• Yes - 38mm non cellular

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Yes - 42mm non cellular

Votes: 49 28.0%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 71 40.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Well after having used it for the weekend i'm still struggling to decide. I think ultimately i'll keep the Apple Watch. I think the Garmin is overpriced and if it was £200 then it would be an easy decision but at £300 and with the expectation that'll plummet whereas the AW keeps it's value quite well means i'll keep this.

Strava worked quite well on Saturday, it didn't track my run perfectly (i did a 5k Parkrun and it recorded it as 4.6k, but then so did the Garmin and both cut out the same bit) and that's the main use for me.

I have liked replying to messages/emails by dictating the message. So that's a plus. Also the battery has lasted well. I last charged it Saturday around 4pm and i'm still on 51%

I think my main dislike having used it is that the screen doesn't light up with notifications. If i get a text or a call i don't like having to touch the button to light the screen up to see who it is.

Also does anyone know of a sleep tracking app which just works without me having to tell it i'm going to sleep?

Also Also! Any suggestions on third party chargers. It doesn't seem to charge with the wireless charger i have for my Iphone which is annoying. I'd like to have another elsewhere in the house.

Associate
Well after having used it for the weekend i'm still struggling to decide. I think ultimately i'll keep the Apple Watch. I think the Garmin is overpriced and if it was £200 then it would be an easy decision but at £300 and with the expectation that'll plummet whereas the AW keeps it's value quite well means i'll keep this.

Strava worked quite well on Saturday, it didn't track my run perfectly (i did a 5k Parkrun and it recorded it as 4.6k, but then so did the Garmin and both cut out the same bit) and that's the main use for me.

I have liked replying to messages/emails by dictating the message. So that's a plus. Also the battery has lasted well. I last charged it Saturday around 4pm and i'm still on 51%

I think my main dislike having used it is that the screen doesn't light up with notifications. If i get a text or a call i don't like having to touch the button to light the screen up to see who it is.

Also does anyone know of a sleep tracking app which just works without me having to tell it i'm going to sleep?

Also Also! Any suggestions on third party chargers. It doesn't seem to charge with the wireless charger i have for my Iphone which is annoying. I'd like to have another elsewhere in the house.

Autosleep is the sleep tracking app that I use, just set it up on your iPhone then forget about it as it automatically tracks your sleep/heartrate on the watch when you sleep.
Also if you are using a sleep app before you go to bed switch the watch to theatre mode it will use less battery & not light up the screen while you are in bed.

Hope this helps?

Cheers all

Soldato
Yeah i've been using Theatre Mode as otherwise the auto wake kept coming on whenever i moved.

Was one of the plus points of the Apple Watch as the Garmin didn't have the option to quickly switch between the 2 modes.

I'll look into Autosleep. Cheers.

EDIT - Also is there a way to see steps on the homepage instead of the daft Activity circular lines?

Associate
Get hold of an app called Healthview it will show your steps or distance via a complication on any of the watch screens.

It works really well ;)

Cheers all

Soldato
Cheers.

I tried googling it but all i could find were pages telling me to add the Activity complication.

I think i'll eventually find the watch brilliant, it's just knowing all the little tricks to get the best out of it.

As an update to my earlier post - I've found that since updating the IOS on my watch the camera app no longer has any lag :)

Associate
It will take a while for them to load on the watch, look at your complication list in the watch app to check if they are installing.
You can add/choose your complications in the Healthview settings on the phone, once you have set up autosleep you don't need to add anything to the watch it just works :)

Cheers all

Soldato
Nice one, i'll be patient. I did open up the Complications section but there was nothing in there.

Think i added an app the other day too and that's not showing in their either. Don't see an option to force an update either. Will see if they come through in a bit.

Soldato
SO I was waiting for the Airmat to charge both my 8 and watch at the same time however it's just occurred to me that as I have the sport loop, the watch cannot lay down flat as show in the apple promo pictures.

Plus with the price of the mat estimated to be £100+ i'm having a change of thought.

Has anyone got one of these and how do they find it?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produ...t-charge-dock-for-apple-watch-iphone?fnode=97

Soldato
I was looking at that but it annoys me that it uses the lightning port for the Iphone. I'd rather than also be wireless. I love being able to just stick it on my current wireless charger stand rather than making sure i line it up. I used to have one of the small Belkin lightning docks and it was great but my new case doesn't fit on it very well.

As such i've decided that if i definately keep the Apple Watch. I'm gonna get either of these as it doubles up as a portable storage too, the Iwalk is a bigger battery (advertised anyway) and cheaper but a bit of an unknown, but the Belkin is likely to be much better quality, looks more portable too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Charger-Magnetic-Charging-Certified-silver/dp/B01LX2SKMX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10000mAh-L...=1510051029&sr=8-1&keywords=iwalk+apple+watch

Soldato
I've just realised i can manually add steps to the Apple Health app. I wonder if that works for the Vitality points! Also realised the level for 8points is 12,500 steps. Yesterday i got into bed and saw i'd done 11886 so went for a little walk around the house to hit 12000 as i thought that was the top bracket. Luckily i'd done enough of a run earlier to hit the 8 points anyway!

I'm still in the air as to which to keep, which is annoying as i want to buy new a new strap but seems pointless until i make my mind up.

One thing i've noticed is that which i know that the watch doesn't light up for notifications (which i think is stupid), however i've also noticed that my phone doesn't light up either. I always have sound/vibration turned off so the only way i used to know if i had a text/call was the screen lighting up but now only notification i get is a light vibration on my wrist. This has caused me to miss quite a few texts. It's a bit annoying.

Does anyone elses phone work like this since they've got the watch?

Associate
I've just realised i can manually add steps to the Apple Health app. I wonder if that works for the Vitality points! Also realised the level for 8points is 12,500 steps. Yesterday i got into bed and saw i'd done 11886 so went for a little walk around the house to hit 12000 as i thought that was the top bracket. Luckily i'd done enough of a run earlier to hit the 8 points anyway!

I'm still in the air as to which to keep, which is annoying as i want to buy new a new strap but seems pointless until i make my mind up.

One thing i've noticed is that which i know that the watch doesn't light up for notifications (which i think is stupid), however i've also noticed that my phone doesn't light up either. I always have sound/vibration turned off so the only way i used to know if i had a text/call was the screen lighting up but now only notification i get is a light vibration on my wrist. This has caused me to miss quite a few texts. It's a bit annoying.

Does anyone elses phone work like this since they've got the watch?

Pretty sure my watch taps my wrist when I get any notifcations when the watch is in theatre mode which is how I usually have it set when I am at work during the day.

If you are going to get another strap the nylon sport loop is so comfortable, you can adjust it to fit your wrist exactly due to the Velcro fasteners.

Cheers all

Soldato
Just realised that i last charged my phone on Monday at around 6pm and i'm still on 14% That's including 2 "workouts" (treadmill - 50mins and outdoor run with Strava - 30mins) and also some messing around with map navigation on the drive home last night.

That's very impressive compared to what i expected.

Back
Top Bottom