****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
I installed the VN007 last night. I haven't played with placement and settings a lot yet, but the early results are very promising.

17ms ping
312.82 Down
63.48 Up

The lower latency makes a real noticeable difference to the experience when browsing compared to the tethered phone.

* instructions were all in Chinese. But the web interface was English as default.
* The wifi is only AC standard.
* It initially couldn't get a 5g signal. Until I changed a DDL option to "5G NSA only".

Plan over the weekend is - work out the best placement.
Turn off it's wifi capabilities.
Ethernet cable to my asus router. Use that as the wireless access point for Wifi 6 and the option of adding another later for mesh.
That is, If that config works well and doesn't add (much) latency.

@sandys
@Journey

Just got mine, plugged it in and it worked right out of the box, no real improvement from using my galaxy as a router, just means I don't have to used my phone and I can set it up as a permanent installation, I did notice that it is about 50% of the performance of the S10 in 4G, so I guess it doesn't have the full completement of bands for threes improved 4G+ or is not doing the appropriate band aggregation.

Still works a treat for 5G at £160. I didn't need to change any settings it worked fine on the combo setting of sa/nsa/4g but obviously in this mode you can tell that data starts in 4G and then switches to 5G rather than 5 all the time.

Last edited:
Associate
I do get good 4G elsewhere in the house it is odd, perhaps just due to how different devices respond to signal.

EDIT - Looking into this a bit further it would seem at one location I get strong Band 1 the other I get band 20 on the phone but not on the VN007, perhaps this VN007 device like many Chinese import devices doesn't have Band L20, at least I've not see it use that yet on the stats page where has my phone does.

As mentioned 5G matches the phone and I get good 5G coverage so fine if that is your use case and 4G on other networks probably has full coverage, I'm just trying to figure out what this thing can and can't do as it is a nice little unit to take away on vacation etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got mine, plugged it in and it worked right out of the box, no real improvement from using my galaxy as a router, just means I don't have to used my phone and I can set it up as a permanent installation, I did notice that it is about 50% of the performance of the S10 in 4G, so I guess it doesn't have the full completement of bands for threes improved 4G+ or is not doing the appropriate band aggregation.

Still works a treat for 5G at £160. I didn't need to change any settings it worked fine on the combo setting of sa/nsa/4g but obviously in this mode you can tell that data starts in 4G and then switches to 5G rather than 5 all the time.

Good to hear it, and thanks for the update.

I had a play with with mine in different locations. In the conservatory was the best, which is quite open as you'd imagine with windows. I had to move it from there though as the wifi signal suffered a lot for some reason at that location.

So in my room now, with the Asus Wifi 6 router connected via ethernet and configured in access point mode. I turned off wifi on The VN itself.

Works pretty well for me. sub 20ms latency. 200-300mbs speeds down. Using the phone was much worse for latency when tethered. But I do want to have a go with the USB-C ethernet tethering you suggested when the phone can get the Android update.

Associate
I am seeing reduced latency to be fair, for me it is around the 22-24ms mark which is probably 4-5ms lower than I see on the phone on average.

Caporegime
What's the best deal for unlimited data right now? Doesn't need to be 5g either 4g is fine as the router will be 4g for now.

I don't want a deal where you have to send a bill off every month it's for parents who are retired and in their late 60's so just a normal deal with no need to do anything other than buy

Associate
What's the best deal for unlimited data right now? Doesn't need to be 5g either 4g is fine as the router will be 4g for now.

I don't want a deal where you have to send a bill off every month it's for parents who are retired and in their late 60's so just a normal deal with no need to do anything other than buy

a contract from three would seem to be one of the best assuming they have coverage, bought through quidco it is £16 a month, there is cashback after that from quidco of 74quid, which would obviously make it cheaper but even ignoring that £16 is pretty good, strangely the 16quid tariff is not on threes site, so you have to go through quidco to get it.

Soldato
OP
Update from me as I've now had Three 5G for nearly 3 months - still getting a pretty consistent 100-120mbps down and 2-10mbps up

I do have the occasional day where the upload is zero and the ping is around 10ms lower for some reason - a quick move of the router about 3ft normally sorts this out.

I am still tempted by an external antenna, I did a quick and dirty test a while back with the H112-370 sat on the outside of the window sill and instantly got double the speed and double the upload.

As for reliability, I work from home 4/5 days a week and use a VPN which has to be constantly connected, I make VOIP calls over the VPN, and have a RDP connection running separately - all work brilliantly.

Often have zoom calls and another remote connection going too.

Warzone on the PS5 is excellent too, no issues with lag or latency, so online gaming is fine too.

If I could have anything, I'd have a better upload speed as some days it can be as low as 2-3mbps, an external antenna should fix that as I'm sure it's using the 5G connection for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly am. :) And it's totally fine. I think I've been with EE now for my home router (phone SIM) 2-3 years.

Great, thanks! It's rather annoying that they've removed the unlimited data home broadband options.

EDIT: Apparently the phone SIMs have a 600GB/month FUP :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just tried the dirty "external" test and results are:

Inside:
104.24 down 3.09 up 17ms
104.06 down 3.75 up 17ms

Outside:
207.88 down 9.68 up 13ms
207.58 down 8.81 up 14ms

And a final one back inside:
106.71 down 2.92 up 23ms

That's with just the router placed on the windowsill outside.

The Poynting XPOL-1 V2 5G looks to be recommended, omnidirectional one - I only have one mast which I know the location of so probably would be better of with the the directional but that version is twice the price.

Soldato
That's with just the router placed on the windowsill outside.

The Poynting XPOL-1 V2 5G looks to be recommended, omnidirectional one - I only have one mast which I know the location of so probably would be better of with the the directional but that version is twice the price.

It is amazing the difference a window/frame can make to the speeds, especially if you are on the edge of good coverage.

The Poynting antennas seem to offer great value for money, even paying the extra for the better unidirectional one is probably worth it as your mast isn't going to uproots and leave anytime soon. There are a good number of 'used like new' ones on everyone's favourite online book retailer with decent reductions, you could buy one and try it to see how you get along. :)

Soldato
Well that sucks. 5 weeks I had my order in with the forest place, to get the new D-Link DWR-978 5G Router annnnd they've cancelled the order. Can't get a hold of it. :( Back to the waiting game for some alternative 5G Router stock that isn't a Huawei 5G CPE Pro.

Associate
Hi - don't know if this is the right place..... I currently use 3 5g wifi using a Huawei 5G CPE Pro (Balong 5000) router - I have to locate this some way down my garden to pick up a signal. I notice that when connecting to the router using a cat6 ethernet cable (either 3m or 100m), I get c. 80Mbps down. When connecting via my iPhone 12 and wifi i get c. 250Mbps. Before I daisy chain a set of wifi extenders across my garden, does anyone have any views why i get much better speeds when connected via wifi? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom