• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 6320/6420 Overclocking Thread***

Permabanned
bloodline76 said:
I am new to OCing.

I have a E6420 and currently have this up to 325x8 @stock Voltage.

Tried running at 375 and 350 but this doesnt boot.

What is my next course of action? Do I increase the voltage. I think it runs at about 1.3 something standard. Or do I lower the Multipler and raise the FSB?

Up the vcore a notch, +0.5v perhaps?

C64

C64

Soldato
Think i have a nice chip here 6420 currently doing tests at 3.6 ghz what should i try for 3.8 ghz?
3.8 wont boot at 1.50 cpu volt 1.44 mch 2.2 ddr2

Last edited:
Soldato
I just assembled my e6420 system as sig... followed the hardforum guide to overclocking a 965p board which is also relevant for P35. I have my e6420 @ 375*8 3ghz @ 1.35v in BIOS (a slight bump in vcore was recommended by the guide).

I haven't yet tested for stability using Orthos but so far seems stable and I hear these chips can often do 3ghz at stock voltage which would backup my feel that this is stable... I`ve run 3D Mark 06 and played a bit of CS:S without problem.

I know I need to run Orthos to make sure its stable but I`ve just gotta get round to it.

Update: I`ve run Orthos for 8 hours Orthos and its stable just running the 1 session of Orthos is this right - it says to run 2 sessions simultaneously to use both cores.

I tried 400*8 @ 1.35v in BIOS but Orthos failed after a few mins. I guess my chip won't do 3.2ghz on stock voltages or slightly above but I`m quite happy with 3ghz at the voltage I`m giving it. Its either that or its becuase of my memory its Crucial PC5300C5 which is already doing a good job @ 375/750mhz 5-5-5-20 I got 4 sticks too and its fine.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
It will do 400x8 =3.2ghz @ stock voltages all round orthos stable i'd say begin at 3.6 ghz and get a orthos stable and -60c under load temp stable overclock.

Associate
I've got my new rig running stable at 3ghz on stock volts.
Gonna try upping to 3.2ghz tonight.

Hopefully no added voltage will be needed as temps get high.

What is a safe load temp for these chips? Is 60C too high?

-------------------------------------------
Antec Solo
E6320 clocked to 3GHZ, running at 430 fsb
Ninja Scythe rev B
120mm Antec Tri Case Fan.

Associate
Might need to add a bit of voltage to your memory as well. To get my E6400 running at 3.6 I needed 2.1v for the memoery set in the bios which showed as 2.4v in asus suite and 1.4250v for the cpu which droppes to 1.4v - 1.395 under load in the asus suite and cpuz. I also increased all the other voltages in the bios by one notch. Took some time to find the stable OC. Temps under Orthos during an hour gave cpu 50-53c core0 45c core1 43c under speed fan, Asus suite gave the same cpu reading. TAT gives temps 55-58c under 100% stress for both cores but never do you have your rig under this kind of strain for 24/7. Not bad for an air cooled job. Using a Zalman CNPS9700. Going to leave an Orthos 8 hour test going while I'm off to work this afternoon.

Shame those E6420 were not out when I brought my cpu, the extra cache would be nice. Have fun guys and don't fry your fingers.

Associate
Hornchurch
Sounds like you need to read an overclocking guide ,but basically what you want to do to find the best speed is to increase the FSB in small steps,do a quick 5mins Orthos test & increase FSB again until it crashes in a quick 5min test of Orthos ,at that point you can either increase a voltage (just cpu or just mbrd) or lower the FSB & retest.Keep doing that until your rig can pass Orthos for 24hrs.
Btw if increasing a voltage makes no difference drop it to default & try a different voltage (say switching from vcore increases to northbridge increases)
Don't increase voltages too much & watch temps during testing.
Personally I wouldn't increase CPU vcore over 1.45v ,& preferably not over 1.4v ,depending upon your cooling.

An 8hr Orthos test is nowhere near enough nlel1975

[edit]Looks like I never reported what speed I got out of my E6420.
Whilst I managed to get my C2D rig upto 3.35GHz (at less than 1.35v vcore:)) in windows it wasn't stable ,turns out my MSI 650 mbrd isn't stable over 400MHz FSB.
So I've finally settled for 3.2GHz @1.3125v vcore & NBv @1.4v ,passed a 24hr Orthos test :) ,I haven't bothered with screenshots as I'm nowhere near the top end overclocks.But if people want s/shots then LMK.

Its a pitty my CPU is being held back by my mbrd but its still pretty quick & runs quite cool. :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah i worked it all out the other night got it running @ 3.0ghz now 35 degrees idle. Gona try out 3.2ghz later tonight.

clockss7.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom