-yZMDL6UI.png

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks Il check EE out. It looks like they have updated their coverage checker and I can see my area being 5g covered!
EE unlimited SIMO prices are higher though compared iD mobile but might be worth it if it fixes global protect vpn issue.

Associate
Even though @elrasho doesn't need it any more just in case anyone else does, this is my worst case peak time speed/ping on Three with a mast approximately 3km away. No fancy out door CPE or antenna.

PjqhY3L.png
Crazy speeds considering I'm 2km away and get about the same. Mostly empty fields between me and the mast too. Would you mind sharing your signal stats? I'm going to ask a friend come over and help walk around with the router outside to see if I can find a better spot.

Soldato
Crazy speeds considering I'm 2km away and get about the same. Mostly empty fields between me and the mast too. Would you mind sharing your signal stats? I'm going to ask a friend come over and help walk around with the router outside to see if I can find a better spot.

Sure obviously it varies but as of right now

4G
RSRQ -13.0dB
RSRP -83dBm
SINR 5dB

5G
RSRQ -11dB
RSRP -76dBm
SINR 10dB

Associate
Sure obviously it varies but as of right now

4G
RSRQ -13.0dB
RSRP -83dBm
SINR 5dB

5G
RSRQ -11dB
RSRP -76dBm
SINR 10dB

I'm with 3 too using their zyxel router.
I have almost identical RSRP and RSRQ as you but my SINR is at 22dB. The fastest download I have ever had was about 300mbps and it only happened once. Typically my speed is 150mbps down.

I have direct line of sight to the mast which is about 1.5 miles away.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm with 3 too using their zyxel router.
I have almost identical RSRP and RSRQ as you but my SINR is at 22dB. The fastest download I have ever had was about 300mbps and it only happened once. Typically my speed is 150mbps down.

I have direct line of sight to the mast which is about 1.5 miles away.

What bandwidth is on the cell you are connecting to? Is the modem doing CA correctly?

Back
Top Bottom