*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
was going to wake my son and daughter up for viewing last night - but I didn't bother in the end as it was hard going - I kept trying in intervals up to about 2.30 to see if the peak would intensify

I probably spent about an hour + outside in 20 min intervals -and I saw about 11 Perseids in total - only 2 were reasonably special (one did leave a trail)

even though I wrapped up warm I got cold, had neck ache - and am shattered this morning

Soldato
A superb pic from Meiford:

9499577604_9d62cf8a7b_c.jpg

Sorry forgot to clarify this certainly isn't my pic, but can be found here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/astropix/9499577604/

Last edited:
Soldato
It was clear over mine but there was too much light pollution, sat outside for 20 mins and didn't see squat,

The pic above it amazing and now my lock screen picture on my phone, hope that't ok. Thanks.

Soldato
Tibbz....what camera / lens / settings did you use to take that pic? It amazingly great.

Am wanting to get into wide astro photography like that..in fact just bought an EQ2 mount and tripod off the MM as a starter for 10. Next step is teh motors for it and a DSLR mount

Sorry not my pic, it's one on an astro forum from another member but I couldn't help sharing it because it's great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astropix/9499577604/ - The pic on his flickr

I don't know if flickr have a messaging system but if you wanted to know I could ask him?

Associate
Just jumped on Flickr and it has the settings he used in a comment there.....for those who are interested.....

its a two panel mosaic, top and bottom, but essentially a 30second exposure...8000iso on a NikonD3s, 17mm lens working at f3.5

Soldato
Just jumped on Flickr and it has the settings he used in a comment there.....for those who are interested.....

its a two panel mosaic, top and bottom, but essentially a 30second exposure...8000iso on a NikonD3s, 17mm lens working at f3.5

Ah great! :)

I'm thinking of getting a DSLR at some point, and would love to do some widefield shots but motorized mounts are just too much money :(

Associate
I managed to grab the EQ2 inc tripod for £72.00 from the MM.

Just been reading some reviews and it appears to be ok, but most are saying that getting a spot on polar alignment is critical for decent shots.

Being completely new to this (inc astronomy, not just astro-photography) feel there is a fair bit to learn.

Just wondering if there is a groovy hot shoe gadget to be able to get me aligned

Soldato
I managed to grab the EQ2 inc tripod for £72.00 from the MM.

Just been reading some reviews and it appears to be ok, but most are saying that getting a spot on polar alignment is critical for decent shots.

Being completely new to this (inc astronomy, not just astro-photography) feel there is a fair bit to learn.

Just wondering if there is a groovy hot shoe gadget to be able to get me aligned

Awesome :)

I can't really provide a massive amount of help with polar alignment because I have a dobsonian mount, sorry :( I think for PA with something like an EQ2 you will just need a good eye to line up the mount with polaris roughly, I don't think you can put a PA scope in an EQ2...

Soldato
^^ No! Those are telephone wires!

:)

The two trails might just as easily be satellites? They are about the same length (taking perspective into account) so suggest this?

Out of interest about a 10-20 second exposure?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, that's what someone else said in the photography forum, they shouldn't be so "uniform".

Yes, 15 seconds, f1.4, 24mm but I can't use the crazy ISO speeds above, this one is just 400. Anything more than 20 seconds and I capture an orange glow from a nearby town.

Back
Top Bottom