Poll: *** The official Apple Vision Pro thread (it has an M2, an R1, loads of cameras, a whopping price tag and everything!) ***

Apple Vision Pro - Are you going to buy one?

• Total voters
Soldato
But will it work with a Windows PC? If not where are all the applications? My VR use is purely gaming, mainly flight simulation and car racing.

it's a computer. It works standalone, it's not a VR gaming headset.

I suspect part of the reason that it's not going to be on the market until next year is to give application developers time to port their software over to it because at the moment, it only has Apple apps.

They did mention Apple Arcane games and being able to play Unity games didn't they?

Soldato
This made me :)

50321806-1.webp

also

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest, what did you use the Hololens for? On a day-to-day basis, how did it fit into your workflow?

I'm in the creative industry, and I can't see any benefit/application for these goggles over my current setup.

Never mind £3.5k worth of benefit. It just feels like an expensive toy at the moment.
It was a trial run and was used in the field for engineering maintenence.

Things like have schematics and drawings up while doing a repair. Doing a live assessment on a video call with live annotations.

In the end woe were looking for things to do with instead of it being a tool we needed for a job. I was happy to see the back of it when I returned it. It was cumbersome and not helpful for our use case.

Soldato
If I was in the market for a new home office work PC and new monitors (I'm maybe 2/3/4 years away) and this looks as good as I think it might become, then yeah. The price is about the same.

Bye bye desk and office chair. Hello arm chair.

Seeing as my eyesight is fading but I don't wear glasses *yet*, that it's possible to put prescription lenses in is good too.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a trial run and was used in the field for engineering maintenence.

Things like have schematics and drawings up while doing a repair. Doing a live assessment on a video call with live annotations.

In the end woe were looking for things to do with instead of it being a tool we needed for a job. I was happy to see the back of it when I returned it. It was cumbersome and not helpful for our use case.

Thanks, that makes sense and confirms my initial skepticism.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Yes, if it works as well as the videos demonstrated, I would buy it.
Having said that, I am wondering if this will reach the UK. I have a feeling as it is only USA initially that it might be gen2 that goes global.
Maybe it is just due to manufacturing rates, but felt, with the long release date, that this may be a beta model in effect, bit like the first Google Glasses.

It is expensive, but as I commented elsewhere there are plenty of us spending similar amounts on PCs and other tech, or foreign holidays.
In the meantime, I’ve bought a Quest 2 to try…

Soldato
I think it could work really well for watching sport. Being able to look around and see everything while watching football or something would be cool. Obviously would require special camera set ups at the stadiums.

Soldato
I think it could work really well for watching sport. Being able to look around and see everything while watching football or something would be cool. Obviously would require special camera set ups at the stadiums.

Apple is already bidding for coverage of sports leagues (mostly in the US), could be part of their long-term plans.

Soldato
Apple is already bidding for coverage of sports leagues (mostly in the US), could be part of their long-term plans.

I think things like this make sense, as it'll bring adoption rates up for kit like this, when there are feasible, every day uses such as watching sports, or playing games etc - I'm super interested in the educational aspect at the moment.

Commissario
OP
Looks like the screens have a 90Hz refresh rate (with special 96Hz for movies), definitely something that needs to be improved in future generations if they want it to feel natural. 240Hz minimum.

but but... ;)

It's diminishing returns as you go up. After 120Hz there really is no big difference except for competitive gamers who want every bit of tiny advantage.

Soldato
Samsung has been working on a competing headset

But after Applenunveiled the vision pro, Samsung realised their headset was too far behind the features Apple was capable of and the headset couldn't be salvaged so the thing was scrapped and now Samsung is working on a new headset that's closer to what Apple is doing

This Samsung headset was going to use an Exynos 2200 SoC, which is very underpowered compared to the dual SoCs in the vision pro

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom