• HomePod mini - Yes

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Awesome. Was thinking of getting one of the ikea sonos speakers and hiding it above the kitchen units but a homepod mini is nice and small plus now my partner has recently got an iPhone she could use the apple magic it has

Associate
For 'normal' sized houses, even a single HomePod mini will fill a room with a decent volume for regular listening.

The full sized HomePods are much more bassy, and are ideal for much larger rooms or when you really need to bring the big party atmosphere.

In both cases, don't forget the benefits of stereo pairs.

Soldato
It's the small size that I like the most. Can tuck it away easily.

Annoyingly the Sonos Roam that they launched yesterday has thrown a spanner into the works as now it's tempting me to spend the extra £60 if it means having a speaker we can take out with us on bike rides and we already have a few Sonos speakers.

tough choice

Soldato
Crazy! I will be hunting down a few full sized ones I think to round out my setup at some point in the future.

At some point they’ll stop updating the software and the performance might end up buggy.

It’s a shame the wording of the announcement is quite clear that there’ll be no replacement product, or at least nothing that’s like the current form.

Associate
I would be willing to bet that they have a replacement audio system that matches or betters the feature set of the full HomePod in the future. Siri, ATV and HomeKit doesn’t make sense without it.

I think support will stay for a good while, since I’m sure the Airplay protocol will keep compatibility. Yes, the original HomePod uses an outdated chip and that’s probably what will limit software updates, but I don’t think it will suddenly disappear as an audio destination even in the next 10 years.

Associate
Such a shame.

I loved my HomePods, but I’ll be selling the remaining HomePod we have in the bedroom and picking up one of the new Sonos Roams-kills two birds with one stone with it being enough sound for the bedroom and portable to move into the bathroom/garden.

Soldato
Cancelling the Homepods is a bit of a Google move in that Apple tried something and it didn’t work so they got rid of the product rather than fixing the underlying problems.

In my mind, the Homepods nicely complement Apple’s music and TV products so perhaps they have something in the works. I am not hopeful.

Soldato
I'm really surprised by the decision to cancel the full size HomePod. I owned three since they where released and watched with every software release the product improve, yes it's not perfect but it's still a quality speaker especially in a stereo pair.

I would've loved to have seen an update with U1 and switching the A8 to a S series SoC like they used in the Mini.

Soldato
The price point is too high for the big one.

Compared to a £180 Sonos One, a £280 HomePod isn’t massively overpriced judged on sound quality alone. At the £200 price Homepods occasionally dropped to, they’re a pretty good buy. I can’t believe Apple couldn’t make £199 or £229 a permanent price and I’m sure they’d still make a profit. Unfortunately as a company they like to pursue their “famed” margins.

And yes, Siri is crap. Sometimes shockingly so.

Back
Top Bottom