Poll: *** The official Apple Vision Pro thread (it has an M2, an R1, loads of cameras, a whopping price tag and everything!) ***

Apple Vision Pro - Are you going to buy one?

• Total voters
Soldato
I used the MS hololens 2 for about a year for work. That was very expensive yet so underwhelming. Laggy, underpowered and the gesture control weren't responsive enough.. etc.

uc

I'm betting this Apple one is at least a 10x better experience.

Soldato
Not sure the negativity is justified.

If the device lives up to its claims, it’s a huge step up over the Quest Pro which is a $1k+tax device.

Sure it’s not for everyone and few people can realistically afford it but you have to admit, it looks great and if it lives up to the claims, frankly an order of magnitude better than anything on the market right now.

Do I want one? Hell yes! Would I buy one with my own money? No, it’s too rich for my blood but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad product (assuming it lives up to the claims).

I’d love to try one for a few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the commercial applications will be very interesting to see with the improved hardware and software integration. I'd certainly like a good go on one in the future, but to own?

Soldato
I used the MS hololens 2 for about a year for work. That was very expensive yet so underwhelming. Laggy, underpowered and the gesture control weren't responsive enough.. etc.

I'm betting this Apple one is at least a 10x better experience.

Out of interest, what did you use the Hololens for? On a day-to-day basis, how did it fit into your workflow?

I'm in the creative industry, and I can't see any benefit/application for these goggles over my current setup.

Never mind £3.5k worth of benefit. It just feels like an expensive toy at the moment.

Soldato
Do we need to get a pool going on how quickly someone will be filmed/caught using one of these while driving?

I’m going to say it will be less than a week. Some idiot will probably film themselves for YouTube.

Interestingly enough, I don’t think this would be covered by our specific mobile device driving rule but there is of course the catch all of driving without due care and attention.

Soldato
Do we need to get a pool going on how quickly someone will be filmed/caught using one of these while driving?

I’m going to say it will be less than a week. Some idiot will probably film themselves for YouTube.

Interestingly enough, I don’t think this would be covered by our specific mobile device driving rule but there is of course the catch all of driving without due care and attention.

I'm pretty sure we'll soon see people just walking around the street or in shops with one of these.

Soldato
If it takes off, in 10 years time it won't be any different than seeing people walk down the streets glued to their phones really.

Better yet, in 10 years you wear one yourself and it shows the 3D rendering of the other person's face instead of them wearing the thing :cry:

I loved my 3D TV, some films just look so so much better in 3D.

3D TVs (and cinemas) are just poor implementation of 3D. They force you to see a interlaced version full of artefacts at lower resolution. I never thought 3D movies were a gimmick, the implementation was just poor.

Last edited:
Associate
But will it work with a Windows PC? If not where are all the applications? My VR use is purely gaming, mainly flight simulation and car racing.

Commissario
OP
But will it work with a Windows PC? If not where are all the applications? My VR use is purely gaming, mainly flight simulation and car racing.
it's a computer. It works standalone, it's not a VR gaming headset.

I suspect part of the reason that it's not going to be on the market until next year is to give application developers time to port their software over to it because at the moment, it only has Apple apps.

Soldato
He raises a lot of good points. I am impressed but what Apple has done with the gesture system and eye tracking. The touching your finger together to click while so simple is a great way to select things.

I agree with His conclusion about years down the line seeing cheaper models. Now we wait for everyone else to copy apple so I can buy those ones :cry:

Soldato

It's a standalone device and all of the integration will be with Apple's ecosystem, macOS, iOS, etc.

He raises a lot of good points. I am impressed but what Apple has done with the gesture system and eye tracking. The touching your finger together to click while so simple is a great way to select things.

I agree with His conclusion about years down the line seeing cheaper models. Now we wait for everyone else to copy apple so I can buy those ones :cry:

I don't think there will be proper copies of this anytime soon that actually work well. Best Snapdragon XR chip (XR2+) is based on ARM A77 (slower than Apple's A11, let alone M2). And that chip needs to process all the sensor information too, unlike Apple's dedicated sensor processing chip. There's a reason performance of all VR headsets is so abysmal.

The only people who can compete with this are Google and Microsoft who have their platforms and software/AI capabilities alongside the resources to design dedicated chips for this, and if they release competing products I highly doubt they'd be cheaper than Apple's. Nvidia can theoretically develop competing hardware but they don't have the software ecosystem, and Nvidia won't be cheap either.

Last edited:
Soldato
All the tech reviewers are all commenting on how heavy it is........I guess it would be with all the hardware inside, no problem if you're an F1 driver with huge neck muscles, but for prolonged use like a film, I'd be concerned.

I defo wanna play with one, but I don't see me getting one until it, or 3, 4th gen or whatever drops below £1500

Back
Top Bottom