• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
Just ran Aida64 mem bench myself as was curious, got this dialogue at the end:

Whilst the latency is higher, it doesn't translate to any meaningful difference in productivity benchmarks.
Agree about the ram ,the dialogue I also receive with my paid copy,new stuff and all.

Which memory sticks do you have?

It's interesting to note the much higher latency on Z690 with DDR4. If I run a lower/looser 3900Mhz C15-15-15-32 2T I get ~38ns.
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C17D-32GVKB

Well Ram is Dual Rank and I just posted that you can in fact do 4000Mhz in Gear 1 with Dual Rank Ram on some Z690 Motherboards. The BIOS are not perfect yet and some boards people are have problems with Dual Rank.
Yes needless to say here for you but of course you can get ~38ns on older platforums, on Z690 not likely at all but someone will post a bench under 40 and think there the king.
Also I am not even bothered to try to set Ram timings as they are useless to me and my computer. I PC game at 4K and running Ram with 100ns makes no difference.
Also too many people stuck on Ram timings especially the ones trying to trick people into buying better Ram for there PC gaming,posting PC game benchmarks at 1080p with lowest settings on RTX 3090 and 12900K.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Personally I'm going to forget about getting low latency RAM as have realised it's chasing a non-issue really. Instead I will add another 32GB as that's what will benefit me the most as my workloads are more and more utilising 25+ GB at times.

Associate
Just a word of warning..

I got a Firecuda 530 w/ Heatsink as I got tired of having too many drives.
The new asus Q-latch thing does not work on any NVME drives with the Q-Latch, and they haven't included any screws.
Keep this in mind if you are thinking of getting this combination :(

Soldato
Agree about the ram ,the dialogue I also receive with my paid copy,new stuff and all.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C17D-32GVKB

Well Ram is Dual Rank and I just posted that you can in fact do 4000Mhz in Gear 1 with Dual Rank Ram on some Z690 Motherboards. The BIOS are not perfect yet and some boards people are have problems with Dual Rank.
Yes needless to say here for you but of course you can get ~38ns on older platforums, on Z690 not likely at all but someone will post a bench under 40 and think there the king.
Also I am not even bothered to try to set Ram timings as they are useless to me and my computer. I PC game at 4K and running Ram with 100ns makes no difference.
Also too many people stuck on Ram timings especially the ones trying to trick people into buying better Ram for there PC gaming,posting PC game benchmarks at 1080p with lowest settings on RTX 3090 and 12900K.
Yes, pretty much spot on. I am one of those few people where lower RAM timings does benefit the programs I use though for most people, including gamers, the law of diminishing returns applies. People are suckered into buying ever faster RAM without really KNOWING exactly what the precise benefit will be to them over what they already may have. (Same for CPU's)

It is still interesting to note, that while technology advances not everything does. ;)

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes, pretty much spot on. I am one of those few people where lower RAM timings does benefit the programs I use though for most people, including gamers, the law of diminishing returns applies. People are suckered into buying ever faster RAM without really KNOWING exactly what the precise benefit will be to them over what they already may have. (Same for CPU's)

It is still interesting to note, that while technology advances not everything does. ;)

Remember all the rage for Ultra Low Latency memory back in the mid 00s?

Associate
5-2-Ghz-1900-14-13-13-1-T.png

12600K 5.2P cores 4.1 E cores 3800 14-13-13 1T.
5-2-Ghz-1900-14-13-13-1-T.png
https://i.postimg.cc/9fbjt4ZN/5-2-Ghz-1900-14-13-13-1-T.png

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting note, Gigabyte have updated their mobo page to show a RAM compatibility list: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-memsup

I note that in this listing my 32GB Corsair Vengeance kit of 2rx16 is not listed which probably explains why when I enable XMP it won't boot but all is well when I manually set the timings and frequency.

Anyways I have eyelined some 64GB kit whihc I will likely order shortly and the one I have on my saved basket is CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 @ £289 for the 64GB kit.

Also interesting to note that Gigabyte don't list most modules as compatible when occupying all 4 slots, only single slot or dual slot so that was interesting.

Soldato
Also interesting to note that Gigabyte don't list most modules as compatible when occupying all 4 slots, only single slot or dual slot so that was interesting.

Manufacturers do not have a wide range of RAM officially supported since they don't have time to test every possible kit, however 95% of the time if using DDR4 on a mature platform then you'll have no issues at all running at the rated speeds and timings. If you are going to buy new RAM there is far better available for a very similar cost in the 4x 16GB kits, not so much in the 2x 32GB options.

Soldato
Interesting note, Gigabyte have updated their mobo page to show a RAM compatibility list: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-memsup

I note that in this listing my 32GB Corsair Vengeance kit of 2rx16 is not listed which probably explains why when I enable XMP it won't boot but all is well when I manually set the timings and frequency.

Anyways I have eyelined some 64GB kit whihc I will likely order shortly and the one I have on my saved basket is CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 @ £289 for the 64GB kit.

Yeah I set my to XMP and booted fine but when I played COD MW it would crash to desktop, not sur if this is related but when i turned XMP off i played for 3 hours fine.

Soldato
Just a word of warning..

I got a Firecuda 530 w/ Heatsink as I got tired of having too many drives.
The new asus Q-latch thing does not work on any NVME drives with the Q-Latch, and they haven't included any screws.
Keep this in mind if you are thinking of getting this combination :(

I'm about to purchase an ASUS board and the Firecuda 530 (minus the heatsink). I've seen Jayztwocents just slot an M.2 straight into the Dark Hero board without issue, what where the problems you encountered?

Associate
I'm about to purchase an ASUS board and the Firecuda 530 (minus the heatsink). I've seen Jayztwocents just slot an M.2 straight into the Dark Hero board without issue, what where the problems you encountered?

You'll be fine without the heatsink, the EK heatsink does not allow the q-latch to actually hold the NVME drive together.
So if it is the standard one you'll be fine, I have a Samsung 980pro for the OS and that fit in without any issues.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Will an i7 12700K help with gaming over my i7 4790k? Or are games still mostly GPU limited?

Well I upgraded form an i7 6700K and the gaming performance with an RTX 2070 Super have improved somewhat. The 1% lows especially are sustained much better and as a result those minimum frames are consistently higher levelled out.

Associate

Today i helped my brothers 12.600k build in the Asus strix z690 board and we installed 3 different M.2 drives without heatsinks without issue and all are working just fine SN850 1tb Crucial P2 1tb samsung evo 500gb

other bits were LIan Li 240 AIO cooler
Corsair Ven 3600 RGB 4x 16gb
6 lian Li uni fans in white
Lian Li snow edition 011 mini case
Lian li 24 pin streamer cable

the cooler and fans was a right pig to sort with no markings on any of the cables splitters etc... would have been far easier if they had some kind of ID on them

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I'm just about to run Metro Exodus and RDR2 as those are games I have extended playtime on with the 6700K, that will give you a good idea of what to expect since the 4790k isn't far off that.

Back
Top Bottom