Poll: **** The official Apple Watch Series 5 thread ****

Will you buy the Apple Watch Series 5?

• Total voters
Soldato
Wish I could have gone cellular but O2 business tariffs don't support it apparently. Had to go non in the end, maybe O2 will sort soon, person I spoke to said she's had a lot of enquires about it and all she could suggest was cancelling the business contract and going personal but thats not a route I wanted to go.

Man of Honour
I've got the non-cellular watch and I intend to go running with it. Do I need my phone with me to track my route etc or is that not needed?

Soldato
No, you can run with just the watch. It has built in GPS. I have the S3 non cellular and use it like that.

I also have music stored locally on the watch to pair with headphones.

Not sure about the S5 obviously, but my S3 made it through a very slow (4:45) marathon, tracking my location and playing music to BT headphones. Still had 60% at the end too after starting on around 90%.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me if Apple Watch Cellular works on a Vodafone SIM only plan? I've checked their website and you have to sign in to see if your plan is compatible. I do not currently have a plan with vodafone.

Soldato
Should just be able to add a data plan on the watch.

The vodafone website explains it badly. I don't have a vodafone plan at the moment and am considering getting a 12 month sim only plan from a reseller and then buying the apple watch on a monthly plan from vodafone. I don't want to find that vodafone expect you to have a specific type of 24 month plan (for example) in order for watch data to work. EE explain things more clearly, but their SIM only plans are £20 a month which is more than I intend spending.

Soldato
The vodafone website explains it badly. I don't have a vodafone plan at the moment and am considering getting a 12 month sim only plan from a reseller and then buying the apple watch on a monthly plan from vodafone. I don't want to find that vodafone expect you to have a specific type of 24 month plan (for example) in order for watch data to work. EE explain things more clearly, but their SIM only plans are £20 a month which is more than I intend spending.

Obviously it's a bit of a faff to claim and i don't know how it'll work out, but i've just signed up for this

https://www.metrofone.co.uk/ee-sim-only-deals

It's £22 a month but then you can claim cashback which brings it down to £8pm. The benefit of that company over one of the others is you can upload your bills for the cashback rather than having to post them off like many similar firms.

EE are also offering £25 through topcashback on the Apple Watch :)

Man of Honour
Can anyone tell me if Apple Watch Cellular works on a Vodafone SIM only plan? I've checked their website and you have to sign in to see if your plan is compatible. I do not currently have a plan with vodafone.
Why not just call them and ask, or get a watch from them ?
Some very good deals being had from them for hardware of recent.

Soldato
Why not just call them and ask, or get a watch from them ?
Some very good deals being had from them for hardware of recent.

Yeah I know it would be the sensible thing to do, but there's the waiting in a queue, the sales patter, the tedium of having to fight them off and so on. It's easier and quicker for me to type questions on OCUK and hope someone knows the answer :)

And I won't get a watch from them until I know the answer about the data (the watch is for my wife). If it comes to it, I'll buy outright and deal with the data issue in the future.

Soldato
Guys sell em on the cellular Watch 5. I'm probably going to head to Brent Cross in the morning ands grab a GPS version but I'm with O2 so I can add a cellular watch to my plan through the iPhone watch app. What are the benefits those of you that have the cellular version that makes it worth the extra £100?

Soldato
Show off, mines coming around 1ish, i've told my wife to make sure she's home.

I feel thats the problem with upgrading with Apple these days though. I know it's going to be 99% the same as my current watch so doesn't quite have that new toy feel.

Same with an Iphone. You backup and restore the new phone and it operates just the same as the old one with a few more/less features.

I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. Just ruins that new toy feel a little!

Man of Honour
I’ve not owned an Apple Watch before. Well, I had one for about a week and sent it back - series 2 I believe. I’ll be keeping this one.

Associate
I also never had apple watch, but while in store today I had a look. I was surprised how tiny it is, after looking at photos and videos, kinda had impression that it it bigger and thicker in real life. Very close to get the titanium one, but need to think about it:rolleyes:

Soldato
I’m going to get the 44mm Stainless steel when I’m in Australia next month and save myself £120 depending on the exchange rate, and hopefully get the GST back when I leave

Soldato
Not sure if it’s the always on or a change because of the cellular version but battery seems poor compared to my S3.

Might turn cellular off and then just stick it on when needed and see if that helps.

I’ve also found it doesn’t seem to charge as well on my charger as my S3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom