Poll: **** The official Apple Watch Series 5 thread ****

Will you buy the Apple Watch Series 5?

• Total voters
Soldato
Way less convenient than using the watch. I have the cellular watch so often don't even have my phone on me either.
What about in places that don't have contactless? Like me going to Asda and finding out the contactless wasn't working, only had my phone so had to put the stuff back.

It's a great idea but you can't put your trust into it 100% as there's times when the service you are paying for isn't working.

Soldato
In the 3 years I've had an Apple Watch, a series 2 and a series 4 I've never encountered contactless not working, had the occasional failure, very occasional, less than 5 times, but trying again always goes through. How many places are lacking contactless these days? Barely anyone.

Soldato
I've always been curious about the apple watch - but what put me off at the beginning was that it could not detect weightlifting.
I don't run around or ride bicycles for exercise - I hit the gym and lift weights - can the 5 series detect the types of exercise and calculate calories burnt etc correctly or will the watch just think I'm lazy and standing still doing nothing?

Soldato
I've always been curious about the apple watch - but what put me off at the beginning was that it could not detect weightlifting.
I don't run around or ride bicycles for exercise - I hit the gym and lift weights - can the 5 series detect the types of exercise and calculate calories burnt etc correctly or will the watch just think I'm lazy and standing still doing nothing?

There's an "Other" exercise which will help track things based on your HR, so the more elevated it is the more you burn. I'm not sure any tracker would be able to do more than that will it?

Man of Honour

No tracker will properly work during weight training. For many reasons, the two main ones being...

1) It could only go by heart rate, but that is a really poor way of tracking calories burnt etc for weight training. As having a heart rate of 140BPM while doing bicep curls (would be worrying...) would produce far less calories burnt than a 120BPM heart rate during a set of squats with more muscle groups being hit etc
2) The tracker cannot reliably sit on your wrist to read your heart rate when doing upper body exercises, as forearm muscles/wrist positioning and movement will all have a negative effect on the way the tracker sits on your wrist

When I used my Series 3 for my gym sessions, it would regularly have me burning the same amount of calories for a chest session and a leg session. Purely because it went by heart rate and time spent exercising

Soldato
I think I’m going to hold out for another year and go for the Series 6.

I was all set to buy the Series 5 but the more I thought about it my Series 2 is still going strong and does everything I need.
It will still get watchOS 6 update so hopefully that will run ok on it.

Soldato
The Series 2 is incredibly slow compared to the Series 4 and 5, if I still had a 2 I’d definitely be upgrading to the 5.

It was like night and day when I switched from my 2 to a 4.

I can absolutely believe the performance alone would be worth it. I guess I was also just a bit underwhelmed by the Series 5 feature set when it was debuted last week compared to the Series 4.

It’ll come down to how watchOS 6 runs on it, if it’s horribly slow then I may well reluctantly bite and buy a Series 5.

Soldato
Oh wow, a 32gb bump, nice bonus, like I said its the screen that done it for me. I know its not the end of the world, but sometimes when my screen doesnt turn on or what not from raise to wrist i think "man if only.."

Soldato
Not sure if that correlates to more music storage though.

I will be streaming my music for the gym. I have just today finished the transition from my Premium Spotify to Apple Music, didnt want to change eco-system but saves the messing about in the long run!

Soldato
I can absolutely believe the performance alone would be worth it. I guess I was also just a bit underwhelmed by the Series 5 feature set when it was debuted last week compared to the Series 4.

It’ll come down to how watchOS 6 runs on it, if it’s horribly slow then I may well reluctantly bite and buy a Series 5.

No idea when WatchOS 6 even releases for the series 1 and 2, Apple say in the fall, must be getting harder to optimise for the slower chips and anything lower than a series 4 doesn’t get any new watch faces, the noise app or most of the other features.

Soldato
I will be streaming my music for the gym. I have just today finished the transition from my Premium Spotify to Apple Music, didnt want to change eco-system but saves the messing about in the long run!
I love the stream music from you watch thing, just go into the gym with my Jabra ear buds and the watch. So much easier.

Back
Top Bottom